Kitchen cabinet corners

jane08

We are new to the Forum. We have a 2008 Big Horn 3355RL. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem. The kitchen cabinets are between the kitchen and living room. The outer corners of the cabinets are squared off and are sharp, does anyone have a solution?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
You might check the baby section at walmart or target? they have clear stick-on corner guards for coffee tables, etc. I've been thinking they might work.

We had the same issue and started a thread to see if anyone else had this issue. I could not find clear corner guards but I did find these in brown. I used the 3M Command strips to attach them upside to the corners. Using the 3M Command strips allows you to remove them when you want. I know you’re thinking that the brown really stands out, but after awhile the brown does not really bother you as much as your head connecting with the sharp corner.

Here is the URL that I ordered them from.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/search.jsp?N=0&Nty=1&Ntk=Def&Ntx=mode%20matchpartialmax&Ntt=09743

09743.jpg

2010augusta

Sand-paper and a small amount of stain, if the cabinets are solid lumber.
Same if you are talking about the countertop, just sand the corner of the solid surface down to a better shape, and the fine sand/polish to bring back the finish.

2010augusta on the 2008 3055RL the trim on the cabinets’ appears to be covered with wood grain vinyl. I would be reluctant to round & sand the corners if the trim in a composite material covered with vinyl.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The Bighorns do have solid lumber doors and stiles and framing same as the Landmark. The only thing that's mdf is the end piece on the wall cabinets. I'm thinking jane08 is referring to either the cabinet doors or the corner board going up the stairs. All of the corners on this wood is very sharp. We found clear 1/2" plastic corner trim in 8ft. lengths at Home Depot. It has adhesive on it with strips of paper to be removed before installing. We lightly sanded some of the doors and touched up with neutral stain.

On my 2008 3055RL the kitchen cabinets are a L-shape configuration over the sink and have 90° very sharp corners as you can see in PIC-1. I believe the trim is a composite material covered with wood grain vinyl that simulates wood trim. This is why I was reluctant to round & sand these corners. Instead I’ve covered the two corners with soft rubber corner guards that I found on the Internet as seen in PIC-2. I affixed them to the corners upside down by using the 3M Command removable adhesive strips. I wasn’t able to find clear corner guards, which would have been my first choice. Even though they are brown and not clear, they certainly provide protection for your head when you come in contact with one of these sharp corners.

PIC-1

PIC-1.JPG
PIC-2
PIC-2.JPG

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
seaulayter, I see your point. Pun intended:D. It looks like you could remove the vinyl wrapped trim and replace with real oak trim which would allow you to round the corners and finish with stain. It might cost a few bucks for the molding but would present a more "custom" look. This is, of course, assuming you have access to a miter box or saw. Our 3400 has the same trim as yours above the stove but our upper cabinet has a different end piece.

jane08

Thank You!

We are new to the Forum. We have a 2008 Big Horn 3355RL. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem. The kitchen cabinets are between the kitchen and living room. The outer corners of the cabinets are squared off and are sharp, does anyone have a solution?
I would like to thank everyone for their replies, so fast.

Re: Thank You!

we are new also . what type counter top do you have? If it is like ours there is not much you can do. Hope others have been more help

jimtoo

Re: Thank You!

we are new also . what type counter top do you have? If it is like ours there is not much you can do. Hope others have been more help

Hi routzahnjl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The post you have replied to is over 2 years old, so you will probably not get a reply back. I think all of the counters now are of a material similar to Corian. Don't remember the name right now,,, senior moment.
On our 2008 the corners are not sharp, are you having a problem with yours?

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M