Axle Alignment problem !

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
I was getting our GC ready for the first outing this year, next week. I crawed under the LEFT side at the wheels, just snooping around (checking for wires hanging down:p ). I noticed that my rear tire had a groove in the sidewall :eek: !!!! It isn't very deep, but I could see where the rubber had burned off in balls hanging on the frame.

It seems that the 1" square tubing that turns in a bushing, while the slideout goes out; is rubbing the tire. It is in it's resting position in the worst angle (not up and down, but the corner is closest to the tire).

Has anyone else noticed this? Is is a structure problem (from lippert)? I feel alittle uneasy now. SCOTT, what say you on this matter. Does the axle need moved over a tad? Then will it be close on the other right side slideout mechanism?

driver311

This Is A Warrenty Item

this is a factory defect. it had been changed and tire have been replaced for this defect!!!!!!!!!!!!! so a dealer now about it. make them replace the tire and move the bracket.:mad:

driver311

v92c

Texan
Is this something that effects only the Landmark Grand Canyon or should the rest of us be looking for it too?

Tony

Scott

Tire

Bluegrassman,
I don't know until I see the photos. Contact our Customer Service Department - Chris DeLapaz paz@heartlandrvs.com (West of the Missippi) or Randy Denton randy@heartlandrvs.com (East of the Mississippi) - and email them some photos and they will get you taken care of. I haven't heard of this, so I will get with either Chris or Randy to see the pictures when they get them.
Every once in a while, our frame mfg. gets an extra outrigger (with the one inch sq. tube) in the wrong spot under a slide out. It's not a hard fix - and we will do it under warranty, as well as replace the tire.
Thanks.
ST

BluegrassMan

Hi Scott:

Thanks for the quick get back, I was out this weekend, but lucky for me it was only 60 away 120 total. When I got home today I was cleaning my rig, and found burned rubber on the curb side of the trailer too.Near the wheels. I'll check and take pictures tomorrow. Thanks again.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Bluegrassman
I have the same situation and when looking for the problem I thought it was only while I was making sharp turn that the tire was rubbing. I will have to keep an eye on it now and see if it gets worse. I walk around the trailer and check the tire and feel the hubs to make sure they are not getting hot, so I would think that if the tire was rubbing I would be albe to smell the burning.

BluegrassMan

Hi Fireflipper:
I crawed under the trailer today, looked things over with a trouble light and a digital camera. I'm sending the pix to Heartland per their request. While under there, I noticed the framework holding the left rear leaf spring is CROOKED ! The bolt is going uphill and the spring is tweaked making the rubber gromet twist funny.

I did notice that the square tubing that is part of the slideout is 1/2" from the left rear tire. While on the right side there is at least 2" clearance from the tire. WAZUP ? with that.

BluegrassMan

Hey Guy's:
Good News, Randy emailed me today. I am to contact my local Heartland dealer to schedule the modifications to my chassis and slideout transport system. I'll do that TOMORROW.