Shower Leaking

OldSarge

Our Bighorn is still under warranty. I took it in to the local Camping World for warranty work on the shower leaking and they cannot find the leak. It is obvious to me when I looked inside the screw off cover inside the shower that the leak was coming from the pex running to the shower faucet and down the 2X4 inside the stall. Camping World still can't "replicate" the leak. (Their comment not mine).

It appears I will have to fix myself. Can anyone give me an idea on how to remove the shower stall and replace the pex? I need a simple fix as I am not too handy.

Thanks and regards,

The Old Sarge

Dahillbilly

I'd call Heartland with your last six digits of your vin & see if CW filed a claim. Then ask for another repair facility or a mobile tech. Heartland may give you some info on making the repairs yourself.

danemayer

If you have the screw-off access port, doesn't that provide access to the PEX lines that connect to the shower fixture? I don't understand why the shower would have to be removed to make a repair to the PEX.

The PEX probably uses a 90 degree swivel fitting that screws onto the shower fixture. That's the likely leak.

I'd think you could get a piece of 1/2" PEX, a Press-on 1/2" to FNPT , and a Sharkbite press-on elbow coupling. Cut the existing PEX so you can remove the leaky fitting. Join the Press-on 1/2" to FNPT to the elbow coupling with a very short piece of PEX. Screw those onto the shower fixture taking care not to cross-thread. Then press the PEX that you cut into the elbow. If cutting leaves you short, cut the vertical PEX and add a straight coupler.

You could save a few $ by using crimp fittings, but working in a tight space is tricky with a PEX crimping tool.

If the leak is from damaged threading on the shower fixture, get a new one.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is the leak from the pipe, the fitting or where the pipe is slipped over the fitting? If it’s a standard PEX crimp clamp, it might not be tightened properly or in the correct position. Photos if you can access the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby A

Often times when I've had a leak its usually the white cone shaped washer inside that has come compressed, remove and replace, easy fix.

Roller4tan

Could it be the plastic vacuum breaker for the black tank flush? Mine is located in that area. Perhaps the dealer didn't run water thru that pipe.