4007 Generator Exhaust

We occasionally camp at races or music festivals that require/prefer for generator exhaust to be routed up. In our previous motorhome we used a genturi which was great and I was ready to use again on our new cyclone but I realized that the exhaust is right under the master slide. Has anyone found a solution to routing the exhaust? Has anyone has issues with the exhaust being under the bed without a routing solution?

Flick

We occasionally camp at races or music festivals that require/prefer for generator exhaust to be routed up. In our previous motorhome we used a genturi which was great and I was ready to use again on our new cyclone but I realized that the exhaust is right under the master slide. Has anyone found a solution to routing the exhaust? Has anyone has issues with the exhaust being under the bed without a routing solution?

I think there has been some discussion on this in the past, but I can’t remember the comments.
However, I believe most would say that the factory exhaust under the slide is not a problem. Just be sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.

hoefler

When I installed our generator, I had a pipe bent and ran the exhaust all the way to the rear of our trailer where it comes out under the ladder. When in use, I install the GenTuri.

porthole

Retired

I added a 1.25" extension to put the exhaust in between the two slides. I don't know why manufactures insist on dumping the exhaust under the bedroom slide.
Note with the Genturi, I had to use the 24" extra extension to clear the Cyclone roof.

When I installed our generator, I had a pipe bent and ran the exhaust all the way to the rear of our trailer where it comes out under the ladder. When in use, I install the GenTuri.

I discussed this with Onan engineers. They said it would be no problem but to use 2" pipe to keep the appropriate back pressure.

centerline

I added a 1.25" extension to put the exhaust in between the two slides. I don't know why manufactures insist on dumping the exhaust under the bedroom slide.
Note with the Genturi, I had to use the 24" extra extension to clear the Cyclone roof.

I discussed this with Onan engineers. They said it would be no problem but to use 2" pipe to keep the appropriate back pressure.

if the pipe that is used as an extension is larger than the OEM exhaust pipe, AND its not fully sealed at the joint, but lapped over the end of the OEM pipe about 6-8 inches and left unsealed, there is no need to worry about back pressure, as it will have a venturi effect as the exhaust exits the oem pipe... if it IS fully sealed (welded or band clamped, then one needs to take the back pressure into consideration....

as for routing, the exhaust pipe out of the generator can be unbolted from the muffler from below, and turned 90degress and bolted back in place. so the pipe points in a direction that can be adapted on to more conveniently..

I can see the desire to keep the CO to a minimum, and the smell if the genset burns rich, but on the last two onan generators ive owned, both 5500 marquis gold, the noise leaving the exhaust pipe was very minimal and could not even be heard over the sound that was exiting the bottom of the generator with the cooling air...

esscobra

i installed my onan myself- i used the 7k fuel injected unit- and had local exhaust shop bend tubing for mine to go past slide to point where genturi can go up and still access cargo door etc,

over 600 hrs and no issuesex4.jpgex3.jpgex2.jpgex1.jpg14.jpgex4.jpgex3.jpgex2.jpgex1.jpg14.jpg

NYSUPstater

i installed my onan myself- i used the 7k fuel injected unit- and had local exhaust shop bend tubing for mine to go past slide to point where genturi can go up and still access cargo door etc,

over 600 hrs and no issuesView attachment 65083View attachment 65085View attachment 65086View attachment 65087View attachment 65084View attachment 65083View attachment 65085View attachment 65086View attachment 65087View attachment 65084

Looks like it has duals based off the 1 pic. Not that it is, but that would be cool!

carl.swoyer

over 600 hrs and no issuesView attachment 65083View attachment 65085View attachment 65086View attachment 65087View attachment 65084View attachment 65083View attachment 65085View attachment 65086View attachment 65087View attachment 65084
That's exactly how I had mine made on my Landmark.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

centerline

over 600 hrs and no issue

is the genturi system designed to be permanently mounted, or does it get removed and stowed when traveling?

carl.swoyer

is the genturi system designed to be permanently mounted, or does it get removed and stowed when traveling?
I wouldn't leave it on while traveling. Its very quick to set up and remove. Not a permanent design

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
if the pipe that is used as an extension is larger than the OEM exhaust pipe, AND its not fully sealed at the joint, but lapped over the end of the OEM pipe about 6-8 inches and left unsealed, there is no need to worry about back pressure, as it will have a venturi effect as the exhaust exits the oem pipe... if it IS fully sealed (welded or band clamped, then one needs to take the back pressure into consideration....

as for routing, the exhaust pipe out of the generator can be unbolted from the muffler from below, and turned 90degress and bolted back in place. so the pipe points in a direction that can be adapted on to more conveniently..

I can see the desire to keep the CO to a minimum, and the smell if the genset burns rich, but on the last two onan generators ive owned, both 5500 marquis gold, the noise leaving the exhaust pipe was very minimal and could not even be heard over the sound that was exiting the bottom of the generator with the cooling air...

Not sure how your response to the post of mine you quoted relates.

It is a multi slip joint pipe kit that hangs on the side with rubber straps. It is not meant to be left on while traveling.

- - - Updated - - -

Those using a Genturi.

I found using the Genturi actually increased perceived exhaust noise, especially if using the 'holes' and the clevis to keep it attached.
It helped a bit to not use the clevis holes with the adapter slightly turned, the Genturi never disconnected not using the clevis.

I am no longer using the adapter attached to the RV. An electrical EMT connector fits perfect. I have it "wrench" tight on the Genturi and usually just hand tight on the RV side when using. Still not as quiet as no Gentrui but no longer has that obvious extra noise.

I think the connector is 1 1/4"
Looks like this (again, not positive on the size)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1...Tube-EMT-Compression-Coupling-02412/202077139

Last edited: