Houston, we got a problem

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
This is a picture of my (the large white dish in the rear of the trailer) Motosat Internet Dish. My carrier is Gilatsat. I prefer them over direct-tv. They are more forgiving on overages and allow the average person to have internet. The speed is not the greatest. But, no matter where I am, I got internet!

When all the mods are done to the trailer, I'll be able to get satellite access from any rest area in the US. I plan on adding solar and a generator as time and money allows.

//heartlandowners.org/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=108

This is a picture of my, the small grey dish at the front (pointy-end) of the trailer, Weingard Traveler Satellite-TV Dish. My carrier is Dish. I prefer them over direct-tv. Dish is not as difficult to work with as I've found direct-tv to be.

I'm not nuts about all the music channels. The have their own, some CD format channels and Sirius. Which for me is a waste of bandwidth. I have XM and mostly listen to Talk-Radio. Sirius is not a news-radio heavy. They have 99.9% of the common satellite tv channels.

//heartlandowners.org/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=107

I've got nearly $10,000 worth of Ham Gear locked up inside the trailer. When I get finished installing antennas this thing should look like an Army Antenna Farm.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Lefty,
Do you come to Dayton Ohio for the large Hamvention they have at Hara Arena? It seems to be a really big deal. I have only been there once looking for computer parts.

Mark

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hey Lefty,
Do you come to Dayton Ohio for the large Hamvention they have at Hara Arena? It seems to be a really big deal. I have only been there once looking for computer parts.

Mark

I used to enjoy making the Hamfest and Swapmeets..you could pick up some good stuff at rock bottom prices. Nothing like going thru the trunk of some guys car...by flashlight...at 4 am...before the meet opened. Just to get the best "thang"! And, you got to see what 1,000 other guys were doing..and how they did it. A lot like the "Trailer Mods" everyone here wants to do.

Then two local merchants didn't like the 4X a year 2 hour meets...they felt it cut into their business...this coming from people that wanted more than the national debt for some heliax. Instead of coming out and meeting the people and building a relationship with the local hams, these two guys decided to stop the meets, their way.

One Saturday morning, (we met the 3d Saturday of each quarter--4 times a year) a repesentative from the Texas Department of TAXES showed up with somebody from the Texas Department of COPS...and began asking for tax license and and their 4.5%. And, forcibly (sp) shut the meet down. That shot it in the foot for me. The two local businesses were quite proud of their actions and bragged about it to their customers. They had their busineses to protect.

I can take you to a place in Missouri that has ham swap meets once a month. People set up on the sidewalks, cafes and other local businesses open early..people come from all over for it...and everyone wins...the city says it's been one of their wisest moves in years. And, they want to make it even bigger. Money talks.

Yeah, I know all about the laws...and I know right from wrong...but, these swap meets have been going on since the beginning of time...So, ham's that just wanted an excuse to get rid of junk...then go over to Denny's and drink too much coffee, called it quits.

And because those little swapmeets stopped that little spark went out. In the computer age, Ham Radio has taken a pretty good shot in the shorts. Why build when you can buy? Why study code or radio therory? I wanna send a message to Iceland...I got the internet. The kids didn't get to go with Dad on that special Saturday..and pick up the ham bug. The didn't get to copy that first scratchy code message from somplace far far away...they couldn't afford the costs. No meets..no junk parts to cobble together that first receiver.

So, the swap meets came to a screeching halt...and Ham Radio in Houston took a dive. The Clubs still in existance started doing only mail order business. Those guys who met at the swapmeets decided no more local purchases by any of the members. You can get some good deals on the internet. So, instead of buying it now locally...they started getting it a little later from somewhere else cheaper. Every radio I've ever had, except for my first, has been bought off the internet.

The state got some $$$...less than $30 sales tax. Some good people got in trouble. The owners of the shopping center parking lot we used to meet at got hassled. The local's lost a tradition. The kids lost exposure to the hobby. And, the two local shops went out of business. Ham's have a really long memory..and tradition bound beyond all belief--some of these guys thought that anyone that didn't do code on a spark-gap transmitter were CB'ers --got their revenge.

We all lost.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Lefty
You did not answer the question, are you going to Dayton Hamvention. If you are I will see you there.
VE7HRA