Thread: RV dump valves.

1. Print this Post   #1

RV dump valves.

Has anyone replaced their manual blade valves with electric valves? How difficult is it to do?
    My grey #2 won't close and my black water leaks.
    2016 landmark charleston.
    2016 Landmark 365 Charleston.
    2016 RAM 3500 4x4 SLT DRW.

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: RV dump valves.

Seems as if I read some other threads on here a while ago, and the report was that the electric valves can leak just as easily as the manual versions....and are just a lot more expensive.
    2015 Landmark Ashland 365
    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie Long Horn, HO diesel dually, 3.73, AISIN
    2013 Big Horn 3260RS (sold)
    2011 Elkridge 26RLSS(sold)

3. Print this Post   #3

After owning many RV's I came to the conclusion most valves will leak at some point, as debris gets stuck at the gate. It tends to come lose over time, but my best solution was to add this after-market valve. That way I never have the SURPISE flow of whatever fluid might leak. Great investment at only $49.

https://amzn.to/3vJb5ZM

71Igo2LZ+nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

4. Print this Post   #4

To actually reply to your question: Yes, I have transitioned between the 3" cable operated valve to the electric valve, Valterra to be precise. The difficulty factor is based on where your current valve is located, if there is room to accommodate the sliding action of the valve, and how many valves you want to replace. For my situation, I had easy access to the valve and I had installed a 12 Vdc outlet in the UDC for a previous need. Just recently I somewhat observed a double valve replacement (two bathrooms) on a Landmark and the process was significantly more complex than on my Bighorn because of the tank locations and the drain manifold that also serviced the gray water drainage. I resisted the swap but now really like the new valve and the installation solved the soft, non-sealing, action of the cable valve. I still see no need to replace the gray tank cable valves as they operate efficiently.

5. Print this Post   #5

5 or 6 years ago, I replaced my cable valves with Barkley electric operated valves. Have had a single issue yet and would do it again. My cables were bad and wouldn't close the valves completely, the electric was only $10 more than replacing the cable
    If you aren't in trouble or causing no trouble, you aren't having any fun!! And I am having a blast!!!
    How about you??
    2019 Ram Limited Crew Cab 3500, 6.7 Turbo Desiel, 1,000 FTPD of Torque, Aisin, 4.10's, Max Tow, Towing Technology
    "Classic" 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, Mor-Ryd, Trail Air Air Pin, Disc Brakes, 17.5 Wheels & Tires ( 6,000 lb Cap @),
    Dishwasher, Induction Cook Top, and a few other improvements

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon_Camper View Post
    After owning many RV's I came to the conclusion most valves will leak at some point, as debris gets stuck at the gate. It tends to come lose over time, but my best solution was to add this after-market valve. That way I never have the SURPISE flow of whatever fluid might leak. Great investment at only $49.

https://amzn.to/3vJb5ZM

71Igo2LZ+nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    I would like parks to recognize adding a double valve like this after the main valves the same as a cap. I hate removing those caps because not only are they hard to turn but they may have a suprise on the other side...BTW, do they make a wrench or tool to assist in removing hoses or caps, I looked around but didnt see one in the camp store.