Mountain travel

porthole

Retired
suu-weet.

Granted, I only drove a few miles with the old setup and not on the highway at all - but - what a difference.

Our previous trailer was a TT, about 7000+ and it was that trailer that gave me the idea for doing an exhaust brake (while on a trip in upstate NY)

This trailer, at near twice the weight stops better.

So far - very pleased.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Put the truck into 4wd drive, that will lock the front and rear axles and help prevent your rear wheels from locking up

Problem with going "around the mountain" is if you go to the west end you can have a bigger problem going through 28 and 129 :eek:

If you take 129 north because it looks good on the map :D oh my .......

Even more fun on the Harley Huh Duane?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This type of anxiety towing is exactly why we have the truck in our sig!

Chevy 6.6 Duramax, Allison transmission and built in exhaust brake...this truck can hold 55 on a 7 percent grade without ever touching the service brakes with trailer in tow...AND it will stop entire rig without trailer brakes during normal towing situations...gotta love the Beast!! :)

palebluedot

Of all the accessories on the truck the two I absolutely cannot do without is the Prodigy controller and PacBrake exhaust brake. The PacBrake is BY FAR the best money I have spent. I would never even consider towing through the mountains without it. On our 12 state/9K mile trip this past spring it made towing a pleasure. Descending those high mountain passes and actually loosing speed without ever touching the brake pedal is a wonderful thing. I always use it even when not towing, the brake pads should last the life of the truck. If you tow in the high country, install an exhaust brake. I guarantee you will never regret it.

jgilbert

Of all the accessories on the truck the two I absolutely cannot do without is the Prodigy controller and PacBrake exhaust brake. The PacBrake is BY FAR the best money I have spent. I would never even consider towing through the mountains without it. On our 12 state/9K mile trip this past spring it made towing a pleasure. Descending those high mountain passes and actually loosing speed without ever touching the brake pedal is a wonderful thing. I always use it even when not towing, the brake pads should last the life of the truck. If you tow in the high country, install an exhaust brake. I guarantee you will never regret it.

That is the main reason I bought a new truck......so I could get the built in exhaust brake. My new 08 Dodge 5500 with CM hauler bed and an EZ Floater air ride hitch is a great combo for towing my 39 ft fifth wheel. I'm ready to test the mountains, but not until late spring or summer though.

Joe

caissiel

We did the same route with our truck and the previous 12000 Lbs trailer, the wife drove the Miata behind me. I shifted the truck on 3 rd and place the cruise to 35MPH as the Speed Limit and made it up the 15 mile long climb without the truck water temperature go beyound 206F. On the way down I realy scared the wife that was following me, I put the Truck on 3 rd gear and cruise at 35MPH. I heardly used any fuel and the engine keeped the speed withing the Speed Limit with hardly any braking. At every curve she never saw the brake lights and she tought at times I was dreaming. I have the Standard 6 speed. I just love it in the hills. The engine never heats up and the fuel flow is 0 down hills. I figured that my E-Con programer shuts of the turbo vanes and it creates some exhaust restrictions for the downhill.