Dometic Thermostat

How hard would it be to switch from Dometic 3316250.012 to a Dometic 3314082000? I have a 2018 Heartland Big Country and the absolute hate the most is the thermostats in this thing. I have 2 A/C and they have their own thermostats. One in the master and the other for the living room and big furnace. The thermostats that are installed have three wires going in it, while the other has a plug in that looks like a phone plug in.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don’t know if those types are interchangeable.

But you might look at the MicroAir EasyTouch RV thermostat. You can control it remotely with your smartphone! It’s also much easier to see and adjust, in general. We love ours. It seems to control the temp of the coach much better than the original Dometic.

https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32199143555156

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

after the first month of having the ones installed, I knew I wouldn't like them and have had problems ever since. I am going to try to switch them tomorrow and see if it works.

Matt750

How hard would it be to switch from Dometic 3316250.012 to a Dometic 3314082000? I have a 2018 Heartland Big Country and the absolute hate the most is the thermostats in this thing. I have 2 A/C and they have their own thermostats. One in the master and the other for the living room and big furnace. The thermostats that are installed have three wires going in it, while the other has a plug in that looks like a phone plug in.

The Microair is probably the better bet; however, Dometic does make a Bluetooth version of the thermostats you are looking to replace.

The Microair is probably the better bet; however, Dometic does make a Bluetooth version of the thermostats you are looking to replace.

I'm just not going to spend $500 on two thermostats. I really don't like the Dometic thats in there right now and want to do something different.

6.7LMegaCab

Why not just install a home style thermostat?

I installed one like the $20 Honeywell 5/2 day programmable thermostat in my old 2008 Weekend Warrior (which worked really well!) and am contemplating on replacing both the thermostats in my 2014 Heartland with a similar one.

Any reason why something like that won't work in these rigs?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Roller4tan

If your current thermostat has more than 3 wires, a residential thermostat will probably work. My 5er has three wires for the dometic, so I got the MicroAir,

6.7LMegaCab

Thanks for info. I'll pull the thermostats back before buying a residential thermostat to see how many wires there are. My old weekend Warrior had a Dometic A/C and the only thing we could control was whether the A/C or fan was on high or low. We set it to run on high.

Edit:
The current t-stats are the round-ish style with a single button to cycle through Off-Fan-AC-Heat and two buttons to change the temp (or set fan to high, low, or auto). One is in the bedroom (heater not connected), the other is in the main area with heater connected.

centerline

Why not just install a home style thermostat?

I installed one like the $20 Honeywell 5/2 day programmable thermostat in my old 2008 Weekend Warrior (which worked really well!) and am contemplating on replacing both the thermostats in my 2014 Heartland with a similar one.

Any reason why something like that won't work in these rigs?

Yes... a residential t-stat will work.... if its programmable, it NEEDS to be a battery operated thermostat... if it happens to be a rare one that gets its power from the home or furnace unit, it wouldnt be a good choice.

the modern and popular programmable home t-stats operate from their own battery power.... and sends the same signals that any heating/cooling system needs to operate properly... and the good ones are interchangeable, so they can be set up for use on a 2.3.4 or 5 wire system.

the programmable "RV" t-stats are expensive when compared to the correct home t-stat does the same thing at nearly half the price....

danemayer

I think the Dometic digital thermostats use a proprietary control system which would make them not compatible with residential thermostats.

6.7LMegaCab

Thank you!

That's a bummer. I found the "install and users" manual for the thermostat we have, but it doesn't actually detail how to install it (basically, no references to wiring or other external control boxes). I need to go out to see what the A/C models are I suppose. Perhaps the wiring right off of them would be similar to residential thermostats.

I really dislike proprietary systems.

The plus side is that these little thermostats might be better than I thought, maybe. Supposedly if the unit is off, you can press the + or - buttons to display interior temp. Not ideal, but good for now. That is why I want to upgrade so I can view the actual interior temp as it is cooling down or heating up.

Josh

centerline

Thank you!

That's a bummer. I found the "install and users" manual for the thermostat we have, but it doesn't actually detail how to install it (basically, no references to wiring or other external control boxes). I need to go out to see what the A/C models are I suppose. Perhaps the wiring right off of them would be similar to residential thermostats.

I really dislike proprietary systems.

The plus side is that these little thermostats might be better than I thought, maybe. Supposedly if the unit is off, you can press the + or - buttons to display interior temp. Not ideal, but good for now. That is why I want to upgrade so I can view the actual interior temp as it is cooling down or heating up.

Josh
have you thought about hanging a dollar thermometer in the trailer, to take the reading?..... or go digital and get the 10 dollar model.

I purchased an indoor weather station for our trailer, but is really nothing more than an indoor/outdoor thermometer with automatic baro system that displays the most likely weather pattern we should see within the next 12 hours....
and as long as the cheap thermostat, that was installed at the factory, keeps cycling the furnace/AC on and off as it should, its a good working system.... usually the difference between a good operating t-stat, and one that doesnt allow for good heating/cooling of the area, is the anticipator setting may be wrong... its a bit harder to understand the importance of, and adjust the anticipator, but its what allows for even and efficient heating and cooling cycles. and all t-stats have the feature, but it may be called something else by that particular manufacture.

