Screws in wall?

Tidyboy

Our bathroom towel rack is held by command strips. They don't work well because the wallpaper separates. Thus I want to put screws in. I know where the studs are, but they are too widely separated. Can only use one. The wall seems far too thin to support a screw. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks.

david-steph2018

Our bathroom towel rack is held by command strips. They don't work well because the wallpaper separates. Thus I want to put screws in. I know where the studs are, but they are too widely separated. Can only use one. The wall seems far too thin to support a screw. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks.

Maybe try a plastic wall anchor with the screw. Wife found a towel rack that hangs from the top cabinets and hangs our hand towel on it. For the bath towels we use the hooks over the top of the door style.

wdk450

I have used these large diameter (better bite) steel wallboard screws in the thin luan wood walls, including the heavily used steps handrail (buy the shortest ones you can find):
drywall inserts.jpg

Dahillbilly

toggle srews/bolts work well in a thin wall, only drawback is it's a one time use, then you have to buy another one. That's where the drywall screws have an advantage.

Bogie

Had that problem with a command hook in the hall used for coats. It pulled the paper from the wall over time. I solved the problem by drilling a hole in the command strip bracket that holds the hook. Then used both the command strip and the single small screw at the top of the bracket. The combination of the two seems to do the trick. So far.....so good. BTW...just left the bubble it formed when it pulled away alone. It relaxed by itself over time.

rhodies1

Take a piece of good quality wood, oak ,ash etc, sand it smooth, varathane board ,cut it to the width you prefer...screw it to the studs on the wall and then mount your towel rod to the board.

centerline

Take a piece of good quality wood, oak ,ash etc, sand it smooth, varathane board ,cut it to the width you prefer...screw it to the studs on the wall and then mount your towel rod to the board.

I agree..... make a decorative mounting board. very commonly seen on all type of hooks and hangers, which in addition to aesthetics, they can create a strong and secure transitional mounting...