Cleaning Exterior

linuxkidd

Which specific product do you use? I'm always afraid with all the stuff that contain petroleum distilates and other junk that are bad for the decals and plastic and rubber parts.

Thanks!

For the RV, I'm gonna end up using Z-5... Z-2 would work great too, but I save it for the other vehicles...

These products are absolutely safe for anything that is a smooth finish. Plastic, Gelcoat, decals, etc... It actually forms a molecular adhesion with the surface. Whatever you wipe off after it dries is literally how much you've wasted.

One $0.25 (quarter) sized dot of Z-2 will do the entire hood of the Charger. 2 fl oz does 2 coats on any vehicle I've tried it! (Including: Charger, Ram 3500, and Jeep Grand Cherokee). Of course, the RV will probably take a bit more than that... But, it's great stuff, and it does go a LONG way.

They have other products too, like the Z-AIO which is supposed to be an all-in-one product with some cleaners in it ( more akin to typical waxes ).. The Z-5/Z-2 products are polish only, meaning they do NOT contain any cleaners or abrasives. So, get it as clean as you want it, then seal it up.

The thing to keep in mind is that these products do NOT contain any wax at all. They do not liquify in the sun and trap dirt/bugs/etc.. in the polish when it cools. This effect of carnauba wax based products (most of the rest of the 'polish' market) basically turns your next polish/buffing job into a sanding job on the finish of your vehicle.

The Z-2/Z-5 products are also rated at UV-40, so it's like sunscreen for your paint/gelcoat/decals. Keeps them from fading in the sun. The Z-6 detailing spray is also anti-static, so less dust/dirt sticks to the vehicle.

Ok, I'll step down off my soap box now. I don't own any stock in Zaino, nor am I affiliated with them in any way. I just really LOVE their products. Feel free to ask me about any product in their line. I've used most of it at least once.

LK

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
For the RV, I'm gonna end up using Z-5... Z-2 would work great too, but I save it for the other vehicles...

These products are absolutely safe for anything that is a smooth finish. Plastic, Gelcoat, decals, etc... It actually forms a molecular adhesion with the surface. Whatever you wipe off after it dries is literally how much you've wasted.

One $0.25 (quarter) sized dot of Z-2 will do the entire hood of the Charger. 2 fl oz does 2 coats on any vehicle I've tried it! (Including: Charger, Ram 3500, and Jeep Grand Cherokee). Of course, the RV will probably take a bit more than that... But, it's great stuff, and it does go a LONG way.

They have other products too, like the Z-AIO which is supposed to be an all-in-one product with some cleaners in it ( more akin to typical waxes ).. The Z-5/Z-2 products are polish only, meaning they do NOT contain any cleaners or abrasives. So, get it as clean as you want it, then seal it up.

The thing to keep in mind is that these products do NOT contain any wax at all. They do not liquify in the sun and trap dirt/bugs/etc.. in the polish when it cools. This effect of carnauba wax based products (most of the rest of the 'polish' market) basically turns your next polish/buffing job into a sanding job on the finish of your vehicle.

The Z-2/Z-5 products are also rated at UV-40, so it's like sunscreen for your paint/gelcoat/decals. Keeps them from fading in the sun. The Z-6 detailing spray is also anti-static, so less dust/dirt sticks to the vehicle.

Ok, I'll step down off my soap box now. I don't own any stock in Zaino, nor am I affiliated with them in any way. I just really LOVE their products. Feel free to ask me about any product in their line. I've used most of it at least once.

LK
Where do you buy Zaino.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Every weekend waxing? Wow... I just don't have that kind of time... But, for a 'just waxed' look that lasts about 9 months (with washing every weekend), check out Zaino. I use it on my vehicles... And will be using it on the RV as soon as it warms up enough..

Make sure to check out their 'testimonials' page... amazing stuff! Wipe on.. Wipe off.. no buffing needed...

Oh, and one glamour shot of my own.. :D
DSCF7217.JPG

L8r all,
LK

So the license plate says Virginia????? What up?

linuxkidd

So the license plate says Virginia????? What up?

It's an old pic... From before we fled the insane asylum that calls itself Virginia. (a whole other topic, and in no way indicative of the people which live there... just the silly things the state and local government does. )

My current plates are all NC.. but none are personalized as of yet..

trdeal said:
Where do you buy Zaino.
You can only buy it online from their site (LINK). Keeps cost down by not dealing with a middle man.

And, I will warn that there may be some sticker shock initially. The full kit for everything including Leather products runs about $125 or so... But, that kit will last about 2 years or more... with only having to replenish the Car Wash.

L8r all,
LK

itsbeertime

LK
Thanks a ton. Great information. I really appreciate the detailed reply. I was thinking of trying the Z-AIO at first. Sounds the easiest for starters. Do you know offhand it it has any UV inhibitors also?

And I was going to ask about your license plate (and inspection sticker which caught my eye first) too, but I'm glad someone else did. :) I hope to be joining you in escaping the insane asylum here and heading that way also in a few more years.

Again, thanks a bunch!

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Best yet cleaner

John and Debbie,

I my experience, and this is our fifth camper, I have found the best yet for black streaks, without adverse effects. Go to the Dollar Store and buy AWESOME. It comes in a white spray bottle with red letters, and the liquid is yellow. I spray it on and wipe it off, then wash the area right away. Good luck! I think you will like it too, and it only costs $1.00.

I buy it by the case.:)

linuxkidd

Thanks a ton. Great information. I really appreciate the detailed reply. I was thinking of trying the Z-AIO at first. Sounds the easiest for starters. Do you know offhand it it has any UV inhibitors also?

