overflow on fresh water on new campers or just the older or more expensive ones?

marknewbill

Ok, I didn't want to hijack the thread where the guys were discussing a specific leak. I had to wonder do I have an overflow on my fresh water since I also have a vent pipe near the fill? I couldn't imagine why there would be an overflow and a vent pipe. when I fill, and leave the hose until full, and just let the hose trickle, the water comes out the vent. is my vent my overflow? or is there something separate. They could have plumbed the overflow to come out the roof (with a cap so birds dont poop in it) or something like that and avoided all sorts of the issues i was reading about. then you are reminded about the hose by your new outdoor shower! maybe a pressure relief valve for say 1psi?

2021 pioneer re275

Thanks,
MN

danemayer

Hi Mark,

There are 2 types of fill setups for the fresh tank. On some rigs, there's a 4-way Anderson Valve. When you hook up the water hose, you turn the valve to TANK and the water from the hose fills the tank under pressure from the spigot. This type always has overflows because when filling under pressure, you can damage the tank if it is overfilled.

The other type is known as a gravity fill. The hose fits loosely into an opening that has a small vent next to it. The Heartland Manual warns not to push the hose tightly into the opening so as to not overfill the tank.

On some newer builds, the gravity fill type could have tank overflows as well as a vent. If water comes out of fittings on either side of the frame when the tank is full, you have overflows. Otherwise, the water will back up into the fill tube where the hose sits, and also spit out of the vent tube.

marknewbill

Hi Mark,

There are 2 types of fill setups for the fresh tank. On some rigs, there's a 4-way Anderson Valve. When you hook up the water hose, you turn the valve to TANK and the water from the hose fills the tank under pressure from the spigot. This type always has overflows because when filling under pressure, you can damage the tank if it is overfilled.

The other type is known as a gravity fill. The hose fits loosely into an opening that has a small vent next to it. The Heartland Manual warns not to push the hose tightly into the opening so as to not overfill the tank.

On some newer builds, the gravity fill type could have tank overflows as well as a vent. If water comes out of fittings on either side of the frame when the tank is full, you have overflows. Otherwise, the water will back up into the fill tube where the hose sits, and also spit out of the vent tube.

Thanks 😊