Advice on the Calgary Stampede

Georgia_Biker

OK like lots of stuck at home folks we have just finished the Heartland series on Netflix and are anxious to go to the Calgary Stampede. We have never seen a real Rodeo.

We are looking to book the 2022 show.

Has anyone been? Can you advise on full hook up campgrounds?

How do you do the show? We mainly want to see the Rodeo and some exhibits. etc and the Chuck Wagon races - don't care about Midway rides but love deep fried food - we are from the South.

Would appreciate any advice-

Piperflyer

We went to the rodeo in 2017 and would go again. We stayed in Cochrane, AB in a really nice park called Bow River Edge Campground. The park is located 10 min from the train station that we took S.Easterly into Calgary for $5, if I remember right. Great train ride to the park, one of the train stops is right at the Rodeo grounds. We bought our tickets online and had very good seats in the stadium. The rodeo is just over 3 hours long and is one of the best we have been too. Food, beverages, souvenirs are all sold in the rodeo stadium. You still have to walk around the grounds to see all the cool exhibits, food vendors, and stuff for sale.
Don't skimp on cheap seats for the rodeo, you're only there once, so go for it. The seating is all good, but mid center stadium seats are great. We went to the afternoon show.
I would make sure the border is open before purchasing rodeo tickets or making RV reservations. Who knows it could be cancelled this year.
If everything is open I would look to make RV reservations to a park now. Make sure you can get tickets for the dates you want to rent your RV spot.
Give me a shout if I can help you out anymore! Good Luck

Georgia_Biker

We went to the rodeo in 2017 and would go again. We stayed in Cochrane, AB in a really nice park called Bow River Edge Campground. The park is located 10 min from the train station that we took S.Easterly into Calgary for $5, if I remember right. Great train ride to the park, one of the train stops is right at the Rodeo grounds. We bought our tickets online and had very good seats in the stadium. The rodeo is just over 3 hours long and is one of the best we have been too. Food, beverages, souvenirs are all sold in the rodeo stadium. You still have to walk around the grounds to see all the cool exhibits, food vendors, and stuff for sale.
Don't skimp on cheap seats for the rodeo, you're only there once, so go for it. The seating is all good, but mid center stadium seats are great. We went to the afternoon show.
I would make sure the border is open before purchasing rodeo tickets or making RV reservations. Who knows it could be cancelled this year.
If everything is open I would look to make RV reservations to a park now. Make sure you can get tickets for the dates you want to rent your RV spot.
Give me a shout if I can help you out anymore! Good Luck

Fantastic reply! You have answered most all of my questions. We are planning on going in 2022 and surly the border will be open by then. I was already looking at Bow River Campground, we have another couple traveling with us with their 5th wheel so I think we'll go ahead and book our sights. We are from the Atlanta, GA area and will be coming from W Glacier National Park.

So taking the train to the Rodeo worked out good? Sounds better and easier than taking a Ram 3500 Dually into Calgary to find a park. We have never seen a Rodeo and we figured this would be a good start. Thanks for the information.

I don't think tickets are available yet for 2022 but you recomend seats closest to the middle of the grandstands - lower better or higher?

Many thanks

Piperflyer

Fantastic reply! You have answered most all of my questions. We are planning on going in 2022 and surly the border will be open by then. I was already looking at Bow River Campground, we have another couple traveling with us with their 5th wheel so I think we'll go ahead and book our sights. We are from the Atlanta, GA area and will be coming from W Glacier National Park.

So taking the train to the Rodeo worked out good? Sounds better and easier than taking a Ram 3500 Dually into Calgary to find a park. We have never seen a Rodeo and we figured this would be a good start. Thanks for the information.

I don't think tickets are available yet for 2022 but you recomend seats closest to the middle of the grandstands - lower better or higher?

Many thanks

I think higher is always better, so look for seats higher in the stands. I am also hearing that Glacier National Park is limiting the amount of people that will be allowed into the park because of over crowding starting this year. You might want to check into this when making your plans. Glacier is one of our favorite National Parks. The drive from W. Glacier to Calgary is beautiful, if the mustard & canola crops are in bloom in AB. Glad I could help you out and feel free to contact me with anymore questions. We have family in Newnan, GA

Georgia_Biker

I think higher is always better, so look for seats higher in the stands. I am also hearing that Glacier National Park is limiting the amount of people that will be allowed into the park because of over crowding starting this year. You might want to check into this when making your plans. Glacier is one of our favorite National Parks. The drive from W. Glacier to Calgary is beautiful, if the mustard & canola crops are in bloom in AB. Glad I could help you out and feel free to contact me with anymore questions. We have family in Newnan, GA

I am booking W Glacier today for our dates. I don't think you can book Bow River Edge more than 365 days in advance according to their website but, I will give them a phone call to confirm.

I can't believe camping has gotten so poplular and you have to book campsites so far in advance - crazy!

Thanks again-

Lmajeff1

Hello, we went two years ago and stayed at the State Park just West of Cody. The Rodeo was great.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk