Brake Adjustment

dbarnard

Could someone tell me which direction to adjust the star wheel on the brakes? Does it adjust out from top to bottom or from bottom to top? Or can it be diff. on each wheel? My brakes don't have the stopping power they used to have. I was going to pull a hub and see but I would have to pull the bearings and all. I'm to lazy to do that. Thanks!

Detmer

If they are like car drum brakes it will be different from the left side to the right side. It will be the same adjuster setup just flipped over so the direction will be opposite.
I have a copy of the Lippert Axle manual and it does not specify what direction the sides go.
So just try one while your are spinning the wheel and feel if it feels like it is starting to drag.
If you are having stopping problems you might want to pull the drums and inspect the linings first. Make sure they are not severly worn.
Good luck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dale, one more thing to think about is, if you have been using the Zerc's to grease your wheel bearings, you may have pumped too much grease in and contaminated you brake drums. Pulling the drums may not be such a bad idea.
Peace
Dave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
First you should have the tire off the ground and find a large piece of cardboard box to lay on!, then adjust the star up or down till you feel the brakes draging and continue till you can not rotate the wheel by hand. Then back off the adjuster 3-6 clicks or till the brakes drag ever so slightly.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not to disagree with detmer but I think both side are adjusted the same. The hardware on automotive drum brakes are opposite because the leading and rear shoe are different and the self adjusting hardware is reversed. The adjusting nut for one side is different than the other.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
There must me a reason, but why arn't trailer drum brakes self-adjusting like most cars and trucks?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Most likely a money issue. I am wondering if someone does make a kit for self adjusting brakes for RV's. If so, I would put them on mine. Bob:confused:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
When I had my maintenance done I notices that they checked the trailer brakes after greasing the wheel bearings, but I am not sure if they were actually adjusted. Do they always need adjusting per lets say 10,000 miles?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Self-adjusting brakes would not be practical for RV's because to adjust the brakes you need to back up and tap the brakes which causes the self-adjuster to adjust the brakes. Backing up an RV to do that might cause problems. Inspection of the brakes should always be done at the time the brakes are adjusted to see if there are any other issues which might cause the need for the adjustments such as excessive wear, grease on linings etc.

khalsey

NEW FROM DEXTER AXLE

topimage.gif

Nev-R-Adjust™ Forward Self-Adjusting Electric Brake
Nev-R-Adj-Brake.gif

Sudden Stop Ahead!

Are Your Trailer Brakes Adjusted?

Road hazards have a tendency to suddenly appear without warning. Add a trailer behind you and there's no time to second guess your ability to stop. In order for trailer brakes to perform as designed, proper adjustment is crucial. Improperly adjusted trailer brakes can greatly sacrifice stopping distance, potentially putting you and your cargo in harm's way.

In the past, trailer owners had to ensure that time consuming manual adjustment had been routinely performed. Now there's no need to worry. Nev‑R‑Adjust™ brakes, only available from Dexter, automatically adjust to proper clearances during travel, allowing you to stop with confidence. Demand better braking. Demand that your trailer be equipped with Dexter's new Nev‑R‑Adjust™ brakes.

FSA_WhiteText_Blk-Bg_11-08.gif

Reduces Stopping Distance

Stopping-Graph.gif

When road hazards suddenly present themselves, every second counts. Dexter's Nev‑R‑Adjust™ brakes have been extensively tested and proven to reduce stopping distances up to 50% versus improperly adjusted brakes.

Retrofits to Existing Axles

Here is something I read on TDR site

Last edited by a moderator:

irvin56

WOW always something new

This site is great for info from all members.

Just ask or post something and someone will dig up the info you need

Thanks Guys and Gals as someone is on top of it.

Thanks khalsey for the posting

khalsey

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=right><NOBR><FORM method=post name=addToBasket action=index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=9527&categoryID=149><INPUT value=1 size=2 name=qty> <INPUT border=0 src="http://shop.easternmarine.com/images/buynow.gif" width=46 height=12 type=image name=submit> </FORM></NOBR></TD><TD align=middle> </TD><TD>12" x 2" NEV-R-ADJUST™ Electric Brake Assembly - R.H. / 7k
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Stock# 5331171[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]12" x 2" Forward Self-Adjusting Right Hand complete electric brake assembly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]This brake is rated to a maximum capacity of 7000 lbs. per pair.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]DEXTER part #K23-465-00 [/FONT]
</TD><TD align=right>[SIZE=+1]$64.95 [/SIZE]</TD></TR></TR><TR><TR><TD align=right><NOBR><FORM method=post name=addToBasket action=index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=9528&categoryID=149><INPUT value="Buy It!" type=hidden name=addToBasket> <INPUT value=1 size=2 name=qty> <INPUT border=0 src="http://shop.easternmarine.com/images/buynow.gif" width=46 height=12 type=image name=submit> </FORM></NOBR></TD><TD align=middle> </TD><TD>12" x 2" NEV-R-ADJUST™ Electric Brake Assembly - L.H. / 7k
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Stock# 5331170[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]12" x 2" Forward Self-Adjusting Left Hand complete electric brake assembly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]This brake is rated to a maximum capacity of 7000 lbs. per pair.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]DEXTER part #K23-464-00 [/FONT]
</TD><TD align=right>[SIZE=+1]$64.95[/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
easternmarine.com has much better prices

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Is it just me or do the shoes on those Dexter brake kits look pretty thin? Otherwise they look like a great way to replace existing brakes when worn.

khalsey

I am thinking about changing to those brakes also. I'm sure the back plate brake assembly will bolt to the Alko Kober axel flange but don't know if the Alko Kober brake drum will work with the Dexter brake assembly.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is the message I got from Lippert who made my frame, suspension and axles when I asked the same question...
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:51 AM
To: 'Bob Curry'
Subject:
Bob, to adjust the brakes you would pull down on your brake spoon to adjust the breaks out

Please submit all new technical assistance requests, parts orders, claims, and status inquiries to warranty@lci1.com .
To expedite your concern, please be sure to include all coach information including:
Last 8 digits of the VIN number, Date of Manufacture, Date of Purchase, Make, and Model.
For axle issues, please also include the Lippert serial number, NV number and DOM
Thank you for your business.
Sincerely,
David Bice
Lippert Components, Inc.
1-866-524-7821

khalsey

Well, I ordered the NEV-R-ADJUST brakes for my Shenandoah. Should be here Tuesday. The people at Eastern Marine said if my axle flange has a 5 bolt pattern with the top bolt centered with the other bolts descending off each side, which mine does, that they should fit. I took only one brake drum off so far and the secondary shoe had cracks in liner.

DennisZ

Ray

I thought the shoes on my BH were worn out when I pulled the drums and saw how thin the backing was. Upon further investigation, I discovered that they were almost still in new condition. If you look at sites that sell trailer brakes, you will find that the thickness of the pads aren't what you and I remember from the pads on cares and trucks. Most of the pads I found had a thickness of thickness of about 3/16" or less, guess thats just the way it is, so it looks like the Dexters may be agood deal.

Dennis