Yes... a residential t-stat will work.... if its programmable, it NEEDS to be a battery operated thermostat... if it happens to be a rare one that gets its power from the home or furnace unit, it wouldnt be a good choice.

the modern and popular programmable home t-stats operate from their own battery power.... and sends the same signals that any heating/cooling system needs to operate properly... and the good ones are interchangeable, so they can be set up for use on a 2.3.4 or 5 wire system.

the programmable "RV" t-stats are expensive when compared to the correct home t-stat does the same thing at nearly half the price....

I've always wanted to try to put something like the google nest or something like that in it, but was always told residential ones wouldn't work for RVs

HOOKERUP

I've always wanted to try to put something like the google nest or something like that in it, but was always told residential ones wouldn't work for RVs
I would say that residential tstats are 24v not able to be hard wired into a 12v rv ( unless it is invented today )

6.7LMegaCab

I would say that residential tstats are 24v not able to be hard wired into a 12v rv ( unless it is invented today )
They are able to be used on models with the old mechanical thermostat. I put a basic Honeywell 5/2 programmable in my old 2008 RV. Now, as far as these newer RVs with the controller box for the Dometic thermostats, looking at the wiring diagram of these newer AC units (well, 2014ish) appears to show the controller is added to the AC unit and the wiring for the heater is ran to that box, just to reduce the amount of wires going to the thermostat, which for single zone, is 3. The diagram appears to show the wires from the AC are still there (with colored wires), just stops at the controller.

Doesn't seem like much was accomplished by this move, because only 2 less wires are being ran from the AC unit to the thermostat.

Once I'm able to get back out to my rig, I'm going to pull the lower off to inspect what Dometic has attempted to accomplish.

6.7LMegaCab

have you thought about hanging a dollar thermometer in the trailer, to take the reading?..... or go digital and get the 10 dollar model.

I purchased an indoor weather station for our trailer, but is really nothing more than an indoor/outdoor thermometer with automatic baro system that displays the most likely weather pattern we should see within the next 12 hours....
and as long as the cheap thermostat, that was installed at the factory, keeps cycling the furnace/AC on and off as it should, its a good working system.... usually the difference between a good operating t-stat, and one that doesnt allow for good heating/cooling of the area, is the anticipator setting may be wrong... its a bit harder to understand the importance of, and adjust the anticipator, but its what allows for even and efficient heating and cooling cycles. and all t-stats have the feature, but it may be called something else by that particular manufacture.
Yes I thought of getting one to hang on the wall, however, I tend to think manufacturers tend to go cheap, and something better is often available for less than what RV product manufacturers try to up sell their products for, in this case Dometic. After looking up the details for the thermostats in my rig, they pack quite a few features in it. They could have made it show the actual current temperature instead of the set temperature (while the unit is on), and users could just press the up/down arrow to see what the set temp is. In fact, that is how one of the t-stats in my house works.

I did find that the heater differential setting (if that is what you were talking about) can be set to either 1 or 2 degrees. Another plus for that little unit. I'm going to change it to 2 (if not already set).

Despite the features, I don't believe that unit to be very accurate, but, the only way to verify is by getting one to hang on the wall. I have an extra one that I bought for the freezers (can be used for room temp as well), so I'll dig that up to hang out there on our next trip.

Hollandt

Based on my research the best option is probably the MicroAir EasyTouch RV thermostat. I have considered upgrading to this unit but so far the original device is working.

centerline

if the system is proprietary, meaning a special built system used only by that manufacture or type of product, then no, a home thermostat wont work...

neither will a "LINE" thermostat, which is used to control the heater directly from the AC power source....

the normal common thermostat is just a device that either makes or breaks a connection for a signal to pass to the control board of the furnace, or, the newer type "sends" a signal to latching relays within the furnace control system....

I will agree that not ALL residential thermostats will work, but the ones made for older type systems will... such as a "universal" type Thermostat, which can be a battery operated programmable unit, or the simple adjustable mechanical type...

Chippendale

I am down by Corpus Christi, and last night almost froze to death, no electricity and dead batteries and then about noon today power is turned back on and the heater started right up. Only problem is the thermostat is set at 75 degrees, it won't change up or down nor can you cut it off. But it is recycling on and off about every 4.5 to 5 minutes. I called a mobile repair guy and he had me remove the unit from the wall and remove the phone jack plug for a couple of minutes and put it back. No improvement, but in trying to get something to happen it showed an E1 error code which the book says "is a loss of communication between the CCC 2 Dometic thermostat and an individual system power module board". It doesn't say if the problem is in the thermostat or the module board. I only have one zone for this thermostat so it is Zone 1. The repair guy said he would get two white thermostats, one for AC and one for Heat which doesn't excite me. In looking at Amazon, I find they have what looks like the same thing. Has anyone had a similar problem and plugged the phone jack into a new thermostat and it worked? Also, does anyone know if there is a way to clear the error code? A friend said that if you could do that it might work. Thanks for any suggestions.