Bunks

M26 Top Bunk Removal

Finally did it. I have been looking around and wanted to do this since the first time we had guests stay with us. The bunks in the M26 are just way to close together (height) because of the outdoor kitchen. Even a small child would have trouble getting in and out of them and couldn't even sit up. We decided to remove the top bunk!

It wasn't bad, AT FIRST.
- Pulled the mattress, then the plywood pieces (already cut in 3, easy to remove).
- Then its just screws along the perimeter of the wooden frame.
- Had to remove some of the stapled corner trim pieces below the bunk as the frame fit pretty close to the exact size of the room. Did this in order to manipulate the frame sideways to remove later on.
- Ran into 1 problem. There are 2 screws on the back wall, coming from the OUTSIDE of the RV. These can't be seen or accessed at all. I used a oscillating tool and cut the frame on either side of each screw and removed the entire frame. Then i just spun these small pieces of wood off of the protruding screws. Used a Dremel and cut the screws and will eventually use some putty to cover them for paint to match the walls.
- After that the walls have minimal signs of the bunk, the screw holes are very small and used some wall patch and my wife is going to put a small dab of paint to match the wall color and you shouldn't see them at all.
- Put the corner trim pieces back up and used a 1.5" nail from my nail gun to secure.

Put the top bunk mattress pad on top of the bottom one and then we are ordering a mattress topper, fitted sheets (after modifying) and will make this a nice bed.

Still have to wipe down walls and patch the screw holes but it should be really nice back there.

What do you think?

PXL_20201215_160750917.jpg
PXL_20210412_162434622.jpgPXL_20210412_170731133.jpg
PXL_20210412_195006232.jpg

7F489FD3-E330-4893-92D4-CFB2AB0205C9.jpgD9F7BC15-3DC7-4DC7-96CF-BD58924E6564.jpg
[ATTACH=CONFIG said:
65424._xfImport[/ATTACH]1320DAE8-0D39-4363-A38D-10C4A75561E4.jpg;650229]Looks great, Job well done!!
My husband just went for it and took out the bunk and added a shelf in the corner for a tv and a shelf above the window to store out little girls things. We mounted a tv above the corner shelf and converted the light that was there into a 12v plug in. My girls absolutely love it!

My husband just went for it and took out the bunk and added a shelf in the corner for a tv and a shelf above the window to store out little girls things. We mounted a tv above the corner shelf and converted the light that was there into a 12v plug in. My girls absolutely love it!

That is perfect!!!!! I love the shelf ideas. I still have a bit of finishing to do but I love what you guys did.