Which Pin Box? MorRyde, Fifth Airborne or TrailAir

scotty

gebills,

I have a 07 2500, and it has the 3500 rear springs. I also have the Firestone Air bags and only need to put 20 PSI in them to make mine level. My 3400 BH loaded has a pin weight of 2700 and with no air only sets me down 3 inchs, which actually makes me level. My truck is a 4 x 4 and sits high in the rear unloaded. When I bought the BH I figured I'd need the bags so put them on just prior to picking up the unit, turned out I didn't need them, but not sure for you.

Theresau

Since we responded earlier in the thread we upgraded our Trail Air to a Trail Air Triglide - we took it out for our first trip - and what a difference. Chucking was rare and minimal - whereas, before chucking was quite obvious especially on Michigan roads. We were able to upgrade at a rally price of only $250 - upgrade basically was to replace the lower jaw. Joe installed himself with just a bit of help holding it up.

aatauses

You have recieved some great advice, so I will tell you what we have done. We have a BH 3670 and I pull with a chev 3500. We have the mor-ride pin and my hitch was a husky. I contacted husky and they made a retrofit air system for thier hitch (made by air safe hitches). We put the air bags into the hitch and now have both for/aft protection and minimal up/down movement.al

Flapper

Joe, We are trying to decide which pin box update to go with: the Trailaire or the MorRyde. We see that you have the same TV and Camper that we do. How do you like your set up? We have been reading about adding the air bags to the truck, but would like to go with just the new pinbox if possible......please pass on any information you think we could use. Thanks,

RollingHome

I just sold my Trailair KPB and 18K Pull Rite hitch. With the TrailAir I had chucking... Back & Forth. I installed a Hensley Trailer Saver which is good for up & down. I am now going to install a Mor Ryde which is good for back and forth according to MANY posters on this site. After reviewing the engineering specs it should stop the chucking. I may be a fool but I am counting on the many honest and knowledgable posters on this site to NOT be story tellers and to be honest in their assesment. I've read the Mor Ryde stops the chucking. I'll let you know in a couple of months. By the way, TrailAir and 5th Airborne do the same thing. But, TrailAir is owned by Lippert...

gebills

Hi RollingHome:

Last September I posted on this thread, and had yet to tow our 5'er with the Mor Ryde hitch. I was tempted to install a Hensley hitch, but finally decided to install a Pullrite Super 5th 18k, thinking that if we had a problem, I'd sell the Pullrige and buy the Hensley. Well, I'm tickled to say that we have zero chucking issues during our towing, while pulling on some of the worst roads between Michigan to Texas and Arizona and back up to Seattle. DW has an issue (here I define "issue" as migraine headaches) with any excessive movement, jarring or noise, which I was very nervous about before she rode in our TV while we were towing. Our TV rides better with the 5'er attached, and as mentioned, we've had zero issues with chucking or lurching. In hind sight, I was sweating this issue for quite a while,,,,,, for nothing. IMHO, the Mor Ryde works great; and I can tell you that we have a very smooth ride with our setup. I also have installed air bags on our TV. Happy Trails, gebills.

rarnold

Hi Flapper.

I replaced the stock hitchpin on my '11 Sundance 2900MK with a Trailaire hitchpin prior to taking possession of it. We then drove 4500 + miles from Sacramento up into Alberta, Canada, across the Canadian rockies, over to B.C. and down the coast back home. This is my first fiver and have done nothing extra to the suspension of my '06 Dodge 3500 TD with single rear wheels. I was extremely happy with the towing. No chucking. Good solid towing all the way through the trip. I'm very pleased with the Trailaire. The only thing negative is the "donut" tends to loose a small amount of air over the course of a couple of days. Otherwise, it's a smooth, solid ride.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Be safe out there. Hope to see you out there somewhere.

Rod

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing negative is the "donut" tends to loose a small amount of air over the course of a couple of days. Otherwise, it's a smooth, solid ride.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Be safe out there. Hope to see you out there somewhere.

