Swapping couch and recliners?

skyguy

For the folks that like to swap the couch and recliners...

That couch is sure no light-weight!

Has anyone tried rocking the couch so that the couch is "on its back" at the back of the 5vr, would it fit so the slides can move in????

Seems that would be easier than swapping the two all the time. We don't own one yet, but if someone wants to buy my SOB, we'll buy a 3580 in an instant!:):)

Thanks

Al Schlafli

Dragoon

Can't be done on ours, unless you don't want the glides to come in. Can't speak for all models, but think this has come up before and that's the way most of them are.:mad:

ChopperBill

We tried it in ours. Didnt last long, made the living room seem smaller. We are contemplating a theater seating couch/recliner and replace the couch, then take out the foot stools for the euro chairs. If we have over night guests we can throw an air mattress on the floor.

jbeletti

For the folks that like to swap the couch and recliners. That couch is sure no light-weight!...

Al,

We prefer to sit in our recliners to watch TV directly across from the set. So when I setup for more than an overnight, I usually swap the sofa to the rear cap so the recliners can be placed in the slide.

You're right - for an air mattress sofa bed - it is heavy. Here's what I did to make this easier. I installed the plastic gray slick round discs that are furniture moving glides - on each of the 4 feet. They are stick-on type (adhesive backed). ez Sliders (Bed Bath and Beyond and elsewhere).

Now I can move the sofa with relative ease. I did find that it will float when traveling. Can't have a surfing sofa so now, before I travel, I lift one corner of the sofa up and place a piece of that grippy cupboard shelf liner material under the one foot. Problem solved.

Jim

5584213805245P.JPG

Delaine and Lindy

Lazy Boy....

We have taken out the RV funiture our of all our 5th wheels (5 ea). We have a 92" couch in the rear and a Lazy Boy Love seat recline-away in the door slide. However we would have removed the 92" couch when we picked up this 5er, but the rear of this couch doesn't come off its all made together? We would have to removed the rear windon per manufactor, but we elected not to do this. We have frameless windows and ask dealer had they ever remove the rear window and the answer was no. So we still have the 92" couch. We now know we can get it our the front door, if not I have a saws-all it will be gone when we return. The couch will be replaced with our Lazy Boy recliner and a glider rocker which will give us more room. We do have a queen size air mattress for emergencys. However we haven't been anyplace that didn't have a hotel for company, our 5th only sleeps 2. GBY...

skyguy

Jim - that sounds like a great idea!!

But nobody so far has really answered my question -

I'm still wondering if it would be possible tp lay the hide-a-bed on its back, after it is positioned in the back of the 5vr, with the feet of the couch sticking out towards the room??? Now some hide-a-beds defintely don't like this, and the bed will try to open on you, and / or even on its back, the couch may still be too wide for the slides to close.

We don't own one (yet),but as soon as we peddle our SOB, we've definitely got the model and options picked out!

Thanks -

Al Schlafli

Dragoon

Just measured it on its back, will not work! There's only 29" between the glide trim and the rear of the coach on our rig, may be different on others. The legs to back of couch measure 37 1/2" when its on its back. You could probably stand it on end, but I wouldn't and didn't measure it, you would end up with something broken for sure. In case you are not aware of it, this is the most violent part of the coach when traveling. This is why we'd never, ever, ever get a rear kitchen coach again, no matter how much shocking, air hitching, etc. you add :mad:

We do like that type of floor plan better, maybe someday Heartland will give a little more room back there for such a plan. For now, we, too, just move things around when we're going to be in one place for longer than a couple of nights. Hope this is what you're looking for...

skyguy

Thanks, Bill! Uh, that wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but had already guessed that your answer would be "No-Go" Oh well :(:(

Thanks for your response!

And I know about the hazards of what rides behind the wheels, so to speak. If it ain't nailed down, it sure won't be where you left it when you arrive at your destination!

We even lost the glass light globe on the bottom of our ceiling fan one trip. It miraculously dropped into the trash can, but of course did not survive the drop. At least the cleanup was simple - empty the trash! (And I swear I had just checked the screws on the last trip!:mad:)

Al Schlafli

Dragoon

Ah, yes, the fun of being a RV'er.:) When we crossed some railroad tracks a couple of years ago (at about 25mph), our 2 recliners in the rear came to be recliners in the kitchen (mid-ship). Our coffee table became firewood fodder. Everything, and I do mean everything in the rear overhead cabinets was strewn from the rear to the stairs up to the bedroom. I won't even go into the rear kitchen model we had before we retired...:mad: As a friend of our once said, "It's all part of the adventure".

By the way, the railroad tracks are just off I-40, Exit 133, 6.3 miles North on US-95 towards Las Vegas from Needles, CA, area. We saw a few other rigs stopped just after the crossing, am thinking they were cleaning up as well :confused:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There is a railroad crossing on Hwy 146 between Livingston Tx and Liberty Tx the same way. If you go faster than about 10 mph you have a mess.