Holding Tanks Panel

Good Morning
Being a new member to this site/family I have this question:
We just purchased a used 2017 Landmark Arlington and after we took delivery we found that our black tank reads full. I pulled the dump handle and nothing comes out so I think it must be empty. Any suggestions on how to move forward with this issue.
Stay healthy and safe/
Thank you

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The holding tank gauges are notably inaccurate. Most users have their own method of monitoring the tank levels.
For me, when water is up to my ankles while in the shower it's time to drain that tank.
When my wife says the kitchen sink won't drain, it's time to drain that tank.
When flushing the toilet and it "burps", time to drain.
You will figure it out.

Peace
Dave

RickL

Good Morning
We just purchased a used 2017 Landmark Arlington and after we took delivery we found that our black tank reads full. I pulled the dump handle and nothing comes out so I think it must be empty. Any suggestions on how to move forward with this issue.
Stay healthy and safe/
Thank you
As others will tell you, the tank monitors work when brand new for probably 5 minutes (or less). The sensors get coated, especially the black tank, and you can’t depend on them for any accuracy. Best method for the black tank is wait for the “burp”. You’ll figure it out once it happens. As for the kitchen grey tank, I drain that when I empty the black tank. If you don’t have a dishwasher installed make sure you cap the “y” connection for the dishwasher or you’ll have a water intrusion into your island. As for the bathroom grey tank, personally I leave that open when I’m hooked up to the sewer. (You’ll get conflicting views on this, but this works for me)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After you've used the toilet and flushed it a few times, you should notice a deepening of the sound it makes as the toilet valve opens. When it sounds something like a FWOOMP (best I can describe it), it's getting full. Soon, it may burp, which is a bubble of air coming up the toilet drain, not down. This is an indication the vent pipe for the tank is near (or under) the level of the tank contents. Wait too long and the "burp" may be followed with some of the more recent contents.

Usually, when we had our rig, when the sound deepened to the point I was familiar with, I made sure to dump the tank, along with the galley and lavatory tanks, before retiring for the night (if not sooner). Get lazy and you could find yourself dumping the toilet tank at zero-dark thirty in a rainstorm after the wife gets done describing your parental lineage because she got the mega-burp.

david-steph2018

Good Morning
Stay healthy and safe/
Thank you

First of all, welcome to the group from Las Vegas, for now. As others have said, the sensors will only work for a short time, then give inaccurate readings. You will learn different methods to know when the tanks need dumped. As said the black tank will burp, telling you it is full. Our main gray tank gurgles in the tub, letting me know time to dump.
Also as a added piece of safety device I have added an external valve:
Twist-on Valve | Camping World

it will keep you from getting that "SURPRISE" when you remove the cap to attach the sewer hose.

Flick

Good Morning
Stay healthy and safe/
Thank you

Yes, I think our seasoned rv veterans have totally covered that gauge thing.

One thing to mention that’s kind of important. You mentioned the black tank appeared to be empty. I would verify this by flushing the toilet a few times or pouring water down the toilet and then pulling the valve handle again. This is just to make sure your dump valve is actually working.

Second thing, if the black tank is actually empty, before use, put a good amount of water in it as previously described along with chemicals if you desire. This will aid in breaking down the sewage and not allow piles to form.

As already mentioned, also using a good routine for grey tank draining will help eliminate those late night trips outside.

Enjoy your coach.