Rotten Bighorn 3685RL floor & Storage Bay

gslabbert5119

I am starting a new thread to document the water damage and repair process of the water damage of my Bighorn 3685RL. I will be posting before and after pictures as I move through this repair process, as well as the new LVP flooring that will replace the linoleum and carpeting in the living and kitchen area.

Currently its a mess, but hopefully all will be good in a few weeks.

The first couple of images are of the rotted are with the linoleum lifted & the others are as I cut out rotten flooring and joists.

I have to figure out a way to remove the stairs without trashing them as there is wood rot and dampness under there as well.

Admin note: This new thread is a continuation of this original thread > link

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 163
Last edited by a moderator:

carl.swoyer

Re: Rotten Bighorn 3685RL floor & Storage Bay

Sorry that you have to deal with that. Best of luck with your repairs. As far as the removal of the stairs look for screws along the edge of the stairs, look into the carpet fiber.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Gavin - I think Carl is on the right track here. Find the screws holding the treads down, remove the treads, then under those in the stairs framing, you'll likely see screws pinning the framing in place. Another thought is see if you have access from the back side and see any screws pinning the framing in there.

gslabbert5119

Sorry that you have to deal with that. Best of luck with your repairs. As far as the removal of the stairs look for screws along the edge of the stairs, look into the carpet fiber.

Thanks Carl, gave it a quick look and didn't see any screws, but I am now going to dig.

Gavin

SLO

As I have the same model as you, I don’t like to see those pictures. I’ll have to scrutinize that area a little more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gslabbert5119

As I have the same model as you, I don’t like to see those pictures. I’ll have to scrutinize that area a little more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SLO I had no indication of an issue until one morning the flooring in front of the fridge felt a little soft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Thanks Carl, gave it a quick look and didn't see any screws, but I am now going to dig.

Gavin
I know on my steps I was able to find some. Myself if I were in your shoes I would remove the carpet to better expose the tread. The good news is you can have new carpet installed.
Edit

Where you have removed the drawer and other things, you can reach in and feel for screw tips possibly sticking out where they attach to the " nailer" . You may find some pocket screws that could assist in removing the assembly piece by piece.
Hopefully the above makes sense.

Last edited:
I have just begun my floor repair on my 2012 landmark, soft spot on main floor in front of fridge.
water came in above rain gutter over slide, caulking had cracked.
Any advise on floor repair or removing old floor under slide would be helpful
Thanks, Barney

gslabbert5119

I have just begun my floor repair on my 2012 landmark, soft spot on main floor in front of fridge.
water came in above rain gutter over slide, caulking had cracked.
Any advise on floor repair or removing old floor under slide would be helpful
Thanks, Barney

Sounds like the same area that I had the soft spot. When you open it up make sure that you remove all of the rotten OSB as that stuff turns into paper mush if it stays wet.

Once you have removed all of the rot, then use a heater blower to ensure that everything is dry.

You are going to have to replace the flooring (carpet or vinyl)

I redid all of my floors with Vinyl planking (LVP)

gslabbert5119

Ok so this has turned into quite the project.

I had to replace a few 2x3 braces, and had to clean out the OSB between the wall and the flooring, where the sides actually rest on the OSB flooring. To replace that I had to cut the marine ply into strips and tap it in so that the side had some support.

Once that was done, and I replaced the 2x3, I glued three 1" insulation foam to create a 3" insulational barrier, then installed the marine ply (no more OSB), and secured it with multiple screws.
I then ripped up all of the linoleum and the carpet and replaced it with 5.5mm LVP (Luxury vinyl planking)

The work is all but done, I have one small piece to do, plus some 1/4 round trim to finish the edges.

Lots of photos attached

Oh, of course the wife saw the floor and said, you are going to do the bathroom ... RIGHT ! so off to the store, for another box of flooring
IMG_0682.jpgIMG_0685.jpgIMG_0683.jpgIMG_0662.jpgIMG_0660.jpgIMG_0643.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

carl.swoyer

Ok so this has turned into quite the project.

I had to replace a few 2x3 braces, and had to clean out the OSB between the wall and the flooring, where the sides actually rest on the OSB flooring. To replace that I had to cut the marine ply into strips and tap it in so that the side had some support.

Once that was done, and I replaced the 2x3, I glued three 1" insulation foam to create a 3" insulational barrier, then installed the marine ply (no more OSB), and secured it with multiple screws.
I then ripped up all of the linoleum and the carpet and replaced it with 5.5mm LVP (Luxury vinyl planking)

The work is all but done, I have one small piece to do, plus some 1/4 round trim to finish the edges.

Lots of photos attached

Oh, of course the wife saw the floor and said, you are going to do the bathroom ... RIGHT ! so off to the store, for another box of flooring
View attachment 65355View attachment 65354View attachment 65356View attachment 65357View attachment 65359View attachment 65358

- - - Updated - - -
Excellent work!
Looks like you didn't have to remove the stairs.

gslabbert5119

Excellent work!
Looks like you didn't have to remove the stairs

Seems that Heartland only secured the the stairs at the back, and when I started to lift them with a bar they swiveled up, so I lifted them and worked under there and then screwed them down once I was done.

Occasionally sloppy work has its benefits

carl.swoyer

Seems that Heartland only secured the the stairs at the back, and when I started to lift them with a bar they swiveled up, so I lifted them and worked under there and then screwed them down once I was done.

Occasionally sloppy work has its benefits

Gslabbert,
That's good to know.
How much did you have in material and time. Looks great. Now you can do are rugs.

gslabbert5119

Gslabbert,
That's good to know.
How much did you have in material and time. Looks great. Now you can do are rugs.

Carl, the cost was very inexpensive. The Luxury Vinyl planking cost was $670, (10 boxes)
c6781d27c9b6c039b199aa66a1fae494.jpg

the edge trim was $60 and the material for the repair was less than $100

To lay the floor took me a day and half, and that’s taking it slowly.

carl.swoyer

That is pretty reasonable.
Now have you determined the source of the water

cashmore

Looks fantastic! Great job, would have cost you significantly more to take it somewhere! Something to be said about having some skills.