Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble...or Washin' the Old Bod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Being full time in an RV with no bathtub can be hazardous to your health. Getting in and out of a tub ain't no cakewalk either. Getting in and out of the shower is long past difficult. The door is just too narrow. And, the bathing area inside is too small because of the molded in seat. The biggest draw, for me, to buy the Heartland was the shower. Experience has taught me a lot about what is wrong with it. The built in is just too small. The water controls are in the wrong place to use with the seat. They catch me right in the back and make me lean forward. Bracing myself while seated there is too difficult. And, because of the low quality controls, you can radically change the water temp without trying. I'm very unhappy with the diverter/mixer that is currently there. One minute its freezing cold...the next nothing but hot.

Right now, I'm using two plastic stools to get in and out. One to sit on outside the shower, the other to sit on while in the shower. This can make for some tense moments. The use of a transfer board is almost impossible. And, what room remains makes it difficult to bathe.

Being alone, if you fall, you may lie there a while before, you get help. Luckily, the bedroom and bathing area is small enough to be able to crawl up on the bed and get steady from there.

A local firm is supposed to be starting the conversion in the next couple of days. We are presently nogotiating the shower head and controls. I'm hoping that the "renewvation" (play on words) will take care of it. Maybe this will take care of my current bathing situation.

I will definitely be taking and posting pictures while the construction is going on.

Tom of Ypsi

We do not have a shower with a seat in it, Classic Landmark, but looking at models with seats I too am wondering if the engineers ever try to use what they design. We often wish we had a seat, folding or permanent, but not up against the H/C valves. Good luck with your rebuild and glad to see you will show all of us pics.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
They start the tear out at 1530 hrs today. Guess I'd better go wash my funky body. This is gonna take a couple of days to get it right.

UPDATE: They wanted to do the tear out today...but, it's gonna be AT LEAST two weeks before the stall comes in...seems it's not even ordered yet...Question to contractor: "What do I do for a bath until the new stall comes in...think maybe we should wait on the arrival of the new unit BEFORE you tear the old one out??"

Response: "Yeah, maybe you're right"

More as it happens.

Last edited:

cjbearden

Visitor
http://www.premier-bathrooms.com/easybathe_bathtub.php The Premier walk-in tub is what we would like but don't know if it would work in the RV. I was thrilled at the idea of the molded seat in our new LM but then to use it is not even practical. Life you say, Lefty, those controls in the back do nothing to help one balance!!! I had a shower stool in our BH but it wouldn't work in the LM with that molded excuse of a seat. Who uses that, a kid? Barely room in there for our bodies, let alone any type of assisting aid. Guess you are not supposed to enjoy a long hot shower! By the time I stand to wash my hair, I just want to fall out of the shower and forget the rest because my low back is screaming so bad. Thanks to the Oxygenics showerhead, I can get more done faster than before and that means a lot.

Well, Lefty, I sure hope you got a good contractor but sounds like starting off someone doesn't have their thinking cap on straight. Stay on top of it and get it like you want it. Looking forward to the pics!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
http://www.premier-bathrooms.com/easybathe_bathtub.php The Premier walk-in tub is what we would like but don't know if it would work in the RV. I was thrilled at the idea of the molded seat in our new LM but then to use it is not even practical. Life you say, Lefty, those controls in the back do nothing to help one balance!!! I had a shower stool in our BH but it wouldn't work in the LM with that molded excuse of a seat. Who uses that, a kid? Barely room in there for our bodies, let alone any type of assisting aid. Guess you are not supposed to enjoy a long hot shower! By the time I stand to wash my hair, I just want to fall out of the shower and forget the rest because my low back is screaming so bad. Thanks to the Oxygenics showerhead, I can get more done faster than before and that means a lot.

Well, Lefty, I sure hope you got a good contractor but sounds like starting off someone doesn't have their thinking cap on straight. Stay on top of it and get it like you want it. Looking forward to the pics!

Yes ma'am...and they want over $22,000 to install their top of the line. They won't discuss any of their cheaper products. I said, "Holy ****!"...the VA said, "Huh?"...
I'd love to have one of those tubs with the shower...I'm just going to have to go with a home brew jobby.

As for the contractor, he is highly recommended...but, sometimes their people ain't that hot.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The shower situation is still in flux.

The grab rails were installed today. I'm going to check them out when I get finished here. I'll get some pictures up this weekend...but, you seen one john and grab bar you seen 'em all.

My daughter will be down this weekend...I may be able to get the little shelf mounted on the outer wall. Just big enough for a book, ashtray and toilet paper roll.

More as it "rolls" out.

Status
Not open for further replies.