Caulking

tmcran

I have noticed that the windows and the storage doors have caulking only on the tops and not down the sides and bottoms. Is there a reason for this or should I caulk all the way around?:confused:

SmokeyBare

Caulk on the bottom would trap any water that may have found it's way in between the Window frame and the RV Walls.

If the top caulk has done it's job... it should flow the water to each side... and gravity in most cases would pull the flow down the side walls. :)

That said... I guess if you still want to caulk something... run a bead along each side to prevent any water from being blown between the frame and the walls...

In my view... :)

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The windows on RV's are set into the wall with a gasket sandwiched in between the frame and wall. They are drawn together from the inside with screws and the gasket is supposed to prevent leaks. The Caulk on the top and down the upper corners is to prevent water from setting in the crevice and allowing mold to form. Like SmokeyBare said, it wouldn't hurt to run a bead down the sides but leave the bottom open.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Well I found out the hard way when I put a new kitchen window in upside down and it rained inside. The reason was there are drainage holes on top. The caulking I inspected on other rigs was always on the top and sometimes on the sides but never on the bottom as it traps water.

And yes it was me trying to be mechanical and I almost fell off the ladder and did put it on upside down. So luckily, since I used plumbers putty, it was pretty easy to correct. Almost tiiiiimmmmber..........