new suburban 3 burner cooktop and oven combo, burners appear normal flame but never boil a quart size pan of water

marknewbill

HI,
New camper here, Cant boil water on my stove! That is supposed to be the easy thing to do in a kitchen right?
I have a brand new suburban cook top with oven. the flame appears normal blue green color, and a reasonable looking height. maybe a half inch high over the metal top of the burner.

I will add that other gas appliances including the furnace and water heater are working great. I have not checked the gas pressure but those two are great so I am not terribly suspicious of the main gas supply. the bottle is full and it was warm outside.

the flame adjustment on the stove is maxed out under the knobs- checked that first after searching and reading that here. of course if one of you guys can get me a picture of the correct way the flame should look on max for this same stove, it may show me that my flames are too small?

at the end of the day, we cant boil a simple sauce pan of water no matter how long we wait. (maybe a quart size) it gets very close to boiling, even the tiny bubbles on the sides of the pan. but no real boiling.

I raised the hood of the stove and it does have a tiny regulator in the back with a green dot on it. I don't see any adjustment there. If I was a betting man, that thing is where I think the issue may be. I will return the trailer for service if I need too, I just wanted to be sure that first I had a real problem, and second there was not any self help to avoid leaving the trailer there for many weeks during prime time.

thanks,
Mark.

wdk450

By any chance are you at high altitude?

How long does it take to boil water at altitude?

Finding Cooking Times
ElevationBoiling PointCooking Time
Sea Level (0 feet)212° F (100° C)10 minutes
2,000 feet208° F (98° C)12 minutes
5,000 feet203° F (95° C)15 minutes
7,500 feet198° F (95° C)18 minutes

Have you tried boiling water in a coffee cup in your microwave as a test? It should take about 3 minutes with a standard power microwave at sea level, and is also a good function test for microwaves.

marknewbill

Hi,
I am at sea level here in west TN, or very close too it. That is an interesting chart, is that for the specific stove, and what amount of water. if so I will re test and use a timer to be sure we just didn't give up early. not sure we left it a full 10 minutes.

Thanks.

By any chance are you at high altitude?

How long does it take to boil water at altitude?

Finding Cooking Times
ElevationBoiling PointCooking Time
Sea Level (0 feet)212° F (100° C)10 minutes
2,000 feet208° F (98° C)12 minutes
5,000 feet203° F (95° C)15 minutes
7,500 feet198° F (95° C)18 minutes

Have you tried boiling water in a coffee cup in your microwave as a test? It should take about 3 minutes with a standard power microwave at sea level, and is also a good function test for microwaves.

centerline

the chart shown is not specific to any device, but its specific to water temps and elevation.... it makes no difference what the appliance is, or where you are in the world... water boils at a lower temperature at a higher elevation, which is why cooking times need to be adjusted when at elevation vs seal level....

as for the stove, there should not be a regulator on it, because the regulator at the tank brings the fuel pressure down to about 11iwc, to supply the entire system.... so if there is a secondary regulator on the stove, yu arent getting enough propane to the burner... in the dark, on high, you should see the flame about an inch or an inch and a half above the center distribution puck of the burner.... if not, its starving for fuel...

marknewbill

I see now the stove has a 9000 btu front burner and 6000 rear burners. they all look identical to me, so I never guessed the front was more powerful. Brings my second question...if the only thing diferent there is the valve orifice, has anyone ever considered ordering the parts for the front valve and put them on the rear to get full power? hmm.
Just wondering.

PS I will test if the front burner will boil the water now. I think we always had the water on the back burner literally and figuratively while preparing the more active dish on the front.

marknewbill

I attached a picture. the flame is respectable to me, and the water did boil in 10 minutes on the front burner. the rear though will maintain a boil, but would take a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Attachments

• 20210407_173412.jpg
    20210407_173412.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Wedgewood makes use of 3 burners to prepare dinner with more than one food simultaneously. I assume 3 burners is sufficient to make a whole dinner for an own circle of relatives of 3-4. I just like the open burner layout as it chefs rapidly and evenly. On the alternative hand, the capacity to simmer additionally works nicely for my scenario as I experience slow-cooked dishes. I appreciate the reality that the burners provide extraordinary BTU outputs for flexibility. The front burner produces 9000 BTU, appropriate for short stir-frying, at the same time as the lower back burners generate 6,500 BTU.

Last edited: