Wrong under rated axles

2018 Heartland Fuel 335 w/25k miles in tow. I’m wearing tires & bearings out. Dry weight is 13,500lbs. GVWR is 17000lbs. Just pulled the hubs to replace bearings & install new tires and discovered to my horror the trailer came from factory with 6000lb axles. The placard on the rv says 7000lb axles but this is not the case. As the rv sets with empty weight it is overloaded on the factory axles. Bought this trailer new in 2018 and never had a reason to check or doubt the factory axles since Heartland says its supposed to have 7k axles. Never any road damage and never overloaded but both tandem axles are bent from normal use because they are only 6k axles.

Anyone else ever ran into this issue?

Last edited:

danemayer

There's a label on the axle with Lippert or Dexter information that will precisely identify what you've got. If it says 6,000 lbs. (not something like 6,000-8,000 lbs), I'd have a picture of the label ready to email and call Heartland Customer Service at (574) 262-8030 or (877) 262-8032. Have your VIN # ready. They'll want to see the picture.

If the wrong axles were installed, I'm sure Heartland will pay for replacements. And they may also agree to buy you new tires or reimburse the expense of low mileage replacements.

The first thing to do on the phone is try to reach agreement about what axles are supposed to be on the trailer. Once they agree they're supposed to be 7,000 lb., then it's a short step to get agreement that they actually installed 6,000 lb. axles. And from there, it should be a simple matter to gain agreement for Heartland to correct the situation.

Keep in mind that axle manufacturers (and other companies) sometimes save money by using the same part in more than one application. It's possible that Lippert or Dexter may have manufactured a 7,000 lb. axle and sold it with 2 different labels, one 7,000 and one 6,000. Even so, I would think that the label on YOUR axles should match the application. Even if it is the same actual metal, you may be able to get a replacement based on the label.

Update: Took the trailer back to the dealer at Camping World. The dealer confirmed both axles are bent and are under rated for the trailer weight. They are submitting the issue to Heartland along with photos of the damage to the tires caused by the cambered wheels ridding on bent and under rated axles. I am hoping Heartland will help to resolve the issue and replace the axles.

rhodies1

Update: Took the trailer back to the dealer at Camping World. The dealer confirmed both axles are bent and are under rated for the trailer weight. They are submitting the issue to Heartland along with photos of the damage to the tires caused by the cambered wheels ridding on bent and under rated axles. I am hoping Heartland will help to resolve the issue and replace the axles.

i would also do after Heartland to replace worn tires ,it’s their issue and should cover ALL damaged/worn parts.
Don’t accept just axles and install costs . You and your family purchased this unit in good faith that it was built to a specific spec. And meet all safety protocols.

Thank you all for the advice. I had the dealer send photos of the tires to Heartland as well. Hopefully we’ll get a quick answer as travel season is here but I can’t pre plan any long trips until we get the issues with the axles resolved. May do a short trip about 20 miles from home for Memorial Day weekend but I’m afraid to get too far away and don’t want to ruin another set of tires.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I would be proactive about this and call Heartland yourself (have your VIN handy) to checkup on the information you get from Camping World. CW is notorious for not following up or flat-out lying to customers about service problems.

NYSUPstater

I would be proactive about this and call Heartland yourself (have your VIN handy) to checkup on the information you get from Camping World. CW is notorious for not following up or flat-out lying to customers about service problems.

^^^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^