Thread: Central Valley California to Orlando Florida 12/21

1. Print this Post   #1

Central Valley California to Orlando Florida 12/21

We are planning a trip to Disney World the first of December 2021 from Turlock CA, what is the consensus? I have not tried a winter trip cross country! Is the southern route pretty good that time of year? Also any suggestions on were to stay in Orlando and I was also thinking on staying for a while maybe going to the Keys?

Thanks
    Bill

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Central Valley California to Orlando Florida 12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Turlockbill View Post
    We are planning a trip to Disney World the first of December 2021 from Turlock CA, what is the consensus? I have not tried a winter trip cross country! Is the southern route pretty good that time of year? Also any suggestions on were to stay in Orlando and I was also thinking on staying for a while maybe going to the Keys?

Thanks
    Bill
    We really enjoyed the KOA in Kissimmee, FL. Great location for access to all the Orlando theme parks. Also restaurants, etc. We were there for two months.
    Terry & June

Rallys/Campouts
    2013: Williston, FL: Montgomery, TX: Elephant Butte, NM: Colorado Springs, CO: Chatham, IL
    2014: Rifle, CO: Huachuca City, AZ
    2015: Quartzite, AZ: Moab, UT: Heber City, UT: Central City, CO: Camp Verde, AZ
    2016: Tucson, AZ

3. Print this Post   #3

Thanks
    Bill
    Wow. What a trip that would be. Hopefully, our nation is well on the way to some form of normalcy by then.
    Im sure someone will give you info on how to best get thru the western tier states. Once you drop down to I10, except for the occasional weather system, youre good to go all the way to Florida staying on I10. We went to Orlando 2 years ago and stayed at Fort Wilderness which is part of the Disney complex. Spaces were rather tight but we were able to get our Cyclone in without to much trouble. Being on Disney property has its perks but there are other nice parks in the area, as was mentioned.
    Were headed for the Keys in April of this year and have reservations at Marathon, Fl.
    Enjoy your trip. The winter isnt a problem once you get to central Texas.
    Eddie and Jomaye
    HOC #7088

2015 Heartland Cyclone 4100 HD
    -4 U Cam observation camera
    -Dish Tailgater Pro
    -On The Go Double Standard softener
    -Splendide washer/dryer combo
    -TireMinder bluetooth TPMS
    -RV Smart 50 amp surge protector

2019 Ford F-350 DRW FX4 Lariat
    -Ultimate Lariat package
    -4:10 LS gears
    -2 front lift/Bilstein shocks
    -Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags
    -Air Lift Gen 2 Bluetooth wireless compressor
    -20k Reese fifth wheel and rail adapter
    -35 TOYO Open Country M/T tires on stock 17 rims
    -RDS 60 gal tool box combo w/gauge
    -RV Toll Pass

4. Print this Post   #4

Thanks
    Bill
    We have traveled California/ Florida too many time to count and taken every route. Each trip was wonderful and special to my wife and myself. I would lean toward I5 to I10 to I75 in the winter months if I had a tight schedule.

Come by the Florida Panhandle and see the Sugar Sand Beaches.

Mike

5. Print this Post   #5

Thanks
    Bill
    Three years ago we took our Cyclone from Tulsa, Oklahoma to southern California to spend Christmas with family (I grew up in the Los Angeles area). We kept a close eye on the weather travelling I-40 west until Flagstaff, then cut down to I-10 for the rest of the way to southern California. We didn't hit any bad weather, but on previous trips I've hit snow on I-40 anywhere east of Flagstaff. I would suggest working your way down the central valley, cut across north of the mountains to avoid Los Angeles, and then at some point drop down to I-10 and then keep heading east. Better chance of avoiding winter weather the further south you travel.
    John Marnell and Christina Cox
    Member #3921
    2018 Cyclone 4005
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat DRW

6. Print this Post   #6

You can avoid a lot of the central Los Angeles basin by taking Ca. Hwy 58 East from Bakersfield. Tehachapi pass isn't that bad on grades, and a lot less travelled than the Grapevine (I-5) pass. Hwy 58 East of the mountains across the upper antelope valley desert to Barstow is a piece of cake, mostly 4 lane expressway. Barstow is where I-40 Eastbound starts; or you can jog south 70 miles (?) off of Hwy 58 at Kramer junction on US 395 (or I-15 South at Barstow) (or even on Ca. 247) to connect with I-10 Eastbound. I have driven all of these towing the Bighorn (especially the 59-395-I15 route) to get from the central valley to the Riverside county/San Diego area.
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"