12v to Alligator Clip Adapter

GregD904

Good Afternoon,

This may not be the right place to ask, but hopefully someone can help. I bought a heavy-duty air compressor so that I could easily inflate the tires on my Prowler Lynx 25LX. This unit is DC powered, but it has alligator clips on it.

I am looking to find an adapter that I can "clip" the alligator clips to and it can then connect to a 12VDC cigarette lighter plug in the truck. When on the road, unstrapping the batteries on the camper to clip onto, or trying to hook them up to my trucks battery is very inconvenient, especially if I needed to use it while on the road.

I have been searching the internet for a long time for some type of adapter, but the results keep coming up with 12DC female TO alligator clip adapters, which is obviously not what I am looking for. If anyone has any suggestions as to any such type adapter, I would much appreciate it.

Here is the model of compressor I have for refrernce: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B68XGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Greg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That compressor will draw up to 30 amps. Way too much for a cigarette lighter plug.
There is a reason they say alligator clips to battery.
There are heavy duty plugs that you could wire to your battery.

Peace
Dave

GregD904

That compressor will draw up to 30 amps. Way too much for a cigarette lighter plug.
There is a reason they say alligator clips to battery.
There are heavy duty plugs that you could wire to your battery.

Peace
Dave

Dave,

Thank you for the info, I guess that answers my question, it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centerline

im not sure of the viability of your plan due to the amp draw of the compressor, but they do make plug-in adaptors such as you describe, but are hard to find. you might look around at a truckstop, where they carry all types of convenient adaptors for truck drivers needs....

another way to get one is to make your own.... take an old cig plug power adaptor, with heavy wires, cut the wire to length, strip the ends of the wires and then tin them with solder, or crimp some bare (stripped of insulation) butt connectors to the end of the wires for a good durable terminal to connect your alligator clips to...

danemayer

You have the right idea. It's very handy to just plug in and adapter and clip onto the adapter terminals. I've been doing that with my ViAir for quite a few years. So you need to make one to plug into your 7-pin truck connector. Here's a picture of mine.

If I recall correctly, looking at the pin end of the plug, the 12V wire goes to the 11 o'clock position and the ground to 5 o'clock. You should doublecheck by taking a voltage reading at the truck and match that location to the plug.

I think those are battery terminal bolts from Walmart. The 7-pin connector should be available at any RV dealer parts dep't or on Amazon. I don't remember, but the wire looks like it's solid core AWG 10. Buy a foot or two of each color at a hardware store.

2015-12-12 15.04.06.jpg

GregD904

Thank you for this suggestion, this is a great idea!

You have the right idea. It's very handy to just plug in and adapter and clip onto the adapter terminals. I've been doing that with my ViAir for quite a few years. So you need to make one to plug into your 7-pin truck connector. Here's a picture of mine.

If I recall correctly, looking at the pin end of the plug, the 12V wire goes to the 11 o'clock position and the ground to 5 o'clock. You should doublecheck by taking a voltage reading at the truck and match that location to the plug.

I think those are battery terminal bolts from Walmart. The 7-pin connector should be available at any RV dealer parts dep't or on Amazon. I don't remember, but the wire looks like it's solid core AWG 10. Buy a foot or two of each color at a hardware store.

View attachment 65032

Dahillbilly

Being a retired electrician I would go with what wdk450 suggested. That will handle the amp draw just make sure to use an in-line fuse near the battery connection and use 12awg (30amp rated) or a 10awg wire.