Dripping where it shouldn’t

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nothing like walking up to the rig when she’s finally above freezing and seeing water dripping where it shouldn’t.

After 5 days of record breaking below freezing and no electricity or water for most of it, we are finally able to evaluate what damage we might have sustained.

Removed underbelly and found a grey tank pipe that runs almost horizontal has a long crack in it.

Also, the water pump froze and busted, we think water from it then flooded the drop frame underbelly.

c1d84396d301d86e3301ce37c56074ce.jpg

Water pump leaking

9b29f5eab8ebc46b13981f8b41d3ffca.jpg

Water under the black tank, but it’s not black water.

d2814a15bc98173b9226957ae0eedb5a.jpg

Grey tank line cracked (look for horizontal line through the lettering on the pipe.)

d628b5cf05d01f6153aa4a61cab96b14.jpg

Water coming from that cracked grey line

So far nothing too terrible. Replaced the pump already. The black tank contents seem to still be contained and possibly frozen, so we aren’t attempting to dump yet. Don’t have water at the rv park yet, so we haven’t tried to check all the plumbing. Some pipes and fresh tank may still have ice. Also don’t know yet on the water heater. We did not see water under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Hopefully that is the limit of damage. One thing I have noticed recently is that the grey tank lines are allot thinner compared to the black lines. When we had the Morryde IS installed the rear grey lines had to be removed. When I looked that grey line was really thin to the point I could break it on the seam.
Good luck with your repairs and we hope it will be an amount of limited damage for all out there.

TravelTiger

Hopefully that is the limit of damage. One thing I have noticed recently is that the grey tank lines are allot thinner compared to the black lines. When we had the Morryde IS installed the rear grey lines had to be removed. When I looked that grey line was really thin to the point I could break it on the seam.
Good luck with your repairs and we hope it will be an amount of limited damage for all out there.

Yes that grey line cracked on the seam. I have applied some FlexSeal paste to it in hopes it fills the crack, then I hope to wrap with flex seal tape. Since this line is not “under pressure” when in normal use, this solution is quickest to get us repaired and underbelly sealed back up before more freezing temps move in this week.

Gary521

Just cut out the split section. Glue one end with a union and a rubber connector on the other. Flex tape just does not cut it.

TravelTiger

Just cut out the split section. Glue one end with a union and a rubber connector on the other. Flex tape just does not cut it.

Gary, we don’t have time to cut and remove. The crack goes all the way to an elbow and is about 2 feet long. Nearly all the plumbing supplies are bought out locally. Maybe this summer when it’s 50 degrees warmer, we can tackle it then.

TravelTiger

Spent the day checking all of the water lines, on pump and city water, and the water heater. Also checked my repair with FlexSeal paste. Just a single drop of water. I then wrapped all the pipe ones again with FlexSeal tape. I am confident it will hold for now. Temps dropping in the 20s again tonight.

We have one leak left to fix, our shower faucet dribbles continuously. One is on the way.

jbeletti

Spent the day checking all of the water lines, on pump and city water, and the water heater. Also checked my repair with FlexSeal paste. Just a single drop of water. I then wrapped all the pipe ones again with FlexSeal tape. I am confident it will hold for now. Temps dropping in the 20s again tonight.

We have one leak left to fix, our shower faucet dribbles continuously. One is on the way.

Erika - weather permitting, I'd be happy to assist Tony in replacing the cracked gray water drain line at your West Texas Rally. I could even look for the 1.5" ABS pipe around here.

TravelTiger

Erika - weather permitting, I'd be happy to assist Tony in replacing the cracked gray water drain line at your West Texas Rally. I could even look for the 1.5" ABS pipe around here.

Jim, we might take you up on that... weather permitting, for sure. Will be in touch.

jbeletti

Jim, we might take you up on that... weather permitting, for sure. Will be in touch.

Sure thing. Before you close up the underbelly, try to get a sense of materials needed (feet of ABS, number of couplers and types, ABS cement etc.).

I'll have a saw and multi-tool we can use to hack out the bad pipe and couplers. I have emery cloth we can use to prep old ends. I'll bring a tarp and a couple of packing blankets for the ground.

As someone else suggested, you may want to use a Fernco rubber coupler on each end of the new pipe to couple with the old. Just depends on what we have left to work with on what remains in the coach and whether we can move what's in place to use ABS couplings.

Touch base with me a week before your rally on any missing supplies and I'll look at Lowes/Home Depot by me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Do you know what what works good on cracked plumbing pipes? Eternabond roof leak tape.

It’s the RV handyman’s secret weapon! A good wrapping of Rescue Tape would probably do it, too. Used it on a leaking solder joint on our home sprinkler system. Hasn’t leaked in two years since.

TravelTiger

65d88724e2313e7d567eac974b4461ee.jpg

FlexTape paste applied

cbe244588406f96677c2028019c21a26.jpg

FlexTape tape applied

I know this isn’t ideal, but it’ll do for now.

JohnDar

Gotta do what you gotta do, Erika. Sometimes it’s a little MCGuyver

TravelTiger

Gotta do what you gotta do, Erika. Sometimes it’s a little MCGuyver

Yepper, had to get the belly sealed up. Was freezing again Monday night, but today it was 80 degrees. Supposed to rain many of the next few days. I think our weather is bipolar. Last Tuesday I think the high was 16.

JohnDar

A little like the time I spent at Amarillo AFB in late ‘67. Blizzard in morning marching to class, mud in the afternoon marching back to the barracks. And the ever present aroma from the stock yards .

Were we closer, I’d give you a hand

TravelTiger

A little like the time I spent at Amarillo AFB in late ‘67. Blizzard in morning marching to class, mud in the afternoon marching back to the barracks. And the ever present aroma from the stock yards .

Were we closer, I’d give you a hand

It’s that pesky four letter word that gets in the way, w*rk. Thanks for the offer. Jim B has offered to help if the weather is decent at our rally. It’s not whether we can do the repairs, it’s always about having the time to do it.

JohnDar

Yeah, w**k is a nasty four letter word when you’ve been retired for almost 19 years from GM.. Fortunately, with the current paid on call FD I’m on, my schedule is what I say it is. Position is Lieutenant and I take care of vehicle and station maintenance, as well as train the youngsters, and also respond to calls. That and I’m the oldest person on the dept.

bigheart

I found this thread when searching 'underbelly'. I've been smelling a musty odor since the Texas winter storm, emanating from the furnace area, which I realized was coming from the storage area, and I'm guessing, the underbelly. Something must've cracked, and maybe it's a slow leak, otherwise it seems I would have more of a problem.

I admire your ability to get in there, figure it out, and fix it. This being my first RV, and not being at all savvy is such respects. I'm still trying to figure out how to proceed. My son is not comfortable poking around in there since he does not know what he's looking for, or doing. Any advice would be helpful. I'll likely have to hire someone, but am trying to troubleshoot first, and see if it's something we may be able to figure out. My budget requires that.

TravelTiger

Most of your plumbing, tanks and electrical, furnace, water heater and pump are located behind the wall inside your storage compartment. This pic is our Big country and I am pointing to the wall in question. There are screws that hold this wall in place, they are around the edges. If you can remove the screws and gently maneuver the wall or section of the wall out of the way, you may find the source of your smell. Possibly a leaky pipe, water heater fitting, leaking line to the water pump.

The second pic is the wall removed.

e1ff2a3e29821f3456fc9e74e8c6931a.jpg

a8c0f2378ce8f0a5330debea022551b7.jpg