Magic Jack

Jim & Harriet

has anyone used the magic jack (computer telephone system) "on the road?" we use it at home (via our cable connected desktop pc) and it works quite well. just was not sure how it might work in a campground setting. :confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I suppose it would work the same way. I don't have one (Magic Jack) but I'm guessing the Internet is the same no matter how you connect.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
has anyone used the magic jack (computer telephone system) "on the road?" we use it at home (via our cable connected desktop pc) and it works quite well. just was not sure how it might work in a campground setting. :confused:

It'll work...but, you won't be happy with it. Because there is no echo cancelation or echo suppression, you will get everything you say back in your ear. It's because of the inherent delay in the circuit. There's a couple of other reasons too...but, no point in bringing them up.

Save youself some frustration, buy a cell phone. The Magic Jack is not a satisfactory solution to you long distance needs via satellite.

jpmorgan37

If you don't want to go into a long term contract with a cell phone, get a "Tracfone". You buy the minutes that you use and no monthly fees. We have been using one as a second phone for several years and have been very happy with it. Check it out here.

John

geeksrus

If you don't want to go into a long term contract with a cell phone, get a "Tracfone". You buy the minutes that you use and no monthly fees. We have been using one as a second phone for several years and have been very happy with it. Check it out here.

John

We used Net10 throughout the winter... similar to Tracfone.

Eh!

Jim & Harriet

magic jack

thanks for all your help.
i should have been a bit clearer. we do use tracfone. it works quite well everywhere. but at home we use the magic jack for local and long distance calls. it works well for us. occasionally an echo, but otherwise, for the price, it has been worth the $$$.
i was just trying to conserve the trac-minutes by using the magic jack when we were at campgrounds. guess we will just have to try it.

jpmorgan37

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. If you are at a campground with (decent) WIFI, your Magic Jack should work just like at home. Enjoy your camping.

John

bedroc

Been using a MJ for a couple of months now in different midwest CG's. It works fine as long as the internet connection is at least 128k up and down. Any slower you will get echos. For the most part I have been pretty happy with it, saves cell minutes for me. I would not use it as a primary phone though.

Down load Skype off the internet, it works great.
I travel all over the world and use Skype for all my calls, you must have a internet connection.
The calls are free from computer to computer, it is about .02 to call land lines for US calls and about .20 to the rest of the world, 800 numbers are free.
It is best to invest in a good headset with mic.

Jack Wittmann
Saint louis, MO

Jim & Harriet

hello jack,
thanks for the reminder. i have skype on my laptop - i use it to call my sister who is now in singapore. she and her husband are on a round-the- world boating adventure... i don't use it for calling her phone, just computer-to-computer. works pretty well once you get over the few second delay.

i had not really thought about using it for making phone calls from the rv. i'll give it a try.

Jim & Harriet

wireless skype phone

i do not know anything about this phone. i could not access info via the link. can you tell me a bit about how it works - thanks

rvn4fun

Altell Prepaid

With the cell phone futures changing so fast, I don't know if this is still valid, but we love altell prepaid. Check on it on the internet. We also have a tracphone. The tracphone uses minutes up on all calls, but with altell, we have free calls after 9, free weekend calls and free altell to altell all the time. Regular calls daytime are 10 cents a minute. When you sign up for direct pay each month, out of your checking account, for every 100 dollars you deposit, you get 100 free minutes. Cost is .75 cents a day, about 23 dollars a month. Don't think you can beat it. Don't know how long plan will be around, but we love it.:)