Power King Towmax STR tires

deron1

Does anybody have any experience with Power King Towmax STR tires? I believe they are made by Cordovan. I have these on my new 09 Sundance 2900MK that I picked up from the dealer about 3 weeks ago. Mine are ST235/80R16 Load E, 10 ply radial. Hope they will be better than the Mission tires that I have read so much about.

fishn2dmax

Hi,

Go look at the DOT codes and put up on here. From the DOT codes we'll be able to tell what country and what plant the tires were made in. Based on the name, I have a feeling these are China made. Only way to know for sure is off of the DOT codes.
By the way, congratulations on the new 2900MK, we sure love that floorplan.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like fishn2damax said, they are probably made in China. Your 2900MK is well under the rating for load range E tires so I would use tham as long as you are comfortable with them. The main thing is keep an eye on the psi and watch for bubbles and uneven wear. While your traveling, stop now and then and feel them for heat. If you have one running hotter than the rest it may have a problem. Remember the tires on the sunny side of the trailer will be warmer than the shaded side going down the road. Also cold air pressure varies with the ambient temperature. You can air up your tires to 80# cold on one day, and the next morning if its cooler you may only show 75 on your gauge. As long as they are all the same you should be OK.

Cyclone Traveler

I put the Towmax on about 6 months ago and have since put 15,000 miles on them with no problems. They are wearing much better than the Goodyears I replaced.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here is some information about the DOT codes.
The code you showed I can not figure out.
Dot 83b5 Gpb
The 83b5 should be the date of mfgr and the Gpb
In the Gpb the pb might be but I don't see a Gp.
PB
CA GOODYEAR DE VENEZUELA
VALENCIA
EDO CARABOBO
VENEZUELA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire#DOT_Code
DOT Code
In the United States, the DOT Code is an alphanumeric character sequence molded into the sidewall of the tire for purposes of tire identification. The DOT Code is mandated by the US Department of Transportation. The DOT Code is useful in identifying tires in a product recall.
The DOT Code begins with the letters "DOT" followed by a plant code (two numbers or letters) that identifies where it was manufactured. The last four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. A three-digit code was used for tires manufactured before the year 2000. For example, 178 means it was manufactured in the 17th week of 8th year of the decade. In this case it means 1988. For tires manufactured in the 1990s, the same code holds true, but there is a little triangle (Δ) after the DOT code. Thus, a tire manufactured in the 17th week of 1998 would have the code 178Δ. After 2000, the code was switched to a 4-digit code. Same rules apply, so for example, 3003 means the tire was manufactured in the 30th week of 2003.
Other numbers are marketing codes used at the manufacturer's discretion.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm
All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes

Hope this is informative.

fishn2dmax

Dot 83b5 Gpb
:(

Deron 1, I have some bad news for you! Your DOT code is the exact same DOT code as what was on Previous China bomb Unicorn Express tires that came from the factory on my 2900MK. If you download the latest DOT codes, you'll find 83 is a plant in mainland China and the B5 is the tire type. Here is the link to my tire previous tire discussion on this same DOT code //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=3036

It appears that chinese factory is putting out a lot of different brands of ST trailer tires using the same tire mold. My strong advice is to only use them until you can afford to replace them, and really watch the air pressure. Do visual pre-trip and post trip inspections of the tires; I know inspection of the tires saved me a blow out.

I had less than 6000 miles and one tire had a large bubble and three had tread seperation
They are only giving $198 credit. I bought Goodyear 614 after reading comments on our Heartland site.

lwmcguir

We have quite a few Power Kings (made in Brazil) on low boy trailers. Noticed yesterday they are really cracking and have low miles on the tread.

sdrubrecht

We are in the process of rebulding our boat tailer. It has set out in the sun (boat has a cover) for 10 years and takes about 10 50 mile trips to the ocean each year. I hadn't paid much attention to the tires until I joined this forum. Anyway, I had 4 Towmax, made in China in 2001, bias ply tires on the trailer! They showed almost no wear and no cracking from the sun! Wheels were badly rusted from the salt. We replaced them all, new wheels also.
Guess even China doesn't build em like they used to.

TireHobby

I've been using the Power King TowMax STR size ST235/80R16E since 2005 and I'm on a second set. I've had two tire failures during that time frame - both road hazards - and have suffered zero manufacturing defects. My axle weights total (scaled) 11,500# to 11,700# on average.

TireHobby

Gaffer

Took my Towmax tires off today. About 6,000 miles on them. No noticable wear. 2009 date code. Put them on craig's list for $200. See what happens. I switched to Maxxis.

trvlrerik

If you have access to a sale barn that sells livestock or a vet that treats large animals, put a sign on the bill board in the office offering the tires for sale. Every set of tires I have put up are sold in days for use on farm trailers.

57chevyconvt

Had the same bubble/thread separation problem with two of the four TowMax STR tires after 5000 miles. Contacted Power King and they allow $600 credit for all four tires. Changed to GY G614 tires on all 5 rims.

TireHobby

Took my Towmax tires off today. About 6,000 miles on them. No noticable wear. 2009 date code. Put them on craig's list for $200. See what happens. I switched to Maxxis.

ST tires are not as standard with their load capacity as LT tires are. If you had the TowMax STR ST235/80R16E tires and replaced them with the Maxxis 8008 trailer tire ST235/80R16E you lost 100# of load capacity per tire.

Please don't hammer me if you already knew that because lots of people do not and I'm just posting informative information.

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Trailer.aspx
http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/sigma/viewline.asp?id=306

TireHobby

Gaffer

I still have nearlly 3,700 pounds reserve. I am only 10k on the rear axels. If I could find a way to get it in there, it could support my Jeep.

Zeman

Bought my M-22 in Feb 2010. All tire sidewalls are checking already. 6 trips last year--all within 1 hr of home. Called Heartland --SOL--over a year. Next step?? Call tire maufacturer??