GEN Y pinbox

TXgearhead

I'm wanting to get rid of my hitch and end up with a clean truck bed. I thought about a Reese Goosebox but they don't have one rated high enough for my pin weight...4,000#+.
Has anyone used a GEN Y pinbox on a heavy 5th wheel? The Oshkosh is rated at 18,000GVW and I'm usually 17,400+/-. GEN Y has one rated at 5,500# pin and 25,000# GVW.
My RV shop is scared of it. Worried about the "hinge" effect cracking the frame.
Your thoughts?

TXgearhead

Yeah I'm close, but I think the Goosebox is what I'm going to. I talked to a dealer and he was a bit worried about the GEN Y like my repair shop is. He said he has installed 60+ Gooseboxes with no issues.

RickL

If it was me, I’d place a call to lippert to see if the Gen Y is approved to use on their frames. The reason I’d entertain the Gen Y over the Reese is to eliminate the air bag and potential maintenance of checking the pressure. Additionally, it appears the Gen Y might provide more clearance on tight turns over the bed rails then the Reese (but that’s just me looking). Finally, the Reese from watching some videos appears that the distance from the actual pin box to goose ball is longer then the Gen Y. Personally I don’t need any additional extra length then what I have now. (Personal preference)

TXgearhead

On the GEN Y website they say Lippert is investigating their pin box and it should be approved soon. But that has been on there for quite a while.
The early GEN Y pin boxes had some issues hitting the truck bed sidewalls. They have either shortened them or changed the angles on them. I talked to GEN Y about that because I was concerned that if I bought one it could be "old stock". They said no that all the old stock has been replaced.
I have seen where some people have said that they couldn't do a 90 degree turn with a Goosebox. I've never needed a 90, but who knows.
I've already pulled the trigger on the Goosebox. Told my shop to order it.
I would prefer a GEN Y but until some frame vendor says it's good I wouldn't buy one.
I have no idea on how Lippert would evaluate it. If it's just wait and see if they have any reports of issues or do Finite Element Analysis.

- - - Updated - - -

e trailer shows reese goose neck box 1800 # 4000 # pin wt
I think it is 20,000 GVW and 4,000 pin weight. I'm close on the pin weight.

MTPockets

My Reese standard 24,000 lb capacity hitch mounted into the truck bed with four holes and a latch that was easy to release. I could release the latch on each side and lift the front of the trailer with the hitch attached and hanging from the pin box. Not a big problem for those times I wanted a clean bed, and could leave the hitch in when I wanted.

centerline

gooseneck vs 5th wheel plate..... the gooseneck hitch will ride better if its set up/positioned properly, but its such a pain to hitch up and unhitch, that im not a proponent of them....

a fifth wheel plate only needs to have a bit of the weight removed from it with the trailer jacks, and the truck can then pull forward and let the suspension unload as the plate slides out from under the kingpin plate.... but with the gooseneck hitch, the trailer needs to be jacked all the way up until the springs are completely unloaded, and then jacked up another 4 inches to clear the gooseneck ball.... about 7 inches total.... and then let back down to level the trailer. and then jacked up and lowered again to reconnect...
which is ok if one very seldom has a reason to disconnect, OR, has hydraulic landing gear, but the electric landing gear, which is slow, is not a good match for a gooseneck hitch...