Is this normal?

lrmike

OK, another of my questions for the dealer later this week is about the roof. This is the first unit I've owned with a rubber roof - the previous ones all had aluminum - and I'm not too sure what to expect. If this is normal for the EPDM membrane, OK, if not then what? I guess I'm a little gun shy since my dad had to have his replaced after it tore on a limb and then peeled back once he hit the road!:eek:

SundanceRoof007.jpg

SundanceRoof008.jpg

SundanceRoof011.jpg

SundanceRoof013.jpg

2010augusta

if it is really cold there, I bet the there could be some contraction of the roof and expansion of the membrane in the sunlight. just my $0.02 I have seen this before and believe it is "normal".

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Mike,

Mine looks like that also. It tends to "tighten up" under bright sunlight and heat, and then look a little loose when it gets really cold (like what we've had the past few weeks).

Gus

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I haven't been on my roof for about 3 months. Mine never looked that bad but I am going to go on top today and see if it has made any changes.

If it were me I would go back to the Manufacturer and have him correct that. I have some small bubbles here and there but nothing that goes all the way across the roof and up the side. I even had it documented with my dealer on the PDI so if it comes apart in the future they will know that I was concerned about it when I purchased it.

BC

PUG

Pug
Mine on my 3950 doesn't have wrinkles like yours hot or cold. Looks like a sloppy job of leveling the fabric out.

lrmike

It was about 65 degrees when I snapped the pictures. Temps have been a little low for the area at around 30 to 40 degrees average. The roof looks the same cold or hot - even after 2 weeks in the FL sun the wrinkles were about the same.

It would seem to me that if the EPDM contracted it would tighten cold and be looser hot? Or is it the wooden roof that contracts? :confused:

I will still bring it to the dealers attention as a definite concern and see what they recommend (I'll also take th opportunity to climb a few more ladders ;))

cjbearden

Visitor
We have one wrinkle that appears occasionaly but nothing like what you have shown. Document it with a dealer in case there are future problems. Talk to HL Customer Service rep for VA today so that you are certain HL is aware of the issue also.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
It's not normal. They are supposed to lie flat with no wrinkles. Ideally, to provide a smooth air flow with minimal interferance. If this thing has large wrinkles in it...then it was plain cut too big. If any air gets up under it at towing speeds, you are going to need a new roof cause it's gonna rip it off...or tear it badly.

When I picked up my new truck Saturday, I got behind a guy with the same problem on his 5ver. I got him to pull over and told him about it. It looked like a 1/2 way inflated parachute.

lrmike

Dropped the 5vr at the dealership today (Chesapeake RV Solutions) and had a chance to climb 4 other ladders and see most of the inventory. Most of the roofs were totally smooth, maybe a small bubble or ripple here and there. Mine is definately WAY looser. It was bitter cold (in the high 20's or low 30's) so we didn't spend a lot of time outside so I'll see what they have to say about it soon and let everyone know.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Guys, I've looked at all those pictures again...and what I'm seeing is not normal. What it looks like is a really poor fitting job by the shop crew. Kinda like one size fits all...but, not quite. It looks like the roof was put on after everything else...kinda like they put all the skylights, ceiling vents and such on first and then put the roof cutting holes for the roof stuff...and the holes would not match up if they pulled the wrinkles out!

The roof will contract when it gets cold and expand when it gets hot. Rubber does not shrink when it gets hot...it expands. Blow up a balloon and set it in the sun and see what happens...or in the cold. It won't be the same balloon you just blew up in 20 minutes.

If you have stuff like that on the roof at cold temperatures...you are gonna have a real mess on your hands this summer at highway speeds, if the wind gets under it. If you climb up the roof and hang a shoe in one of those folds you are going to tear it.

I'm not sure how they do it at Heartland..but, at a couple of other places I've seen that roofing come in large rolls and is run off the length of the trailer and then trimmed and fitted. Only one time have I seen it precut..and even then..the roof was pulled tight and trimmed as part of the final process.

That roof is just not right.

lrmike

As soon as I get feedback from the dealer I'll fill you all in here.

I'm sure you are right on the expansion thing, Lefty. We spent the holidays in the FL Keys and I do believe the issue was a bit more evident - I have a tendency to think it is my imagination (or paranoia) but they seemed pretty big.

Since I'm the only driver I've never seen the rig going down the road so I have no idea what its doing up there :eek:

Netem

Mike I climbed up on my Sundance today and my roof has very few bubbles on it and they are at the edges and small. I think this is going to be a real problem down the road. If the dealer doesn't do anything for you I would send the pictures to Heartland. No matter what they tell you this is not normal.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have a tendency to think it is my imagination (or paranoia) but they seemed pretty big.

NO, you just hope it's your imagination...it's usually paranoia and expectations on mine...complete paranoia and very correct expectations.

If it's gonna break...it'll break on me. I've got the worlds worst luck.

Experience has taught me that extended service plans and excessive insurance is a REAL good idea:p