How many ladies out there driving while pulling their 5th wheel?

Chickie

I want to drive while pulling our 5th and learn to back it into the campsite. I would like to receive feedback on the ladies experiences.

My husband thinks this is great that I want to learn ;).

grizzlygiant

Gary is one lucky guy to have a wife like you!!! My wife will NOT touch the wheel when the 5th wheel is attached. I wish she would become familiar just in case there were an emergency.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Gary is one lucky guy to have a wife like you!!! My wife will NOT touch the wheel when the 5th wheel is attached. I wish she would become familiar just in case there were an emergency.

Ditto. My wife won't even drive the truck because it's a dually.

sharmulst

I pull our 5th wheel on occasion. Have only backed into a camp site once and didn't do too bad. We have radios that we use when backing into a site. There have been some people that have taken a class to learn to pull the 5er and also back up. Growing up I drove grain trucks on our farm so driving the Dodge was no big deal, but pulling the 5'er is. Just have to remember that you need to make wider turns.

Chickie

Thanks Sharon. May I ask why just once? I like the idea of radios, we read about that too. I am not good at directing my husband into a spot. I just think I should learn and share the experience "LOL" .

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
My wife pulled our 5th wheel for the first time last season.She pulled for about 30 miles and did fine.When it came time to back the unit down our drive way she said"NO WAY".I believe that all wives should be able to pull and back just in case the hubbies can't.

ct0218

Gail has pulled the fifth wheel once for about 30-40 miles like Renee, but she does back it into a site most of the time--especially if it is a tough site to get into. I can tell her how to back with the trailer better than she can tell me because I have backed various trailers all my life. We also use radios so that there is none of that yelling and strange hand signals. When we had a travel trailer she would drive the truck about 1/4 of the time, but she is a little intimidated by the size of the Landmark. I agree with Terry about the wife knowing how to back, drive, and even set-up and break camp. I helped a lady a couple of years ago when her husband was very ill, and she had never done any of it--nothing--not even once. Not a good position to be in.

Chickie

Thank you for the reply. Glad to hear other ladies out there accomplishing this task. I totally agree with the yelling, hand gestures, and not to mention the running. LOL, I believe this is what is motivating me to learn. Oh and then the whole leveling thing, huh...what stress. Did I say we are newbies?

jpmorgan37

Chickie;

Sue won't pull the fifth wheel, but she is my "eyes" when backing or maneuvering in tight places. We use radios all the time and she talks and I listen. Here is the fun part. I'm dyslexic and I have a problem with right and left, so she has to make it simple (my side-other side) and I have no problem with that direction. It works for us and no yelling. Since she doesn't plan to learn to pull, we are insured to have the rig pulled to a destination of our choice, either through Good Sam or MASA, so I don't worry about it.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lin will pull the trailer on main roads and interstates but not in heavy traffic. No backing either. I seldom let her drive though cause I'm a nervous wreck:eek: and can't get any sleep while she's behind the wheel.:(

nscaler2

Lin will pull the trailer on main roads and interstates but not in heavy traffic. No backing either. I seldom let her drive though cause I'm a nervous wreck:eek: and can't get any sleep while she's behind the wheel.:(

Ray. By implication, your above statement makes it sound like you CAN get some sleep while YOU are behind the wheel. LOOK OUT :confused::confused::confused: :D LOL ;)

bigredtruck

I drove our SOB quite a few times, when DH was working and the kids and I wanted to get away. got pretty good at backing it up and parallel parking next to our house. DH was quite proud and bragged. :). By law, though, I am not allowed to drive the Cyclone (my regular license is ony good for up to 10K pounds). I have to take a course and test to get a permit but with the 5r parked 60 miles south in Washington, it would be hard to practice etc. so I haven't done it yet.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have been pulling our RV since we owned TT's...many, many years ago. Believe me, the TT is alot harder to handle than a 5er. I have also discovered over the years of towing and parking our RV's that the longer the unit, the easier it is to back-up. The longer it is the slower it reacts when turning the wheel, making it easier to determine where it's going. Believe it or not, I'd rather backup this 39 ft 5er than back up the 27ft TT we used to own many years ago.

Every partner should learn, not only how to drive and park their rig, they should learn every facet of hooking, unhooking and setting up. You never know when something could happen...even as simple as your husband breaking their leg or arm, whatever. There could not be anything much worse than being stuck somewhere, totally dependant on the kindness of others when an emergency strikes...so girls get out there and learn...you might find it's actually fun. Especially when you pull into an RV park and jump down out the cab...the looks from most men is priceless!!!:D

Kathy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray. By implication, your above statement makes it sound like you CAN get some sleep while YOU are behind the wheel. LOOK OUT :confused::confused::confused: :D LOL ;)
If it weren't for Lin & a cold bottle of water:eek:, that would be very true. There are time I have to fight hard to stay awake. That's when it's time to pull over and switch. If traffic is light enough I can get a wink or two in.:eek:

Chickie

Kathy, that's what I wanna hear. We can do it!

I agree with the whole team effort, I want to learn it all...I think.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
If he knows how to do it - you should know too! It may take a little longer to get where we're going but we will get there. Although I have not driven with the BH, I did drive several other SOB's both 5er and TT. Forgive me ladies but I'm never doing I-95 never, no, no, not going there sorry! If I have to haul the BH on that road there is certainly a hissy fit my future. Headed to Myrtle Beach this Thursday so - Stay Healthy Honey!

bigredtruck

We pulled into a site once and had to wait for our spot as the husband of the couple leaving had had a heart attack the night before. Good thing his wife knew how to pack up the tent trailer. That is when I decided to learn. DH was a tank truck driver for 19 years so he certainly knew what he was doing, although so much so that it was hard for him to teach me. we went to an industrial park a few times before I took it on my own where I practiced and practiced and we yelled a few times at each other. :) But once I was on my own it was much easier, without his 'expert' advice.
Now I must go put 'his' new mitre saw away as I have finished the baseboards in the house! :)

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Same here Ray.... I seldom let her drive though cause I'm a nervous wreck:eek: and can't get any sleep while she's behind the wheel.:([/quote]
I'd want her to drive more but she won't listen to me! > ( back seat driver).None