SOLVED: Froze up: Where are the low point drains on a 3870

ENG2242

It’s 0° outside and I’m froze up. My Spicket and water hose supply are both heated and functioning. I am heating the water control compartment, as well as running the furnace. I’ve read that the low point drains can also be the culprit. However, embarrassing to say, after owning many rigs, I cannot find a low point drains. Any direction would be appreciated.
Thank you, David

danemayer

Re: Froze up: Where are the low point drains on a 3870

A 2018 Bighorn won't have low point drains. Just a fresh tank drain.

Disconnect the hose from the UDC and make sure water is actually getting through the hose.

Are you getting water to the bathroom? When things freeze inside, the kitchen is first. Bathroom lines don't usually freeze at 0 (F).

ENG2242

A 2018 Bighorn won't have low point drains. Just a fresh tank drain.

Disconnect the hose from the UDC and make sure water is actually getting through the hose.

Are you getting water to the bathroom? When things freeze inside, the kitchen is first. Bathroom lines don't usually freeze at 0 (F).

I’m certain my H2O supply is fine. I’ll double check. No water to any faucet.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Is the UDC sealed against the elements or is the access “hole” unsealed? I use a garden kneeling pad cut to fit the bottom of the UDC and leave the lamp there on for some heat
No water to ANY faucet IMO indicates no water supply from the UDC back to the source. Although we’ve never been in 0 temps have been in the teens without issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENG2242

Solution!!!
Yes the UDC opening is sealed. I had to pull the panel inside the crossway storage, or garage, and pull the panel to gain access to the plumbing. I used a hair dryer to thaw the manifold and put heat tape around the pipes and manifold. That gave me water to the bathrooms. Then I used the hairdryer and blew it in the supply opening inside the cabinet to the kitchen island and we have water!! Thanks everyone, David
Is the UDC sealed against the elements or is the access “hole” unsealed? I use a garden kneeling pad cut to fit the bottom of the UDC and leave the lamp there on for some heat
No water to ANY faucet IMO indicates no water supply from the UDC back to the source. Although we’ve never been in 0 temps have been in the teens without issue

ENG2242

My Solution To Frozen Plumbing After Trying Everything On My 3870FB

The UDS opening/access is sealed with proper insulation. The H20 connection in the UDS is heated in insulated with pipe insulation. The Camco heated hose is flowing. There are no “low point drains “. I made sure the furnace ran in order to keep the underbelly heated. I used a hairdryer directly on the external connection in the UDC. Nothing!!! My solution, and I froze my A&$ off figuring this out: I had to pull the panel inside the crossway storage, or garage, and pull the panel to gain access to the plumbing. I used a hair dryer to thaw the manifold and put heat tape around the pipes and manifold. That gave me water to the bathrooms. Then I used the hairdryer and blew it in the supply opening inside the cabinet to the kitchen island and we have water!! Thanks everyone, David

travelin2

Solution!!!
Yes the UDC opening is sealed. I had to pull the panel inside the crossway storage, or garage, and pull the panel to gain access to the plumbing. I used a hair dryer to thaw the manifold and put heat tape around the pipes and manifold. That gave me water to the bathrooms. Then I used the hairdryer and blew it in the supply opening inside the cabinet to the kitchen island and we have water!! Thanks everyone, David

Good!

I have a 125w heat lamp behind the basement wall reflecting heat onto the backside of the UDC, water pump, etc. That may be helpful for you too to minimize freezing

danemayer

A drop light with 60W incandescent bulb hanging in the UDC will help keep the 4 way Anderson Valve from freezing. The heat lamp over the plumbing area will counter any cold air leaks. You probably have some.

ENG2242

Good!

I have a 125w heat lamp behind the basement wall reflecting heat onto the backside of the UDC, water pump, etc. That may be helpful for you too to minimize freezing

Yes sir, thank you. Currently, I’m utilizing heat tape and have the Anderson wrapped. It got below zero here and has/ will remain cold, so it’s no surprise. I will utilize a light to heat the manifold and pipes on the inside connections. I’m assuming you plugged into the outlet in the garage!?

