Is there a need to lube the power landing jacks?

Big-B

Greetings,

We have a 2011 Bighorn and just recently the landing jacks have been blowing the 30 amp fuses and I'm wondering if something needs to be lubed. Same thing on the big slide only that one has a self resetting breaker on it. I suspect that the landing jacks also were fused with a breaker but someone put a fuse in it's place. There is one open breaker and I think that is where the landing jacks used to be wired to.

The slide breaker usually only blows the breaker when it's cold out and the hydraulic fluid is cold. Should slides be lubed too. Our old Montana had tubing that slid on steel and I used to spray it with graphite lube.

Anybody else ever have these problems?

carl.swoyer

Replace the breaker with another 30 amp. Auto reset
They do go bad.
Stay with the 30amp as your wiring is fo 30 amp .
Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Gary521

If you have the electric landing jacks, yes, they need to be lubed. But doing this is very difficult. There is an inner jack screw that runs on a large nut to raise and lower the front of the trailer.

centerline

the jack screw and gears INSIDE the landing gear can be lubed, but NOT the legs or anything on the exterior of them, as they will collect dust and only make it worse....

and yes, the slides could use lubrication to allow them to move a little easier.... spray lube, wet or dry is a good choice for this purpose, used lightly on the gears and where the contact points are for the slide rails.... most all of the good quality slide rails run on bearings, so the slide unit will usually always move easy unless there is a problem somewhere, but the gears can get noisy if they get extremely dry...

some of the older or poorer quality slide rails dont have the bearings but slide on UHMW bushings, and these benefit more from being lubricated more often than the newer, bearing type does...

Big-B

Replace the breaker with another 30 amp. Auto reset
They do go bad.
Stay with the 30amp as your wiring is fo 30 amp .

There is an open breaker in the strip of breakers and I'm planning on hooking the landing jacks back up to that one. If it gives me problems I have a spare that I'll put in place of it. I've blown three of four 30 amp fuses in the last few weeks. It just seems odd that it never blew a fuse until recently. That's why I was wondering about lubrication.

carl.swoyer

There is an open breaker in the strip of breakers and I'm planning on hooking the landing jacks back up to that one. If it gives me problems I have a spare that I'll put in place of it. I've blown three of four 30 amp fuses in the last few weeks. It just seems odd that it never blew a fuse until recently. That's why I was wondering about lubrication.
If you have scissor jacks lubricant all moving parts with bowsheild t-9 lubricant.
5d4160d87369031b6a50b4ebc35903af.jpg