Generator storage area

Jakespoon

Hello All.
I have a 2014 bighorn 3755fl and love it. My question is about the generator storage compartment. I use 2 3500 watt generators with a parallel kit and I am wondering if I need to beef up the floor in the storage area to hold both generators. I prefer this for when I only need to use 1 generator. They weigh about 100 lbs each. Thank you.

danemayer

Hello All.
I have a 2014 bighorn 3755fl and love it. My question is about the generator storage compartment. I use 2 3500 watt generators with a parallel kit and I am wondering if I need to beef up the floor in the storage area to hold both generators. I prefer this for when I only need to use 1 generator. They weigh about 100 lbs each. Thank you.
Hi Jakespoon,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Heartland puts an Onan 5500 in the front compartment. Spec sheet puts it at 279 lbs.

CDN

B and B
Hi Jake,

I removed the Onan frame in my Landmark and store my GMG smoker and accessories in there. It might require some extra support for a pair of generators. One thing I dod do was put a power inlet on the front and feed the transfer switch from this. I store my generator in my truck bed.

Brian

Jakespoon

Thank you for the input. I did purchase a used Onan 5500 to put in there but i decided i liked the portable generators better and that i can only use one if needed. The floor does seem strong enough even though there is no actual frame work. I just want that extra protection from them falling thru( As generators are kind of expensive and damage to undercarriage.) I think even the Onans have a special box/mount for them. Once again thank you.

centerline

there is no need to beef up the floor of the compartment for an onan generator or 2 small honda units, but it would be good to insure it has all the screws in the front edge of the floor pan where it connects to the front compartment wall.... these screws can come loose and vibrate out... mine only had 2 left in it, so when i put my genset in, I installed all new screws and drilled and added 3 extras....

if you are worried about any flexing/stressing of the floor pan, cut a piece of 5/8 or 3/4 plywood to fit the floor, and this will help distribute the loading so it doesnt flex or sag as much... but if permanently installing a generator, DONT use plywood or set it on anything other than the bare floor pan...

Jakespoon

Thank you for the replies, and sorry for the delay in response from me as I have been on graveyards. I will add a piece of plywood and rubber under the generators and add a few more screws for some added strength and security. Thank you.

ILH

On my prior trailer - a 2013 Road Warrior - I did as previously suggested and put a piece of plywood in the generator compartment, and then used it for my Weber BBQ storage. It served me well for 8 years.