Disc Brakes

wdk450

The 1 problem with disk brakes that I have encountered over the years is the fact that you can easily lock up the trailer wheels with the disk brakes without knowing it in the truck pulling the trailer. Some smoke from the trailer wheels and the smell of burnt rubber could be your only clue before you find ground flat spots on your expensive tires.

mikeandconnie

Nice, this will be my next addition. I have been lucky the last 200000 miles. My best friend not so lucky with his new Ford 900 miles on it with a simple fender bender $36000 repair bill, yes three zeros . The bolts broke on his Reese hitch and bent the aluminum bed and front end parts.

jnbhobe

The 1 problem with disk brakes that I have encountered over the years is the fact that you can easily lock up the trailer wheels with the disk brakes without knowing it in the truck pulling the trailer. Some smoke from the trailer wheels and the smell of burnt rubber could be your only clue before you find ground flat spots on your expensive tires.

If your sliding the wheels you have the brake control set too high.

CoveredWagon

You can do that with drum brakes as well if the controller is set wrong. You typically need a less setting with disc brakes.

Been towing for years with disc brakes and never locked up wheels.
Dave & Jon are right, back off controller.

Hockster

jimcat

A RV place picked our RV up in South Whitley to tow to Middlebury Indiana for some work on the roof.. But, before he left the driver noticed the brakes not working.. I just talked to him and he said they never did.. Disc Brakes.. 8 k axles.. I opened the chamber where the hydraulic fluid is.,. there is fluid in there. what could of been the issue? Or what may still be the issue? thanks.. the fella that towed it 500 plus miles originally for us did not report any issues. So, it has been sitting, since late August until last week

Jim Posz

A RV place picked our RV up in South Whitley to tow to Middlebury Indiana for some work on the roof.. But, before he left the driver noticed the brakes not working.. I just talked to him and he said they never did.. Disc Brakes.. 8 k axles.. I opened the chamber where the hydraulic fluid is.,. there is fluid in there. what could of been the issue? Or what may still be the issue? thanks.. the fella that towed it 500 plus miles originally for us did not report any issues. So, it has been sitting, since late August until last week
The trailer brake controller in the tow vehicle needs to be compatible with the electric over hydraulic disc brakes. It is possible that if it was not set up properly they did not actuate. One crude test if all you have is the trailer would be to pull the breakaway switch. The hydraulic pump should hum pretty loudly. Don't do this for long, just enough to test.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Did he happen to mention how he determined that the brakes never worked? If it's been sitting since August there might be a coating of rust on the rotors.

Peace
Dave

jimcat

He was pushing on is brake pedal and we were listening at the brake area for any clicks.. none

wdk450

One time my disk brake system went out, and I found that the power wire to the trailer battery from the accumulator/pump had come disconnected. I now ALLWAYS do a manual lever brake test on the truck controller BEFORE leaving the campground.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim Posz has the best info. But, you should have been listening for the brake actuator (pump) running up front. You most likely will not hear a click at the wheels like you will with the drum brake (magnets).

Peace
Dave

jimcat

The trailer brake controller in the tow vehicle needs to be compatible with the electric over hydraulic disc brakes. It is possible that if it was not set up properly they did not actuate. One crude test if all you have is the trailer would be to pull the breakaway switch. The hydraulic pump should hum pretty loudly. Don't do this for long, just enough to test.
How would one get that brake controller to be compatible?

jimcat

What year is your tow vehicle?

On factory incorporated controllers, it mearly is a "Hyd/Elec" selection in the on-dash menu.
Thanks. I do not recall what year the young fellows truck is. I will pass it on to him