Winter Travel

Headed out to a warmer climate and my first 2 stops the temperature will be near freezing. Currently my travel trailer is winterized. Any suggestions. My underbelly is enclosed. My thought is to use fresh water tank instead of city water hookup.

jbeletti

If temps will be "near" freezing, you'll be fine using your on-board water systems and a hose to the park hydrant.

Whenever it's projected to dip below 32F overnight, make sure you have some fresh water in your tank, disconnect, drain, roll up and bring your water hose indoors to keep it warm for the morning. When it's above 32F again, go ahead and reconnect it.

Be real careful with your sewer hose as well - they can get a bit brittle in freezing weather and if they get frozen while they have waste water in them and you need to get back on the road - big problem for you. I suggest you dump your holding tanks before the freeze hits, and pack your hoses away.

That all said, when I'm parked somewhere longer term in freezing conditions, I disconnect the fresh water hose from the park hydrant, drain the water from it, leave it connected to the RV and leave it on the ground for quick reconnection to the hydrant when the sun is out and we're above freezing. I do something similar for the sewer hose when parked longer term in freezing conditions. I make sure tanks are closed and hose is completely empty. Leave it hooked up to the RV and the park sewer inlet. I wait until the sun is out and we're above freezing before dumping again.

The advice you've already received about using bottled water is also great advice. We carry a few gallons of filtered drinking water for drinking and cooking and also a few gallons of regular park water flushing the toilet and washing hands. You just never know when you may need both - in any weather.

Wishing you all the best.

david-steph2018

Headed out to a warmer climate and my first 2 stops the temperature will be near freezing. Currently my travel trailer is winterized. Any suggestions. My underbelly is enclosed. My thought is to use fresh water tank instead of city water hookup.

We froze up in Chattanooga in 2019 because of the low point drains froze, we full time. I had to go and buy a heated hose and have used it several times since, even this winter outside of San Antonio in November.
In Benson Arizona, this past December, the first half, we were in temps in the mid/low 20's at night.
Good luck and be safe.

If temps will be "near" freezing, you'll be fine using your on-board water systems and a hose to the park hydrant.

Whenever it's projected to dip below 32F overnight, make sure you have some fresh water in your tank, disconnect, drain, roll up and bring your water hose indoors to keep it warm for the morning. When it's above 32F again, go ahead and reconnect it.

Be real careful with your sewer hose as well - they can get a bit brittle in freezing weather and if they get frozen while they have waste water in them and you need to get back on the road - big problem for you. I suggest you dump your holding tanks before the freeze hits, and pack your hoses away.

That all said, when I'm parked somewhere longer term in freezing conditions, I disconnect the fresh water hose from the park hydrant, drain the water from it, leave it connected to the RV and leave it on the ground for quick reconnection to the hydrant when the sun is out and we're above freezing. I do something similar for the sewer hose when parked longer term in freezing conditions. I make sure tanks are closed and hose is completely empty. Leave it hooked up to the RV and the park sewer inlet. I wait until the sun is out and we're above freezing before dumping again.

The advice you've already received about using bottled water is also great advice. We carry a few gallons of filtered drinking water for drinking and cooking and also a few gallons of regular park water flushing the toilet and washing hands. You just never know when you may need both - in any weather.

Thanks, that is the info I needed.

jbeletti

Thanks, that is the info I needed.

Glad we could all help. Keep on asking questions in any area of the forum and you're bound to served well.

Check out our Events list and maybe take in a rally or two this year. It's always nice to meet owners in person.

Ziggy49

We froze up in Chattanooga in 2019 because of the low point drains froze, we full time. I had to go and buy a heated hose and have used it several times since, even this winter outside of San Antonio in November.
In Benson Arizona, this past December, the first half, we were in temps in the mid/low 20's at night.
Good luck and be safe.

Hello,
New to below-freezing stuff! Just wondering what 'because of the low point drains froze' means? Probably should be obvious, but like I say, .. I'm a newbie!
Thanks!

david-steph2018

Hello,
New to below-freezing stuff! Just wondering what 'because of the low point drains froze' means? Probably should be obvious, but like I say, .. I'm a newbie!
Thanks!
No, the forecast was not to be that cold, for that night. It was predicted to only be in the mid 20's and it hit in the mid teens. I had wrapped the drains previously but apparently not for that low of temps.

danemayer

Hello,
Thanks!

For trailers that have low-point drains, the PEX tubing for the drain extends through the coroplast underbelly liner. The drain valve is a few inches below the coroplast. Water between the coroplast and the valve will freeze in sub-freezing temps. The ice can wick up into the tee, blocking water flow in the main water lines to the kitchen. Trailers with a rear bath will also have the rear bath affected.

The same thing can happen with the fresh tank drain, where if ice forms in the tee, the pump will not be able to draw water out of the fresh tank.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For trailers that have low-point drains, the PEX tubing for the drain extends through the coroplast underbelly liner. The drain valve is a few inches below the coroplast. Water between the coroplast and the valve will freeze in sub-freezing temps. The ice can wick up into the tee, blocking water flow in the main water lines to the kitchen. Trailers with a rear bath will also have the rear bath affected.

The same thing can happen with the fresh tank drain, where if ice forms in the tee, the pump will not be able to draw water out of the fresh tank.

One thing to add, wrapping the low-point drain with foam and leaving it extended below the rig doesn’t seem to really help. I’ve still had them freeze. However, we tried wrapping and then cutting the coroplast with a U shape to create a flap, then pushing them up inside the belly, and tape up the U cut. This has worked well for us — no more frozen drains! Just cut the tape to open the flap and drop the drains again when you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

One thing to add, wrapping the low-point drain with foam and leaving it extended below the rig doesn’t seem to really help. I’ve still had them freeze. However, we tried wrapping and then cutting the coroplast with a U shape to create a flap, then pushing them up inside the belly, and tape up the U cut. This has worked well for us — no more frozen drains! Just cut the tape to open the flap and drop the drains again when you need them.

I like this. Keep the low-point drains but tuck them up into the underbelly until needed.

Nhnoels

Good tips. Thank You for detailing this out.