My 2021 Fresh Water Filtration System

jbeletti

SOME BACKGROUND
As some of you know, in past RVs, I've had some pretty interesting water plants. In my last 5th wheel, I installed a 3-stage Jumbo canister filtration system followed by a 150 GPD Whole Coach Reverse Osmosis System. Before the filtered and RO'd water went into the tank, it was pH corrected and when it was suctioned from the tank, it was polished (some flavor and body added) with a carbon filter.

THE TINY TRAILER
Since the 2019 season, I've been using a 2020 Sundance 262RB travel trailer - AKA, the Tiny Trailer. The tiny trailer has no room for such elaborate freshwater systems without a huge sacrifice to storage. So we filter our general use water and we either drink bottled water or use a Zero Water Pitcher system.

THE 2021 SEASON TINY TRAILER FRESHWATER PLANT
For the 2021 camping season, as with the past two seasons, I'm using the ESSENTIAL System, PLUS the Metal Trap Resin Filter from RV Water Filter Store - a 3-stage water filtration system. This season, in position 3, I'm using an Iron / Metal Trap Resin filter. Not big news really, just a slight tweak the last system. I also sanitized my freshwater tank and freshwater lines / fixtures with Purogene. So I am good to go and will head out in about 2 weeks for the first trip of the season.

DISCOUNTS
Shortly, I'll be posted a discount code for the RV Water Filter Store that you can use if you're in need.

PICTURES
Here's a link to my SmugMug image gallery of the pictures inserted below.
Water Filtration System - Completed - Exterior 1.jpg Water Filtration System - Completed - Interior 1.jpg Water Filtration System - In Progress - Interior 1.jpg.jpg RV Water Filter Store - Blue System.jpg Filter Media.jpg Purogene Sanitizer.jpg My Purogene and Citric Acid Formula for my Tank.jpg

Matt750

Very nice setup! How does a system like that affect water pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Very nice setup! How does a system like that affect water pressure.

I haven't done any testing for pressure reduction but I've run 3-stage filtration for a number of years now with good results. I rarely run a pressure regulator at the campground hydrants unless I know or sense they have real high pressure.

porthole

Retired
Is that the preferred sequence of filters or does the iron and carbon elements not matter where they are in the flow?

Flick

I haven't done any testing for pressure reduction but I've run 3-stage filtration for a number of years now with good results. I rarely run a pressure regulator at the campground hydrants unless I know or sense they have real high pressure.

That is so true about most parks having pressure that is not to high. However, when we were in Heber City, Utah last March, the operators at Mountain Valley RV Park forewarned us that the pressure there was between 120 and 130 psi. Good to know.

jbeletti

That is so true about most parks having pressure that is not to high. However, when we were in Heber City, Utah last March, the operators at Mountain Valley RV Park forewarned us that the pressure there was between 120 and 130 psi. Good to know.

Wow - that's some high pressure water! I too have found that parks with 100 PSI or greater generally warn you at check in. That said, when you connect to the hydrant and turn on the water if your hose instantly starts dancing a jig - you know you got high pressure :) And time to add the regulator.

All the funning aside, while I'm a bit more carefree on my overnights, when I'm planning to spend a long stretch at a campground, I'm more mindful to add a regulator if they have higher than usual pressure.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

I had to sign a release at a park in Soldotna AK attesting I had a pressure regulator/reducer to offset the municipality’s extreme water pressure
Been forewarned at several other parks as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I had to sign a release at a park in Soldotna AK attesting I had a pressure regulator/reducer to offset the municipality’s extreme water pressure
Been forewarned at several other parks as well
I think the parks that notify you are being very responsible. Those that make you sign a release... I guess. Suppose they have had RVs that have had damage and this is them waiving their liability. Makes sense I guess.

centerline

how often do you have to change the filters?...

on our last trailer we had a drinking water spigot that had a charcoal filter, and I eventually stopped using it as every time I changed the filter every 5-6 months, it came out a bit slimy, even after I "bleached" the tank.... and I just couldnt continuing to use a device that got slimed up before filter changing time....
I refuse to use a system that needs serviced any more often when the holding tank water seems to stay sweet without being filtered, but I will admit that I know of places where if you had to filter the water or suffer greatly because you didnt.... I avoid these places if I dont have enough water onboard to get us thru the duration of our stay...