Landing gear issues

pharmafrog

I posted this before but have a little more info and a video of the issue. Landing gear just stopped working, when I hit the switch i can hear it click, but get nothing. The added info is that the main slide outs are acting the same way. I hear the click and I believe it is the same thing clicking like a breaker or a solenoid thing that has gone bad. I was having intermittent problems before with both. they would work for a bit, then stop, then I believe the auto resetting breaker would flip back and then work for a bit and then stop. Wash, rinse, repeat. I need to get this thing working ASAP. Thanks for any help.

Cyclone 4100

danemayer

I think the clicking in your video is the trombetta that directs power to the hydraulic pump. As the pump makes no sound, there's apparently power getting to the trombetta, but either no power or not enough getting from there to the pump.

I'd start by wiggling wires at the trombetta and pump motor to see if you have something loose or perhaps a bad crimp. If that all seems good, check the battery voltage. The quickest way to do this is to cycle the auto leveling control to show DC voltage. If you're plugged into shore power (and not into the tow vehicle), you should see 13.2 - 13.6 V on the display. If less than 13.2, you're not getting power from the Power Converter while on shore power. If less than 12.0 V, your battery is too weak to power the pump. In that case, there's a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the battery that is manual reset.

Our owner-written Hydraulic Slide Starts and Stops user guide has more info and may get you an answer.

pharmafrog

Thx, battery is brand new, like I put it in 5 minutes before and it had a top off charge for a day before I installed it. I will check the wires. I am guessing that the tombetta is the small black elongated piece with the three wires attached to it to the right of the pump. Seems like an easy replace.

centerline

Trombetta is the solenoid.....the clicking indicates you are getting a signal from the switches to the solenoid, but the bigger wires going to or from the solenoid has lost a good connection from the battery, or the battery ground has lost its secure connection to ground....or the ground between the solenoid mounting to the frame has been compromised, and is not able to pass the amps needed to operate the pump motor.....

pharmafrog

Trombetta is the solenoid.....the clicking indicates you are getting a signal from the switches to the solenoid, but the bigger wires going to or from the solenoid has lost a good connection from the battery, or the battery ground has lost its secure connection to ground....or the ground between the solenoid mounting to the frame has been compromised, and is not able to pass the amps needed to operate the pump motor.....

So you think the Trombetta Solenoid is working fine, or should I try replacing it? I can check the wires, just need to get back over there.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So you think the Trombetta Solenoid is working fine, or should I try replacing it? I can check the wires, just need to get back over there.
Do you have a multimeter?
You can check voltage at the Trombeta. Check both heavy wires, one should have 12+ volts all the time the other should get 12+ volts when you activate the Trombeta by trying to raise it lower your landing gear or whatever you are doing to get that clicking.
It really sounds like a loose connection somewhere.
It's possible that the Trombeta has gone bad but I doubt it.

Peace
Dave

centerline

I agree with Dave.... if the trombetta solenoid has power at both sides of the solenoid when its activated, its not the solenoid....if the voltage drops severly when the solenoid is activated, the problem is more towards the the battery side of the solenoid....but if the voltage remains good at both sides of the solenoid when its activated, then the problem will be found more towards the motor side of the solenoid....

danemayer

This wiring diagram may help. The cable bundle marked 'F' supplies the control signal to the Trombetta, marked 'K' (for the landing jacks). The battery supplies power through a mini-circuit breaker marked 'L'. The control signal causes the Trombetta to supply power to the pump motor, and also determines the polarity of the power so as to cause the pump to run one direction or the other.

Lippert Levelup Wiring Diagram crop.jpg

pharmafrog

Thank you all very much, should have gone to the DMM sooner. After trouble shooting backwards, it was one of the mini 50a breakers, those things are crap. Replaced it with 80a breaker and all is well. Again, I wouldn't have know what to check without you all. Thanks.

Bruce