Geocaching

J-W&E

We have read about Geocaching.

Website http://www.geocaching.com/

Has anyone on this forum tried it? If so, what GPS are you using. We would love to see a thread started and hear of your experience. It sounds like fun.

davebennington

We have tried Geocaching my sister told me about it and it is a fun thing to do. we use a hand held unit by Garmon. I understand that there are better more expensive unit on the market now.

Dave:)

HTWT

HTWT
We have been geocaching on and off for a while now. Ironically we just went out last weekend and found two more. We use a Garmin GPSV, it does the job well…same unit I use in the truck hauling our 5er. I also use Street Atlas as well as the mapping software you can buy for the Garmin. On the geocaching site our name is the same as here, Have Trailer Will Travel. The only thing I find hard about it is getting the time to devote to it. Geocaching has taken us to some interesting places, I do have one regret…I wish I got into it when the kids were small, it would have been a fantastic family outing for us. HTWT :)

J-W&E

Thanks for your help. I see that you are coming to the rally too. We will have to get a group together and chat. Jim and I are anxious to get started.

HTWT

HTWT
I agree on the chat for Geochacing…and…maybe we can get a few hours to go look for a few. I did a search for zip code 46526; Goshen, and there are tons of them in the area. Anyone else into Geocaching? HTWT ;)

jbeletti

Rich,

I'm game for a geocaching chat too. I've been interested for a couple years. Need an excuse to buy a portable GPS too!

Jim

HTWT

HTWT
Geocaching is a great pastime, and a fantastic adventure for the entire family…both Diana & I like the hunt. You don’t have to be a gps geek, just someone that owns one, and is interested in getting outdoors. As of today, (1 Apr 06) there are 250,296 active caches in 221 countries. In the last 7 days, there have been 181,082 new logs written by 28,413 account holders. Just go to http://www.geocaching.com/ and type in your zip code and see what’s available in your area. The idea is that someone hides things in a container, sometimes in plain view of everyone, and then they publish the latitude and longitude coordinates on the web site. You enter the coordinates in your GPS and then hunt for the cache. When you find it, you usually sign the log book and take something from the container, and leave something you brought with you. There are also special items called travel bugs that people put in the caches’ with a specific goal, usually getting from one part of the country to another, you log your “finds” on the web site. The actual hunt is the interesting part, sometimes the cache is in plain site, right in front of you but you can’t see it. Sometimes people around you look at you and wonder what the heck you are doing. We had a mailman in Lubbock, TX stop us one time asking if we were lost…did we need some help getting somewhere…you do look suspicious some times. We usually carry a clipboard with some paper and a camera, people look but leave you alone thinking you have an “official” purpose with what you are doing. All in all, I would not wait until the rally to get into geocaching, do it now. We started by printing a couple of pages from the website and finding the first one. Look us up on the site, http://www.geocaching.com/, our name is Have Trailer Will Travel. We are not experts in the sport but have found a few. Hope to see you all at the rally, Diana & Rich. ;)

Last edited:

J-W&E

The rally should be GREAT fun. We can hardly wait. It should be fun to hear about others experience. I can imagine that people might wonder what you are doing. I like your idea of the clip board to make yourself look "official". ;)

cantrallm

My wife and I geocache frequently here in Idaho, we use a garmin 76 CS and have never had trouble finding caches with it. It is a great way to get exercise and relax at the same time, if you make it up this way give us a holler and maybe we can show you around this part of the country.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a question for you geocachers. We use Microsoft Streets & Trips to get close to a cache. Once we're near, I use a very basic Garmin GPS12 to find it. The problem I'm having is Microsoft and Garmin are about 8 miles apart when it comes to coordinates. The Garmin is very accurate, Microsoft is way off. Any help out there???

davebennington

I am not that fimular with the microsoft streets, however we use Delorme and it has an option for narrowing the area you are looking at down to 200 feet. Then I use the Garmin hand held unit.

Dave