The Texas cold

Jajjaaj

I just wasn't prepared here in South Texas. Unfortunately, I have a leak in one of the lines from the freeze we had. Will be taking the bottom off and looking for the leaks. I was told I can cut out the bad section and then add a part that sticks into the line? Not sure I understood that. Can someone tell me what part that would be? Hoping I can find parts in Houston, but not really counting on it. Seems quite few dummies just like me got caught in the storm unprepared. I have a 2009 Bighorn 3670rl.

Dahillbilly

if the leak is from your water lines, that will be PEX tubing. Go to one of the big box stores (Lowe's; Home Depot or a local hardware store). get more 1/2" PEX tubing & sharkbite fittings, Store can tell you how it's done or check out You Tube video's. It's easy good sharp utlity knife is about all you need. Oh the PEX comes in different colors, blue for cold; red for hot water or just use clear up to you. Good luck

Flick

I just wasn't prepared here in South Texas. Unfortunately, I have a leak in one of the lines from the freeze we had. Will be taking the bottom off and looking for the leaks. I was told I can cut out the bad section and then add a part that sticks into the line? Not sure I understood that. Can someone tell me what part that would be? Hoping I can find parts in Houston, but not really counting on it. Seems quite few dummies just like me got caught in the storm unprepared. I have a 2009 Bighorn 3670rl.

Don’t be to hard on yourself. Just about everyone I know has some form of ice related damage. Just do some digging into your problem and like Robert said, you probably will find what you need at a big box store. Enjoy the warm weather this weekend.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Look closely at all of the fittings and elbows. They are mostly plastic and easily cracked by freezing water.

Peace
Dave

Jajjaaj

Look closely at all of the fittings and elbows. They are mostly plastic and easily cracked by freezing water.

Peace
Dave

Don’t be to hard on yourself. Just about everyone I know has some form of ice related damage. Just do some digging into your problem and like Robert said, you probably will find what you need at a big box store. Enjoy the warm weather this weekend.

if the leak is from your water lines, that will be PEX tubing. Go to one of the big box stores (Lowe's; Home Depot or a local hardware store). get more 1/2" PEX tubing & sharkbite fittings, Store can tell you how it's done or check out You Tube video's. It's easy good sharp utlity knife is about all you need. Oh the PEX comes in different colors, blue for cold; red for hot water or just use clear up to you. Good luck

Thanks for the tips. I've never done a repair like this, so really appreciate the help.

danemayer

Sharkbite press-on fittings like this, make life a lot easier. There are other brands that do the same thing. Make a straight 90 degree cut on a piece of 1/2" PEX and press the cut end into the coupling. Sharkbite or comparable fittings are available at most hardware stores and of course, plumbing supply stores. They also come in a number of other configurations, like elbows. With a few of these and a few feet of PEX, you can fix a variety of plumbing problems in your rig.

wdk450

If you have a leak/burst section in a straight piece of PEX tubing, this is the Sharkbite (Brand) fitting you need to fix things.
https://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-St...to+1/2+inch+pex+coupler&qid=1613789313&sr=8-1 They come in a pack of 2.

Simply cut out the bad section of PEX tubing with right angle cuts to the tubing, and jam the tubing ends into the repair fitting hard until it is completely seated.

I recently used these on a kitchen faucet replacement, when the factory installed crimp PEX tubing and fittings was too long and too stiff. I cut out about 2 feet of both the hot and cold PEX lines, then simply connected the remaining pieces back together with the Sharkbite 1/2 inch straight PEX couplers.