Ceiling Fan Again!

Buckeye

Ceiling fan inoperative after less than one year with replacement from manufacturer at "cost". 12 volts at Rocker switch but no light on fan. 110 circuit breaker not blown but no fan operation. Any suggestions or am I looking at replacing fan at Home Depot?

danemayer

Jim,

I think most of the 4 blade ceiling fans in the living room are powered by 120V AC, not 12V DC. There are also usually chains on the fan to turn on the light and to control the fan speed. And there could be a switch on the fan to change direction.

If you measured 12V DC on a rocker switch, I'm wondering if you're checking the wrong switch.

Flick

Ceiling fan inoperative after less than one year with replacement from manufacturer at "cost". 12 volts at Rocker switch but no light on fan. 110 circuit breaker not blown but no fan operation. Any suggestions or am I looking at replacing fan at Home Depot?

Our coach didn’t come with a ceiling fan, but since we can’t live without them, I installed one. Bought it from Lowe’s for $49 and was able to fish the wires thru to make it look factory installed. Ours is 110v but I did notice on line that there are 12v versions. I had to go with a 42” because anything larger would hit on the island lights when slides are in.

fan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckeye

Thanks for the reply. The rocker panel switch is clearly marked ceiling fan. There is also a rocker switch marked " awning receptacle" and it powers a 110 volt outlet. The ceiling fan is definitely 110 volt but it appears to be controlled by a switch on the panel. Right now the ceiling fan is dead. When i contacted the manufacturer of the fan the service rep told me that Heartland went with the least expensive fan that they could get. I think the fact that this will be the third fan in eight years clearly is a reflection of that.

danemayer

Thanks for the reply. The rocker panel switch is clearly marked ceiling fan. There is also a rocker switch marked " awning receptacle" and it powers a 110 volt outlet. The ceiling fan is definitely 110 volt but it appears to be controlled by a switch on the panel. Right now the ceiling fan is dead. When i contacted the manufacturer of the fan the service rep told me that Heartland went with the least expensive fan that they could get. I think the fact that this will be the third fan in eight years clearly is a reflection of that.
If you're sure that 1) the switch is 12V DC, 2) that switch is for the fan in question (and not another fan) 3) the fan is 120V AC, then there would be a relay somewhere, probably behind the switch. The 12V switch would operate the relay, which in turn would pass 120V AC to the fan. HOWEVER, I view the relay scenario as very unlikely. You may want to get some help figuring out what is going on.

I'm curious about the fan manufacturer's comment to you. It sounds like they were implying that they make an unreliable product at a low price and it's Heartland fault for buying it. Is that your take?

Buckeye

Danemayer, Of course that is my "take" The first fan died a few months after the warranty expired. I called the fan manufacturer and my comment is exactly what the customer service said to me over the phone. They offered to send me out a replacement at cost or about $60.00. I guess sometimes you get what you pay for. I have installed four Hunter ceiling fans at our house in Columbus, Ohio. All of which are over thirty years old and still working. Way Interglobal Network was the supplier for the fan to Heartland. And of course it is Heartland's fault for installing an inferior product in our RV.

jbeletti

Jim - sounds like it's time to go the same route Eddie did. Just be careful of blade length and blade height.

Even though the thread is three years old, the frustration of dealing with an inoperative ceiling fan remains understandable. Let's consider some troubleshooting steps before thinking about replacement. Check all the wiring connections to ensure they are properly connected. Sometimes loose wires can cause issues. If you're getting 12 volts at the rocker switch but no light, there might be an issue with the internal wiring of the fan or the light fixture itself. If all else fails, and you did end up replacing it, exploring options like bulk ceiling fans might have been a cost-effective choice. I hope you managed to resolve the issue and enjoy a fully functional ceiling fan once again, even after all this time!

Last edited: