Our bighorn 3270RS has a bad acne problem.

bthornto

Went out today to check on the trailer, it's winter here but the rig is winterized and we keep a dehumidifier and the heat at 45F. Much to my surprise I noticed many small pimples from under the factory paint. (We got the full paint).

Anyone seen anything like this before? Will be calling the factory tomorrow as the problem exists in more than a few places and has me really concerned.
78b26439d44b7220db5a2731fcd09a8f.jpg
57163e5a7f1f7f5203813a0500f5bebc.jpg
43027dc7c926c3cf16eb9aacac43c050.jpg
be9126e16e415a15fe4ad26f9d6c20c2.jpg
5778a3a062f131756bb7bb8a4e62ea66.jpg
9eae68594c9ffa0a7f903d9536836a51.jpg
9e3e2814a6d0edf3ed1655571405131a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I've never seen this on an RV painted exterior before. It almost has to be moisture bubbles - but how?

Send these images to Heartland at service@heartlandrvs.com. Include your VIN and your contact info. If it turned out to be poor surface prep prior to painting, "maybe" the paint show would participate in a correction. This is not for me to say on Heartland's behalf but it would be a preferred outcome.

I also think you're going to have to choose one and pop it to see if it's air or water inside as it could be instructive for Heartland and the paint company to know.

bthornto

Thanks Jim, will do that tomorrow. I'll wait to "pop" one until asked. Based on experience and what I've heard, I'm sure heartland will help figure this out and make it right.

jbeletti

Thanks Jim, will do that tomorrow. I'll wait to "pop" one until asked. Based on experience and what I've heard, I'm sure heartland will help figure this out and make it right.

Give them a couple of days to respond to your email. Then follow up with a phone call if you haven't heard back (877-262-8032).

bthornto

I received the following from heartland. It appears Heartland RV's can only be used indoors because it will bring attention to faulty factory paint jobs.

I am astonished by this response will be calling tomorrow to escalate.

buyer beware, your expensive factory paint job paint may fail before you even need new tires.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

bthornto

General question about all Heartland RVs factory paint

I have a general question generally about Heartland RVs ....

We are experiencing issues with our factory paint,

Do you all see this as a general problem with factory paint and heartland RVs?

Would love to hear your experience & thoughts.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Brad,

In 10 years of reading just about every post, I don't recall seeing a problem like you're having. I'm not a paint expert, so I can't venture an opinion as to cause. But I agree with your decision to pursue this further.

Heartland instituted a 3 year structural warranty somewhere in the time frame of 2018 models - depending on the build date, your Bighorn might or might not be covered by that. The trailer manual that came with your rig has a warranty statement that may speak to that. Sidewalls would be covered, although I believe the language is silent on paint. Of course there are some exclusions, but if you're within the 3 years, and it applies to your rig, you may get some help there.

Even if the structural warranty doesn't help you, Heartland often makes goodwill accommodations after warranty expiration. So it's possible as you follow up, you might get some help that way.

bthornto

My third attempt to summarize the email from heartland, and not violate forum rules. Below is a heavily redacted version of the email I received, which does not contain personal information or direct quotes from that email.

My interpretation of this email is that Heartland is dismissing the issue and doing nothing more than providing an offer to find someone locally that can fix the issue at my cost.

--------------------------
<greeting>,

<states photos reviewed>. <issue attributed to "outside factor">, <conditional> <"weather" or "environmental" suggested>.

<statement regarding this type of defect>, <suggests they would already know>.

<statement reminding our warranty ended on 6/22/18>

<statement regarding Heartland's position> <statement declining participation in any warranty claim, interest, accountability or involvement in issue>.