Rod
Rod, I have had two Trail-Air boxes and both of them have had an air leak at the valve.
Put a little dish soap on where the valve screws into the air bag. You may have a leak there.

Peace
Dave

megacabby

Re: Which Pin Box? MorRyde, Fifth Aitborne or TrailAir

With my previous 5'er by Forest River and fortunately to recieve the incorrect 5th. Airborne order from Camping World, the boys and girls at Camping World subsituted me with a MorRyde. At the same time, they also offered me to substitute back to the correct 5th. Airborne if I was not satisfied.

After travelling 600 KM with the MorRyde, I went back to Camping World and had it replaced with the 5th. Airborne...what a difference! Note however and don't be fooled, there is still minimal verticle and horizontal forces but, definetely minimized by the 5th. Airborne and additional Airlift Airbags on the truck.

lwmcguir

Re: Which Pin Box? MorRyde, Fifth Aitborne or TrailAir

With my previous 5'er by Forest River and fortunately to recieve the incorrect 5th. Airborne order from Camping World, the boys and girls at Camping World subsituted me with a MorRyde. At the same time, they also offered me to substitute back to the correct 5th. Airborne if I was not satisfied.

After travelling 600 KM with the MorRyde, I went back to Camping World and had it replaced with the 5th. Airborne...what a difference! Note however and don't be fooled, there is still minimal verticle and horizontal forces but, definetely minimized by the 5th. Airborne and additional Airlift Airbags on the truck.
5th Airborne is the best pin we have towed with over the years with several air pins having been installed.

rick_debbie_gallant

We are very happy with our fifth airborne. I like the fact the "doughnut" is tucked up and underneath all the workings. it is not exposed to sunlight and I am able to use the ABS or whatever material it is shroud over the pin box, further protecting everything. Would I tell my father to buy one? You bet I would.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also like the 5th Airborne I had put on mine. As mentioned, the plastic shroud is easily modified to slip over it and dress it up. Even without the shroud, it looks like a standard pin box. I also like that the working elements are protected.

JohnDar

I'm purchasing the 5th Airborne as soon as one of you guys give me the $$$$$s. :rolleyes:

Well, if you figure the cost of replacing the fillings in your teeth each trip against the cost of a 5th Airborne, you might see the savings in getting one.:D

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Well, if you figure the cost of replacing the fillings in your teeth each trip against the cost of a 5th Airborne, you might see the savings in getting one.:D

Shoot, our roads here in Virginia are so smooth, I don't ever know there's trailer back there! :rolleyes: (Who am I kidding :confused:)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We like our 5th Airborne, but have no other pin box (besides stock) to compare to. In our case, our 1-ton truck has a very stiff back end, and our trailer is not as heavy. We were experiencing chucking, and an uncomfortable (rough) ride. We added the 5th Airborne about 3 months after buying the rig, and it really helped the chucking. The ride is better, but still a little rough. Our front cap doesn't overhang the pin box as much as the BigHorns, etc. so our shroud didn't fit and look good...I sold it on ebay.

Erika

TravelTiger

John, after seeing yours and comparing pics, our shrouds must have been different, then. Here are pics (actually the one with the shroud was another ElkRidge in our storage lot, but you get the idea.)

IMG_3382.jpgbefore IMG_3384.jpgafter

So the slots on the top opening became exposed with the 5th Airborne, I guess because the pin extended out further.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Hard to tell if they're different or not. If your original hitch was a Lippert 1621HD, then I'm pretty sure the cover would be the same. At any rate, cool that you were able to sell it on Ebay.

TravelTiger

John, I could never find documentation on the OEM pin box prior to ordering the new pin box, but HL Customer Service told me it was the 1621HD. When we went to put the shroud on over the 5th Airborne, the notches in the shroud ended up showing, when the shroud was moved out further to adjust for the 5th Airborne....

pinbox.jpeg

This lead me to believe the OEM pinbox was either not a 1621HD, or the shroud was maybe shorter or altered for the ElkRidge pin box? IDK, water under the bridge. I don't mind it, neat stickers say what it is. :cool: And I think we got $75 for the shroud!

Erika