From the Zaino site:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Z-AIO includes our most advanced sunscreen and UV protection.
OK, so, my Z-AIO story... It definitely has some abrasives in it. ( as does most non-zaino waxes ). On the perfect finish of my Charger, I tried the Z-AIO and was sorely disappointed. This was primarily due to the abrasives causing a... prismatic.. effect in the clear coat. I didn't even notice it until the sun came out the next day... and by then, I was sick.

So, I chatted w/ the guys at Zaino. They advised me on a rapid recovery... Basically, you treat the Z-AIO as you would a buffing compound ( like their Z-PC which is amazing if you need to take out some scratches from get'n too close to a shrub )... You must finish with front-to-back (on horizontal surfaces) or up/down (on vertical surfaces) motions. After doing this, the clear-coat was back to it's perfect condition... but I don't use Z-AIO on my vehicles.

To be honest, because of the buffing action required, and the elbow grease that goes with it.. Z-AIO is more work than Z-2 or Z-5. But, with Z-2 or Z-5, the work is in the prep. Z-AIO basically you wash the vehicle, dry it, and apply... Z-2 or Z-5, the surface must be clean of everything first (which is why the kits come with a clay-bar).

[/FONT]
And I was going to ask about your license plate (and inspection sticker which caught my eye first) too, but I'm glad someone else did. :) I hope to be joining you in escaping the insane asylum here and heading that way also in a few more years.

Good luck get'n out! I'm ecstatic that I did... It's to the point now that I shudder when I have to drive through that place.. I can almost feel my hard earned $$ slip'n through my fingers in taxes, fines, more taxes... (but I hear they repealed the civil fines for traffic violations... what a crock that was.. )

Again, if you have any more specific questions... feel free!
LK

P.S. The down side of doing as much research into automotive finish protection as I've done is that you figure out you should never take your vehicle through a car wash. I only bucket wash my vehicles now. (Of course, there's Zaino car wash (Z-7) too.. :)) Car washes employ a very pH Base solution to strip everything off the car easier. The problem is that base solutions strip EVERYTHING... Including any protection you've put on there. So, be careful out there. Don't end up being one of the people w/ a big oxidized spot on their roof/hood because the protection you thought you had was blasted away the very next wash...

geeman53

Clean and shining is the only way we roll! My obsession with shining comes from 15 years of showing two very different maxed out show vans.In the spring ,we first Spic n Span
the rubber roof.Then a good washing w/ Dollar Store's Awsome followed w/ Full Timer's Black Streak Remover,then Meguiar's Flagship Marine wax.For a quick shine enhancer ,Meguiar's detail "pimp juice.
The obsession w/ shining also effects my son AND two SIL's-ALL MY FAULT.
Geeman

geeman53

Hey Jim,we'll be @ the Ohio Rally and we have an album that I'll stick in the fiver.Pictures can't do justice and trophies can't either,but pictures are still good to jog the memory.
Geeman

jbeletti

Sounds good geeman.

Gonna be in the low 60s here on Thursday. I just may give my Zaino kit a workout on the Prius.

Jim

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Very good advice in here.

I too am a Zaino freak.... started using it 6 years ago on the vette, never even thought about for the camper.

Here is an old shot with the Zaino products

ACFFFC.JPG

On the boat I liked to use Race Glaze, got this product from Mitcher T... great painter.

Pics%20028.jpg

jbeletti

I used the Zaino products on the Prius on Tuesday. WOW!

Here's what I got done:

1. Cleaned engine and engine compartment
  2. Scrubbed tires and wheels
  3. Stripped car by washing it with water and Dawn detergent
  4. Dried car
  5. Clay barred car
  6. Washed car using Zaino wash
  7. Dried car
  8. Polished car with Zaino polish
  9. Treated car with Zaino treatment
  10. Polished car with Zaino polish
  11. Treated car with Zaino treatment
  12. Polished wheels with Zaino polish
  13. Dressed tires with Zaino Tire treatment
  14. Opened all 5 doors and washed the painted jambs, seals, panels and glass
Need to:

• Vacuum interior
  • Wash all interior surfaces
  • Use Zaino window cleaner on all glass
  • Polish interior painted and smooth surfaces
Will that ever get done? Who knows...... :p

flamingknitter

Jim -

On a Prius? Now, on your truck - that would be impressive!! Just kidding. I need to find someone to do that to my truck.

skyguy

I used to do our PT Cruiser faithfully when we first got it back in the summer of '00. It was easy to find in a parking lot - you just looked for the :Dglow! :D.

I tried it on our old SOB 5ver - not too bad. Will use it on the new 3670 comin'

How does Zaino do for easing off bugs on the front cap after a trip????

Al S.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
ok. I am a little reluctant to ask this question because after all I am a man ,but here goes. I have always waxed my own vehicles and have never had the problem I am about to describe.I bought a bottle of the Maguiars Premium Flagship Marine wax.It works well. I applied the wax with a microfiber pad to a small area,let it dry to a haze and removed it with a terry cloth bonnet on a buffer. The wax came off fine and most of the area looked good but there were places that looked like a smeared swirl.I don't know a better way to describe it.It was not a swirl mark.Like I said it looked like a smeared swirl.I went back over the area and it looked a little better,but I still was not happy with it.I then tried an area on the fiberglass front cap and the same thing.Anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to solve it.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I used the Zaino products on the Prius on Tuesday. WOW!

Here's what I got done:

1. Cleaned engine and engine compartment
  2. Scrubbed tires and wheels
  3. Stripped car by washing it with water and Dawn detergent
  4. Dried car
  5. Clay barred car
  6. Washed car using Zaino wash
  7. Dried car
  8. Polished car with Zaino polish
  9. Treated car with Zaino treatment
  10. Polished car with Zaino polish
  11. Treated car with Zaino treatment