<statement offering assistance>, <suggests they can google someone that can fix the problem>

<closing>,

<generic email alias without a name @ heartlandrvs.com>

PH - <general customer service number>
Fax – <seriosuly does anyone do this still?>

Flick

Several points to make. I also believe you should take it to the next level at Heartland and possibly another level if no satisfaction is found on your behalf.
I think if the warranty period is over, they have every right to deny the claim. However, as a good will gesture, they may eventually come thru but you have to be persistent and at the very least, they need to help you figure out what caused this. Their statement may be very valuable when and if you decide to turn this over to your insurance for a damage claim.
Could it have been some sort of chemicals that came into contact with your rv? Is this limited to that one wall or are there signs of it elsewhere like on the other side , etc?
Having done a fair amount of auto and vehicle painting in the past, here is what I believe. After the coach was prepped, primed and sanded ready for paint, someone unknowingly allowed a large splatter or either oil, chemicals or water to get on the wall. It was then painted and all appeared ok. Now 3+ years later bubbles are forming.
Did you purchase an extended warranty? They may be of some help. However, they may frown on paint jobs like they do for many other potential claims. Good luck. Don’t give up on it. The good news is that you can use the coach while you fight.

bthornto

Yeah that's what I told my wife, thankfully we can't see the issue from inside the coach :)

It's all over, doors, main panels, slides, both sides alike. We just use car soap to wash it once in a while.

I looked more closely last night, there is no evidence of anything on the surface of the paint in the areas where the issue is, it appears as if there is something behind the paint, air, gas, moisture that is pushing the paint outward.

Will be digging into warranty docs today and making some calls.

The irony of this situation was we had it painted to prolong the life and appearance of the unit, not see it degrade sooner. :(

-b

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In some respects, that looks like silicone contamination of the surface prior to painting. HL's paint line may need to check that nobody has a work desk near the line that they like to keep pretty with Johnson's Furniture Spray Wax. An old failure analysis project from my bygone days in the auto industry. If you know a working chemist, they might be able to sample what's inside those blisters and analyze it.

sengli

Our landmark is a 2015, and it has set outside its entire life. We bought it from a dealer in northern Wisconsin, so its been exposed to some very brutal winter conditions, for the first couple of years. Our paint job still looks like new. Obviously heartland doesnt actually do the paint, they farm it out.

bthornto

thanks, I didn't really think it was because we keep it outside, but I am glad to hear that for sure. Our winters in Seattle compare nothing to those in the midwest.

The more and closer I look, the more widespread I find the issue to be, some bubbles are really really really small and difficult to see, but a magnifying glass indicates this is a widespread problem.

I'm afraid to see what progression looks like and how large these things get....

ugh, wish I knew a chemist.

Bogie

Don't know much about this issue myself, but for curiosity sake I Goolged "bubbles under paint on fiberglass". A lot of info from Corvette people due to their fiberglass bodies. But also some from RV sites and boating sites. Quite an eye opener as to possible causes including fiberglass resin that is not fully cured. Take a look.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
This issue for the OP is definitely disappointing. I hope Heartland will eventually help them out as I believe this is a manufacturing/painting defect. If I remember correctly, Heartland sends their units offsite to be painted by another vendor. For me, when it comes time to upgrade, I was very interested in full body paint but will see how this particular issues pans out.

Good luck,
Mark

bthornto

Just off the phone with Heartland customer service, they are looking into which paint shop painted the unit and are going to reach out to them.

Nothing concrete yet.

My wife and I looked online at the latest models, I will say we love this 3270RS.

We went all in when we got it, dual heat pumps, slide toppers, extra awning, etc, I don't recall any options we declined. I'm afraid we probably aren't in a position to have this fixed ourselves, much less buy a new one.

I do hope this works out, I've cancelled our travel plans & reservations for the year because we don't want to be at fault by aggravating the issue or making it worse by going on the road.

sigh.

carl.swoyer

I asked a retired auto body painter that has done work for me. He owned his owner shop for 35 years.
84adff36cfc401940795a6a1cb1da5a3.jpg
69b457040c56a87f32f8b65e321823a8.jpg
1e5f8bc0705d4d13286dbd1495381350.jpg
be36fd0cfac8746d835aa40a728581c9.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk