Thread: Need tips for Reseal MPG 183 exterior

1. Print this Post   #1

Need tips for Reseal MPG 183 exterior

Hello all,

I need to reseal the exterior of my 2011 MPG 183. Two years ago I had the caulking fail around one of the three rear red marker lights (upper rear). Last year I had the front window leak. Iíve since repaired both, but now itís time to reseal the entire exterior. I made the mistake of using a silicone for part of the sides ( it looks horrible and itís hardened to a sticky mess that isnít easy to remove).

Please let me know what sealant or caulk works best ? Any tips or links to videos on caulking RVs and removing hardened silicon would be much appreciated! Thanks !!

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Need tips for Reseal MPG 183 exterior

I would do a little research on You tube, lots of info there. Others will chime on here also
    Robert (aka Dahillbilly) & Mary Morris

HOC #7012
    2018 Torque 327

2015 Silverado 3500HD SRW Duramax Allison
    Crew Cab 4x4 Short Box
    B & W Companion Slider 5th Wheel Hitch
    TST-507-FT
    Furrion Rear View Camera
    Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C

"RUBY" 2012 FLHTK Harley Davidson

2021 H.C.R. Lake Delton, WI. Reserved
    2020 H.C.R. Lake Delton, WI.
    ​CANCELLED
    2020 Wisconsin Camp-out Lake Delton, WI.

3. Print this Post   #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mpgrver View Post
    Hello all,

I need to reseal the exterior of my 2011 MPG 183. Two years ago I had the caulking fail around one of the three rear red marker lights (upper rear). Last year I had the front window leak. I’ve since repaired both, but now it’s time to reseal the entire exterior. I made the mistake of using a silicone for part of the sides ( it looks horrible and it’s hardened to a sticky mess that isn’t easy to remove).

Please let me know what sealant or caulk works best ? Any tips or links to videos on caulking RVs and removing hardened silicon would be much appreciated! Thanks !!
    im not sure how big of gap you are trying to seal, but for recaulking a normal joint, here is how I do it, and would suggest you try, to see if it works better for you....

silicone can work, but if you want it to last you need to prep the surfaces more than if using some other caulkings... personally, I think proper surface prep is about 85% of a successful job...... Its my practice to always clean the surface well with soap and water, then after it dries, I wipe it with alcohol, then i use a very narrow piece of scotch brite pad and scrub the line where the caulking is going to be.....

then i mask it off with tape, staying about 1/16" of an inch away from the edge of the gap, on BOTH sides of the gap.... then i wipe it with alcohol again and let it dry good...

then I apply a small bead of sealant down the gap, and then push it into the crack, (without pushing so hard that it wipes it OUT of the crack) with my finger as I fair it out...... then pull the tape immediately after fairing it out before it has a chance to skin over... if it skins over, the skin seems to always stick to the tape, and as the tape is lifted, it will pull the skin off the uncured sealant, which you dont want to happen. but if you get the tape off before the caulking skins over, the tape comes off leaving a clean, straight edge on the caulking..... then with a wet finger, I very lightly fair down the tape edge of the sealant.... it makes a professional looking job and will adhere to the surface forever...

as to the brand/type of caulking, I will leave that for someone else to say, as when I need to reseal something I use marine sealant, which may be better for some things, but is too adhesive for other things that may need to be taken apart without damage...
    one has to know the properties of the sealant they plan to use, otherwise it could be a problem as some point...
    Lou and Rochelle
    small dogs, Chico and Charlotte
    2014 Ram 3500 LB-CC 6.7 Cummins
    2011 Heartland BigHorn 3055RL
    2004 Polaris 700 Sportsman
    2005 Polaris 500 Sportsman
    1989 Bayliner 2556

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by centerline View Post
    im not sure how big of gap you are trying to seal, but for recaulking a normal joint, here is how I do it, and would suggest you try, to see if it works better for you....

silicone can work, but if you want it to last you need to prep the surfaces more than if using some other caulkings... personally, I think proper surface prep is about 85% of a successful job...... Its my practice to always clean the surface well with soap and water, then after it dries, I wipe it with alcohol, then i use a very narrow piece of scotch brite pad and scrub the line where the caulking is going to be.....

then i mask it off with tape, staying about 1/16" of an inch away from the edge of the gap, on BOTH sides of the gap.... then i wipe it with alcohol again and let it dry good...

then I apply a small bead of sealant down the gap, and then push it into the crack, (without pushing so hard that it wipes it OUT of the crack) with my finger as I fair it out...... then pull the tape immediately after fairing it out before it has a chance to skin over... if it skins over, the skin seems to always stick to the tape, and as the tape is lifted, it will pull the skin off the uncured sealant, which you dont want to happen. but if you get the tape off before the caulking skins over, the tape comes off leaving a clean, straight edge on the caulking..... then with a wet finger, I very lightly fair down the tape edge of the sealant.... it makes a professional looking job and will adhere to the surface forever...

as to the brand/type of caulking, I will leave that for someone else to say, as when I need to reseal something I use marine sealant, which may be better for some things, but is too adhesive for other things that may need to be taken apart without damage...
    one has to know the properties of the sealant they plan to use, otherwise it could be a problem as some point...
    lou. i must admit. that is one of the best write ups on how to caulk something that i have ever read. that is exactly how i would do it minus the alcohol wipe after the tape is applied. the guy will not go wrong using your method. iím sure someone will tell jim what caulk to use because i also agree that marine sealant is to permanent.
    Eddie and Jomaye
    HOC #7088

2015 Heartland Cyclone 4100 HD
    -4 U Cam observation camera
    -Dish Tailgater Pro
    -On The Go Double Standard softener
    -Splendide washer/dryer combo
    -TireMinder bluetooth TPMS
    -RV Smart 50 amp surge protector

2019 Ford F-350 DRW FX4 Lariat
    -Ultimate Lariat package
    -4:10 LS gears
    -2Ē front lift/Bilstein shocks
    -Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags
    -Air Lift Gen 2 Bluetooth wireless compressor
    -20k Reese fifth wheel and rail adapter
    -35Ē TOYO Open Country M/T tires on stock 17Ē rims
    -RDS 60 gal tool box combo w/gauge
    -RV Toll Pass

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    lou. i must admit. that is one of the best write ups on how to caulk something that i have ever read. that is exactly how i would do it minus the alcohol wipe after the tape is applied. the guy will not go wrong using your method. iím sure someone will tell jim what caulk to use because i also agree that marine sealant is to permanent.
    I always give it that extra wipe down with alcohol because i never know when my greasy fingers might touch somewhere critical when masking....
    Lou and Rochelle
    small dogs, Chico and Charlotte
    2014 Ram 3500 LB-CC 6.7 Cummins
    2011 Heartland BigHorn 3055RL
    2004 Polaris 700 Sportsman
    2005 Polaris 500 Sportsman
    1989 Bayliner 2556

6. Print this Post   #6

Besides caulking around the windows, maybe you want to redirect water away from the window cutout/window area with a flexible, self-adhesive, window rain gutter like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Rain-Gutt...-/231899057418

I have something like this on my big rear window mainly to keep the water streak lines down.
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by centerline View Post

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your detailed method. Once the weather warms up at bit and I remove my rv cover Iíll be putting those instructions to good use! Much appreciated!

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by wdk450 View Post
    Besides caulking around the windows, maybe you want to redirect water away from the window cutout/window area with a flexible, self-adhesive, window rain gutter like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Rain-Gutt...-/231899057418

I have something like this on my big rear window mainly to keep the water streak lines down.
    Good idea!! Thanks Iíll look into the gutters. Nice that itís self adhesive as well!