Laminated floor repair

Partsbob

Has anyone else out there had the need to have their Heartland laminated floor repaired due to water damage and, if so, was the dealer successful in making it “invisible”? It was discovered in our 2019 North Trail, just prior to the 1st year warranty expiring, that the piping coming through the floor to the water heater had a pin-hole and had been spraying whenever connected to a water source, causing the front storage area to stay wet in that corner. The leak was repaired, but I discovered the vinyl separating and depressions in the floor near the water heater after the repair, depressions likely due to the tech’s elbows working on the leak, and what appears to be flooring expansion behind the molding OUTSIDE the wall, so we scheduled to have the affected sub-flooring repaired under Factory warranty.
It’s currently at the dealer having it repaired now, but my concern is just how good the repair will be, even with a Certified tech doing the work. We already had a previous vinyl flooring repair done, so we have plenty of extra vinyl to match, but being that this is being done right at the outside wall, under the water heater and under the front bed, I am concerned about this not being done at the Factory. Of course I know Factory work could take months, especially now, and incur transportation costs, but the dealer (who I have had Exceptional service with so far!), assures me that they are fully capable of the repair.
I know the laminated floor construction and am not concerned about possible structural issues, expecting they will only replace the upper layer of plywood and fill any foam depressions, but I don’t know how they can replace what runs between the framing and the wall base. Granted, I’m thankful this isn’t being done in the living area where it will be visible, but I’m curious if others have had this experience as well?

4AB2067B-459C-403D-B512-5A4F804AD389.jpegC610A0F7-B646-4051-A0A4-C451401561CC.jpeg

Last edited:

Partsbob

Okay, though there hasn’t been any replies or comments to my post, we picked up our NT today from the dealer with the floor repair completed after about 45 days. Apparently my concerns were not necessary as the job was completed nicely, with the subfloor and vinyl of the entire front 12’ of storage area and bedroom replaced under warranty. They did an excellent job of matching the vinyl “plank” flooring where it joined the original vinyl, though I was disappointed that transition-strips were installed over the joints between the bedroom and living room, though they look factory installed. The tech did tell me the laminated flooring top layer was particleboard, rather than plywood, so it’s no wonder it swelled once water contacted it under the vinyl. I’ve been very pleased with this dealer’s Service Dept from Day 1!

centerline

Okay, though there hasn’t been any replies or comments to my post, we picked up our NT today from the dealer with the floor repair completed after about 45 days. Apparently my concerns were not necessary as the job was completed nicely, with the subfloor and vinyl of the entire front 12’ of storage area and bedroom replaced under warranty. They did an excellent job of matching the vinyl “plank” flooring where it joined the original vinyl, though I was disappointed that transition-strips were installed over the joints between the bedroom and living room, though they look factory installed. The tech did tell me the laminated flooring top layer was particleboard, rather than plywood, so it’s no wonder it swelled once water contacted it under the vinyl. I’ve been very pleased with this dealer’s Service Dept from Day 1!

glad to hear it came out looking nice... but this statement has me worried "The tech did tell me the laminated flooring top layer was particleboard, rather than plywood"....

OSB is bad enough, but are they going back to using particle board in the structural parts of RV's?... we ALL can only hope not.

Partsbob

Yes, I was shocked at the statement, but since I didn’t see my old flooring or the new before the vinyl was installed, I can only hope it was actually OSB and he was just giving a generalization.

ShannonQ

Has anyone else out there had the need to have their Heartland laminated floor repaired due to water damage and, if so, was the dealer successful in making it “invisible”? It was discovered in our 2019 North Trail, just prior to the 1st year warranty expiring, that the piping coming through the floor to the water heater had a pin-hole and had been spraying whenever connected to a water source, causing the front storage area to stay wet in that corner. The leak was repaired, but I discovered the vinyl separating and depressions in the floor near the water heater after the repair, depressions likely due to the tech’s elbows working on the leak, and what appears to be flooring expansion behind the molding OUTSIDE the wall, so we scheduled to have the affected sub-flooring repaired under Factory warranty.
It’s currently at the dealer having it repaired now, but my concern is just how good the repair will be, even with a Certified tech doing the work. We already had a previous vinyl flooring repair done, so we have plenty of extra vinyl to match, but being that this is being done right at the outside wall, under the water heater and under the front bed, I am concerned about this not being done at the Factory. Of course I know Factory work could take months, especially now, and incur transportation costs, but the dealer (who I have had Exceptional service with so far!), assures me that they are fully capable of the repair.
I know the laminated floor construction and am not concerned about possible structural issues, expecting they will only replace the upper layer of plywood and fill any foam depressions, but I don’t know how they can replace what runs between the framing and the wall base. Granted, I’m thankful this isn’t being done in the living area where it will be visible, but I’m curious if others have had this experience as well?

View attachment 65017View attachment 65018
We have a 2018 and just realized the dinette area is full of mold and mildew. We have tore out the dinette and the floor/subfloor will have to be replaced. Obviously the carpet has to go also.
The water was dripping down and going over the lip then wicking into the wood floor underneath. What a mess!!
That being said, we would like to replace with the same laminate. Did they give you any information on the flooring? Manufacturer etc?