Anyone out there with a Shoreline Reel for the 50 amp cord?

md80max

My Bighorn 3270RS was traded in at a Newmar dealer. Just before the purchase there was a walk thru with demonstrations that every thing worked.

When we proceeded outside, the rv was was plugged in and they wanted to demonstrate that it worked but it didn't. 1100.00 dollars was the retail price for this and they covered all of as they should. Apparently someone new just grabbed the cord and pulled out quickly without pushing the release button.

Now my question...when I push the momentary release and then pull the cord...is it supposed to free wheel because there is a lot of drag. Not bad really so I just pull it out slowly and so far its still working. It still makes me a bit nervous because I don't want a 1100.00 bill replacing it.

Is all of this normal?

Thanks!

Last edited:

danemayer

I'm a little confused about what trailer the power reel is on as you mentioned you traded your Bighorn at a Newmar dealer. The reason I mention that is that not all reels will necessarily be from the same manufacturer or operate the same way.

The original reel on our 2011 Landmark unspooled with a little drag (no release button). It was replaced in 2016 because of damage to the plug. The new reel has a release button. When pressed, the cord pulls with no drag or resistance.

md80max

I'm a little confused about what trailer the power reel is on as you mentioned you traded your Bighorn at a Newmar dealer. The reason I mention that is that not all reels will necessarily be from the same manufacturer or operate the same way.

The original reel on our 2011 Landmark unspooled with a little drag (no release button). It was replaced in 2016 because of damage to the plug. The new reel has a release button. When pressed, the cord pulls with no drag or resistance.

Dan,

Thank you for your reply. I re-read my post and I can see where it's confusing, sorry about that. Let me clarify. The previous owner traded the Bighorn on a new Newmar. I purchased from National Indoor Rv in Lewisville Texas and they just happen to be a Newmar dealer. I am the second owner.

Below is a link of what I have. I also notice when I searched for this link, this can be purchased in the 600.00 to 700.00 dollar range. Maybe, the 1100 dollar quote ( when I asked how much this would cost me IF I ever came back here to get it replaced ) and he stated the 1100.00. After watching the techs install it, I was really pretty simple and something I can do on my own should I ever need too. Thank you again for your reply!

https://rvpower.southwire.com/products/shoreline-reels/rv-power-cord-reel-rl54/

jbs80122

Our 2018 3870FB has the power reel. Every now and then, it's a little draggy when pulling the cord out, but pressing the release side of the switch frees it up shortly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Ours has a mind of it's own I feel. Sometimes when you hit the release side of switch, all is dandy. Other times, no go, so just press and hold and it will power unreal the cord. Sad part of things for us is that HL didn't allow more room for the reel ends shroud under it, so the reels have cut 2 grooves/holes in the shroud.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My 2018 Landmark has a lot of drag on it when rolling it out and I hate it. I wish I had the old style back with no release, just free wheel.

md80max

I sent an email to Southwire who is the manufacturer of this Shoreline Reel and here was the reply i received today.

Hi Max:

Momentarily pushing the release labeled rocker switch will release the clutch pins from the reel allowing it to free wheel out. Hand rotating the reel back and forth a couple of times will do the same thing. Needs to be moved maybe an inch or two.

david-steph2018

We have a power reel on the Road Warrior and it broke down in January 2019 and I add to repair it. The inner assembly was made of plastic and it tore apart. When I contacted Southwire they sent a replacement part made of aluminum. We have to push and hold the release button and pull the cable out. But now I only pull a short section of cord out and use an extension cord to run to the power pedestal. I don't know but to me I am thinking that is allot of weight on the reel to pull in the whole cord, so I only release a little section of cord. Don't know if my thinking is right about the weight capacity but it may have something to do with it tearing the internal assembly apart.

Dahillbilly

We have a power reel on the Road Warrior and it broke down in January 2019 and I add to repair it. The inner assembly was made of plastic and it tore apart. When I contacted Southwire they sent a replacement part made of aluminum. We have to push and hold the release button and pull the cable out. But now I only pull a short section of cord out and use an extension cord to run to the power pedestal. I don't know but to me I am thinking that is allot of weight on the reel to pull in the whole cord, so I only release a little section of cord. Don't know if my thinking is right about the weight capacity but it may have something to do with it tearing the internal assembly apart.
Caution with leaving the cord reeled up & using it. This coiled up cord will heat up when under a load!! Just look at any magnetic coil application the coil heats up. Maybe not enough to cause a fire BUT the heat build up is present.

Whit5661

We have a 2020 Landmark Newport and it has the same reel. We’ve experienced multiple issues with the switch getting wet when it rains and not working and recently experienced issues with the reel not winding up the cord. We were forced to wind it all in by hand, which is not an easy task. I don’t understand why they didn’t design these with a backup hand crank.
Nonetheless, I contacted Landmark and they shipped out parts to make repairs.
In the meantime, the power on our rig was flashing on and off. My bride noticed this happening while I was messing around with the reel. This issue has been happening ever since we bought the unit new in September 2019. We had taken it back to the dealer several times and each time they claimed to have fixed it. Never once was the issue identified as being in the reel.
That being said, when the flashing occurred while I was attempting to rewind the cord, I began to investigate and found that where the cord attaches to the reel spool in the center (behind a metal cover), the wire terminals were loose and had been that way for quite some time, even possibly since construction.
The terminals had gotten so hot from being loose that they finally burnt off one of the terminals.
Southwire has finally shipped a new reel and we hope to receive it soon.
Thanks to our outstanding mobile service for helping us out with this because the dealer couldn’t figure it out.