Cleaning the EPDM Rubber Roof

jbeletti

**copied from the Landmark forum as Bighorn has the same roof**

Hi all,

I saw some posts over at rv.net discussing cleaning of trailer roofs. Some of the discussion suggested using Murphy's Oil Soap on the roofs. Do not use this for your EPDM Rubber roof on your Heartland trailer.

From what I have read elsewhere, Murphy's Oil Soap can be used on TPO roofs (don't quote me though - do your own research if you own a TPO roof).

I spoke to Scott at the factory and confirmed with him that the EPDM rubber used on Heartland trailers is made by Alpha Systems, Inc. in Elkhart, IN.

EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene Dien Monomer.

At the bottom of this post is more information on EPDM but first, here's what Alpha has to say about maintenance of EPDM roofs:

Cleaning and Maintenance of Alpha Systems Royal Roof EPDM Rubber Sheet​

Proper care and maintenance of the recreational vehicle, including the Royal Roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.

Periodic cleaning three or four times a year is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems suggests using a household cleaner such as Top Job®, Spic-N-Span®, or Ajax® Cleanser. Granulated cleaning products perform better for cleaning EPDM. Since the surface is not smooth like fiberglass, a medium bristle scrub brush should be used instead of a sponge. The rubber membrane requires scrubbing much like a white-wall tire does. For tougher stains, like those from oak leaves or pine sap, use kitchen cleanser with bleach. ** Extra precautions need to be taken to control runoff onto sidewalls when using products containing bleach.

After cleaning, rinse the roof and sidewalls of the RV completely to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking.

Quarterly inspection of the roof is highly recommended. Check the membrane for possible damage and check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas and around all accessories and fasteners.

Alpha Systems Royal Roof EPDM is quite inert and will dependably resist weathering. It can, however, be cut or punctured by sharp objects. If damage does occur, the Royal Roof membrane can be easily patched. Use caution when placing any articles on the roof and exercise extreme care and caution when working on top of your vehicle. The Royal Roof may become slippery when wet, so remember to exercise extreme caution when cleaning the rubber membrane.

EPDM rubber does not require periodic application of any product to protect it from UV light or ozone. Such products can often damage the EPDM membrane. Protect-All® Roof Treatment for EPDM rubber roofs, 303® Protectant for EPDM rubber roofs, or other products compatible with EPDM rubber roofing may be safely used. If you have any questions about these products, please call Alpha Systems Customer Service at (phone number) for assistance.

! DO NOT USE ACETONE OR ANY PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES ON THE ROYAL ROOF !​

Royal RoofTM Solves the Problems of Metal Roofing​

Alpha Systems introduced ethylene propylene dien monomer (EPDM) roofing to the RV industry in 1987. It soon became the first choice by manufacturers as an attractive, lightweight, rust-free, leak-eliminating alternative to traditional metal roofing. Today, Royal Roof from Alpha Systems is the only brand you need to know - it's the undisputed leader in dependable roof systems.
Royal Roof EPDM rubber sheet gives you:

* Excellent UV protection
* Pliable, long-lasting performance
* Easy cleaning with ordinary household products
* Easy maintenance and repair, if ever necessary

Alpha Systems also manufactures the roofing adhesives and sealants to fit your specific production and manufacturing requirements.

ChopperBill

I asked the manufacture of our truck camper what is the best snake oil to put on the rubber roof. His reply"If it should have been up there I would have put it up there". Other wise no special fancy pants preservatives needed. Thanks Jim for confirming that.

v92c

Texan
I scrubbed my roof last week. And it did not come completely clean, it is grey and splotchy. I used granulated laundry soap and bleach, and scrubbed it 3 times.

Has anyone found better results from the recommended cleaners? I looked for Spic-n-Span powder at several stores, all they had was the liquid.

Tony

Tom of Ypsi

I have found the easiest place to find Spic and Span is in one of the Dollar stores. I have tried Walmarts, Targets and other chains with little luck the same goes for the liquid Calgon for cleaning the black water tank.

K

Ken Washington

Hi All,
I am having the same problem getting mine clean and I did notice white particles on the concrete this last time. Has anyone seen this?

Ken

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
My owner's manual says that discoloration and graying is normal and to use mild detergent for cleaning and rinse with clear water. Any other harsh cleaning agents could damage the roof.

sidney dreyfus

Bubbles on roof

I went up on the roof today and noticed a couple of air bubbles. Only two. They aren't near any seams or caulking so I'm pretty sure they are just air and not water related. It appears the rubber roof isn't completely adhered to the roof at these two spots. They are irregular shaped. One is about 3" wide the other 4 " wide. They are about 6 ft. apart. Is this a common occurance or a reason for concern?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Sid there should be no petroleum in the cleaner. Anything that removes petroleum will hurt the epdm. Stay away from detergents that remove oil. Nice and gentle is the way to go with a soft brush.
Rand

osims

bsims
I cleaned the roof on the Bighorn this AM and noticed it was time to recaulk at the front and rear cap. You have to look pretty close, but the original caulking had pulled loose in several places mainly toward the corners, Went to RV dealer and bought Dicor EPDM caulking , applies easily . Now good as new. Just a reminder to take a look.

jpmorgan37

Good call Bill. This is an inspection that should be done every year, even if it's just sitting and not moving. There is a lot of expansion and contraction going on with the temperature changes, not to mention the movement just from going over our less than perfect highways.

osims

bsims
I had to scrub the roof pretty hard to get it clean. I have a pressure washer but I was scared to use it. Has anyone had experences using one on the roof.

jbeletti

I have read here somewhere of someone carefully using a pressure washer on the roof. I've been wondering about some sort of water pressure powered head for cleaning the roof and maybe the sidewalls.

In the Northern Tool catalog, there are a few. Some are about 12" round and have jets only. Others are about the same size but have brushes. You'd sort of use it like a round face floor scrubber.

Here's one for their Karcher brand units.
1579880_lg.gif

And another Karcher unit.
1579870_lg.gif

And here's one that is universal.
157623_lg.gif

There's a bunch more as well.

Jim

cmart

Jim thanks for the epdm info. Everyone is trying to sell us cleaners for our roofs and most of us already have it in the kitchen. Again, thanks for the info.

jpmorgan37

osims;
I use a pressure washer on mine and did on my last fifth wheel. I don't use the jet but use about at 8 to 10 inch fan. My pressure washer is 1400 psi and it really works great on the slide awnings when they get stained. It removes a lot of the tree stains from the roof too. I usually pressure wash it and then scrub it and then go back over it with the pressure washer. It is due now, I've just been waiting for a cloudy day.

John

jbeletti

Not sure where I heard it - maybe here, but I was told to take Tilex and spray it on the awnings, roll them up wet, wait 15 minutes, roll them back out and spray them off.

I may be wrong on the cleaner but it was something used in the bathroom for mold/mildew. Better wear a hat (and a poncho)!

Jim