Questions about 2021 North Trail 22FBS

bakchr

We are considering a 22FBS from a couple of dealers. The primary reason is because of the unusually low hitch weight of 395#. We just got a 2021 Ram 1500, but were shocked to find when we got it home our payload was much less than we had expected. Another travel trailer we were looking at was ruled out because the dry hitch weight was 690#. I have done some calculations, and I think that this one should work for us, but would still put us at our maximum payload. The towing capacity is not an issue, we have 11,200#. However, we only have 1250# of payload.
Questions:
1. Does anyone have experience towing one of these with a half-ton PU? How does it tow?
2. What have you seen for a realistic estimate on loaded hitch weight?
3. What does the 2021 "Caliber Edition" add? I can't find any info about this on the manufaturers website.
4. The dry hitch weight is only about 7% of the dry TT weight. I know that the recommendation is for the hitch weight to be 10-15%. 7% seems crazy low from what I have seen, is there a reason for that?
5. Does anyone have experience using an Andersen WDH with one of these? How much hitch weight have you seen shifted to the TT axles? (I know it primarily balances the TV and shifts weight onto the TV front axle, but some is shifted to the TT as well)
6. What is your experience with the 13500K air conditioner. Is that plenty for this unit or would you recommend upgrading to the 15000K?

Thanks in advance for any help!

We tow our NT 22FBS with a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport. Mileage depends upon the terrain. From 8.3 to 11. I added 2000# air springs and use an equalizer sway control hitch. I also installed the factory brake controller. Mine already had transmission cooling and I have recently install a cold air ram system. Our truck is equipped with the 5.7 Liter Hemi engine. I tows well, but you won't have options for moving up to a larger trailer without a new truck. We have towed lots of hills, mountains, at valleys with no trouble. Even did some ice and snow a couple of years ago. If I was to do it again, instead of using the 2000# air springs in the rear, I would go for a more expensive unit from (I believe) Lippert. for over load springs in back. Ours is also a 5'7" short bed so we had to add a rack at the rear window of the truck so that our Kayaks don't interfere with the trailer when turning.