Leaking water heater when moving

Pulling out of the campground the other day and noticed water running out. When I looked it was warm water from water heater. It was off but full of water. So every time I move I drain the water heater. Any ideas why? It’s really annoying stopping at campgrounds every night then draining it that morning. Thanks

danemayer

Hi Wilsonjeremy,

If I follow, unless you drain the water heater before towing, you have warm water coming out somewhere when you tow.

What trailer do you have? Year/Model/Floorplan?

Where does the water come out?

How are you draining the water heater?

centerline

if the water is leaking from the pop-off valve on the tank, this can be normal.... depending on how much pressure is in the tank.

hot water setting static in a tank will increase in pressure if agitated by movement...

rather than draining the water heater, after shutting the pump off, try just opening a faucet and relieving the pressure in the system to see if this helps....
draining the tank wastes water and can leave the electric heating element vulnerable to burnout, if its on and the trailer gets plugged in before recharging the tank with water... also heating the tank with propane is not healthy if the water is low in the tank....

TedS

Make sure the water heater t&p valve is closed. Lift the lever and let it snap closed.