Texas State Parks on Border

machete31

How safe are the Texas state parks that are located on the border? A few of these have peaked my interest and looking to get any first hand info on them.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Machete31, what state or country are you talking about? Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico or Mexico?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We've stayed at Falcon Lake State Park and felt comfortable there.
IMO the bad guys have a job to do and can't be bothered by tourists. Again, personal opinion.
The other side of the river, different story.

Peace
Dave

jayc

We're in Mission, near the border and have gone over the border at Nuevo Progresso and have had no problems. Not too many people going over the day we went but all the Canadians are staying home. No help on the state park question. Here's a link to Tx. Parks and Wildlife parks.
Good luck!

wdk450

I know this is a little off the topic, but I stay frequently at Thousand Trails Pio Pico in Jamul, Ca. (I'm there now). Jamul is in the San Diego area about 10 miles East of Chula Vista in rugged hill country. All of the land to the South is part of a large "nature preserve" that goes about 6 miles to the South to the Mexican border fence. There are no paved roads South of the park to the fence, although there are some "truck trail" dirt roads and foot paths through it. You can count on 3-4 flyovers every day by Customs and Border Protection helicopters (I don't know how many planes), and seeing 3-5 CBP vehicles on the 7 mile drive to the Chula Vista Eastern district (some of these vehicles with flat panel radar pointed to the mountainous hills to the South). I have been awoken in the middle of the night seeing CBE vehicles going up the primitive truck trail that starts right at the RV park IN THE RAIN. There is a major CBP highway checkpoint on the Campo highway just a few miles East, where there have been shooting incidents over the years. I have regularly seen in shape CBP agents parking their vehicles and putting on military sized backpacks to hike into this large, hilly, area on foot from the roadway.

The good news is that with all of this evident smuggling and enforcement activity, I have never heard of any evidence of any associated problems in the RV park.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What Jay said. We’re in Brownsville. Went across the border to Mexico at Progreso
You’re as safe here as anywhere else if not safer IMO!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

How safe are the Texas state parks that are located on the border? A few of these have peaked my interest and looking to get any first hand info on them.

Sorry. I wouldn’t bother going there now. The immigrants coming in probably won’t bother you but stories are out there about tourist like us just disappearing. Be aware.

jayc

An American couple apparently stumbled into a drug deal in the middle of Falcon lake and the man was murdered by a cartel member in 2010. At this same time, a friend had offered me a park-host gig at the Falcon Lake state park but I had already gotten a job at another park. Glad I turned it down.