- - - Updated - - -

A drop light with 60W incandescent bulb hanging in the UDC will help keep the 4 way Anderson Valve from freezing. The heat lamp over the plumbing area will counter any cold air leaks. You probably have some.
Thank you.

travelin2

Yes sir, thank you. Currently, I’m utilizing heat tape and have the Anderson wrapped. It got below zero here and has/ will remain cold, so it’s no surprise. I will utilize a light to heat the manifold and pipes on the inside connections. I’m assuming you plugged into the outlet in the garage!?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

Yep. Snaked the power cord out to the receptacle in the basement. I used zip ties to anchor the light so it stays put and positioned during travel

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
1:30am Temp has dropped to 4 degrees here and we are in the same boat. No water at faucets and pump has stopped running as well. Have a drop light on behind the basement wall and heat cable on the kitchen lines but I guess it can’t compete. CheapHeat feels barely warm coming out the vents, so I’m guessing it’s not keeping things warm enough underneath either. Dangerous wind chill in the negative double digits, so not sure we can do anything for a while. :(

ENG2242

1:30am Temp has dropped to 4 degrees here and we are in the same boat. No water at faucets and pump has stopped running as well. Have a drop light on behind the basement wall and heat cable on the kitchen lines but I guess it can’t compete. CheapHeat feels barely warm coming out the vents, so I’m guessing it’s not keeping things warm enough underneath either. Dangerous wind chill in the negative double digits, so not sure we can do anything for a while.

It’s 0 degrees with about four inches of snow and more coming. It was 4 degrees yesterday when I started on my rig. It’s brutal!! After working on mine as mentioned, and keeping a trickle flowing out of the kitchen faucet, I have water. I’m on city water, not utilizing my pump. I wish I had a suggestion that would help, please be safe. David

TravelTiger

1:30am Temp has dropped to 4 degrees here and we are in the same boat. No water at faucets and pump has stopped running as well. Have a drop light on behind the basement wall and heat cable on the kitchen lines but I guess it can’t compete. CheapHeat feels barely warm coming out the vents, so I’m guessing it’s not keeping things warm enough underneath either. Dangerous wind chill in the negative double digits, so not sure we can do anything for a while.

It’s 0 degrees with about four inches of snow and more coming. It was 4 degrees yesterday when I started on my rig. It’s brutal!! After working on mine as mentioned, and keeping a trickle flowing out of the kitchen faucet, I have water. I’m on city water, not utilizing my pump. I wish I had a suggestion that would help, please be safe. David

Well power went out at 2:30am, still without power at 6:20am Our furnace uses CheapHeat (electric) and we are not set up to run on gas — It was making a strange smell before changing to CheapHeat — so I guess we are sunk for now. Temps not climbing out of the teens today.
Sitting in car hoping they get the electricity back on soon, then we will head to hotel until it warms up later in the week.

ENG2242

Well power went out at 2:30am, still without power at 6:20am Our furnace uses CheapHeat (electric) and we are not set up to run on gas — It was making a strange smell before changing to CheapHeat — so I guess we are sunk for now. Temps not climbing out of the teens today.
Sitting in car hoping they get the electricity back on soon, then we will head to hotel until it warms up later in the week.

I wasn’t familiar with CheapHeat, so I looked it up. In this cold I’m running two HeatDish’s from Costco and my furnace to stay comfortable. I also had a nearby propane company deliver and hook up a large propane tank. I’m being careful to maintain the heat source balance so the furnace runs regularly. The heck with your rig at this point, get some place warm and be safe.

travelin2

Stay safe! That sounds like a plan until this passes.
We have a glaze of ice, strong gusty winds, mid 20s down here in Brownsville
You Texans always say “ things are bigger here!”

david-steph2018

Guys hate to be the bearer of bad news but on the TODAY show just now the mayor of Houston said "possible rolling blackouts thru out all of Texas." Abbott declared a state of emergency for all of Texas due to the cold/weather, he was also on the Today show.
You guys be careful and head somewhere warm.
Good luck

TravelTiger

Yes I have friends and relatives in DFW already experiencing the rolling blackouts, but luckily have not been more than 30-45 min each

travelin2

We’re on a blackout currently in Brownsville

jbeletti

Here in Weatherford, we're on a 40 minutes on / 40 minutes off schedule. Have been since 2 am Monday. Some of the on cycles vary. Just had an hour and 5 minutes on. That was nice. Being in a new house, it holds heat better than an RV, so it's pretty tolerable during the 40 minute off cycles.

Erika - sorry to hear you had it a bit rougher. While you have Cheap Heat, I assume you could have still ran your furnace on propane if desired - albeit with the stock tanks sizes??

Hope guys and the cats are staying warm in a hotel or somewhere.