Portable Generator

jpjulian

I was in my local Menard's yesterday and came upon a McCullough portable generator. It was rated at 1500 watts and there was no indication on the display unit or on the box that it was an inverter model. Clearance price was $399.00. I know 1500 watts doesn't go far but that $399 price has me intrigued. I've been shopping a bit for a portable genset in preparation for a lengthy trip to Alaska next summer. The Yamaha 2400i I saw on the net was ~$1200 and claims to run most 13,500 btu ac units.

Anyone out there have any experience with the McCullough or similar sized units and what can I expect to be able to power with it?

Joe

skyguy

One thing about most models in that price range.... NOISE!1

A friend has one similar, and everybody really razzes him when he fires it up - it's worse than a lawnmower going full blast.

Might be OK if you are by yourself in the middle of nowhere...

And you think you'll need your air conditioner in Alaska????

boatdoc

Don't make the same mistake that most of us have made by getting a cheap, LOUD genny. I know it's hard to part with the money BUT the inverter models are the way to go and they start just below 1K.
I have been thru the gamit with gennys and am most happy now with the Kipor 3500TI but also have a Boliy 3600 Pro. They both work great, are not loud at all and when I bought them, were cheap. The Kipor has a good track record now that it has been around awhile and Coast RV picked them up as the national distributor. My Boliy had a couple of tiny problems at first but with about a hour of my time they are all cured and it runs great. Just got back from the races at Vegas and we put over 55 hours on it there and never a glitch.
Both gennys will run everything in the trailer, ofcourse on there own.
I also have a Kipor 1000 for just messing with and charging the batteries when we don't take one of the bigger ones while boondocking.
Good luck and stay QUIET

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The 1500 watt generator will probably not run the air conditioner. It would run the tv and charge the battery and maybe a couple of lights.

phranc

Seems that Kipor has come into it's own.. It has stuck around for a couple of years..
The Honda and similar Yamaha are a tough act to follow. Work well, national service
and quiet.

Pulltab

I have the Yamaha and it works great but I am not sure about the Mccullough It would be plent to charge your batteries and run the tv and stuff, Actually most everything but probably the microwave and AC.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JP, I noticed one other post about the KIPOR gennie. I have one, 3000W, sine-wave. It will run 1 A/C and the microwave at the same time. Is very quite. Weighs less than #100. The unit comes with a wheel set and is a key start. I use it out in the yard now for stuff rather than drag an extension cord around. BTW, be careful what you buy, if they are not sine-wave protected, you might smoke all the electronics in your coach. You might what to check them out. RV dealers are selling them. Bob:D

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Get a honda. It is the best on the market. Quiet, dependable, parts everywhere across the usa. If you plan on sleeping with the noisy gen. Next to your rv, get ear plugs and don't park by anybody else in the campground that you call a friend.

wdk450

Gang:
Have any of you mounted these generators in the front generator compartment of the trailer? What fresh air and exhaust ventilation modifications are needed? How do you keep refueling safe and not burn up the rig?

SmokeyBare

WDK,

I would not install a portable generator inside your RV... Generator equipped RV's have a sealed box the gen sits inside... adding a layer of protection for the fumes they create and a layer of protection for a fuel leak.

When I use our Honda... I place it outside... under one of the Slide out rooms... using a heavy cable and lock to prevent it from growing legs and walking off.

For those who want extended run time... many have bought a portable fuel tank designed for boat motors... and making a modification to the generator's fuel cap... so the fuel line can be connected. These can be purchased on EBAY...

Attachments

• 7d6a_1.jpg
    7d6a_1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 66

Jburks

1500w will not start or run your AC. I found a deal last year on 4400watt max. - 3500w cont. for $299 and its quiet.

Is this unit very heavy, also what is the height of this unit, I have limited space in the bed of my truck.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
1500w will not start or run your AC. I found a deal last year on 4400watt max. - 3500w cont. for $299 and its quiet.

Is this unit very heavy, also what is the height of this unit, I have limited space in the bed of my truck.

It,s 105 lbs...i made a special bracket to lower the wheels so it fits in my truck bed with a PE hard roll-up cover. My unit is 18 1/2" tall with the wheel kit now. It looks like it will measure 17 1/2" tall without the wheels.

I have seen units like this for 2 to 3 times more :confused:

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 87

Jburks

Thanks, I appreciate the info, with it being only 18 inches or so I thinkit may fit between my hitch and gate, but then again with it being no heavier than that it would not out of the question to make a rack on the back of my Sundance.

Uncle Rog

Jburks, be real careful about trying to keep the unit behind the hitch.
On my maiden voyage, with my Yamaha 3000i SEB, I managed to crush one handle and the top of the fuel tank pretty well.
It is around 20" tall, regardless, that pin box moves all over the place when maneuvering..........................

jpjulian

Thanks all for the good info. Especially the info on the sine wave. Pretty well decided to pass on the cheap genny. Still haven't decided which make to go with. Our rv dealer carries the Kipor. Not trying to run the ac, but Momma wants to boondock again. I just can't give up the creature comforts electricity brings.

Joe

boatdoc

Joe, Have a good, hard look at the Boliy also. It does everything my Kipor does but is a lot lighter. It'll run that whole 3370 of yours. I think they're calling the new one the 4th generation. It's blue and mine is the red one. It seems they got all the little bugs out of this new one.

jpjulian

Joe, Have a good, hard look at the Boliy also. It does everything my Kipor does but is a lot lighter. It'll run that whole 3370 of yours. I think they're calling the new one the 4th generation. It's blue and mine is the red one. It seems they got all the little bugs out of this new one.
That is a slick looking and sounding genset. And light too. Prices seem very competitive. Thanks for your input! Don't think it will run my 15,000 btu AC but I don't really think I will need it in Alaska anyway. I like small and effecient and this seems to be both.

Joe

boatdoc

Joe,
The Boliy runs our 15K A/C just fine!! BIL has one also and has no problems either in is Carriage.