Water leak associated with Refer

azbound

We had a water leak, with water coming into the kitchen under the refer. We have a 09 BH 3400RL w/10 Q Ft. refer. The problem was behind the refer with access from the outside door, I found the water line to the ice maker was touching the burner shield and melted a small pin hole in the line. Poor design, I had plenty of slack so I shortened the line buy cutting out the area with the hole. I then spliced the water line buy adding a cut off valve at that location. I recommend if you have an ice maker that you check the location of the water line, if it is near or touching the heat shield take some steps to relocate it.

Just a suggestion

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Good work! Glad you were able to fixed it yourself. I would rather have a root canal than take my car/ truck/ RV in for warrenty work.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've had the exact same problem. I resolved the problem with the supply line. Now I am having a constant battle with the line from the solenoid valve up to the ice maker. I've unplugged the heat wire but it seems every time we move the line cracks due to it being brittle from the heat wire. I can't trim it any shorter so need to order a new line. Maybe I can have it installed at the National rally. The reefer needs to be pulled for that one.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We've had the exact same problem. I resolved the problem with the supply line. Now I am having a constant battle with the line from the solenoid valve up to the ice maker. I've unplugged the heat wire but it seems every time we move the line cracks due to it being brittle from the heat wire. I can't trim it any shorter so need to order a new line. Maybe I can have it installed at the National rally. The reefer needs to be pulled for that one.

Ray, I have found a great heat shielding product for that line. We use it to protect the o2 sensor wires that run a 1/2" from the Vipers enclosed exhaust headers.
http://www.autobarn.net/thhowiprbyth.html

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
westxsrt10, thanks for the link. The line I need to replace is a soft flexible clear tubing. It is encased in a black sleeve along with a heater wire for freezing weather to prevent it from freezing. The problem is the heater wire causes this tubing to become brittle. I have removed the fuse for the heater wire but the damage has been done as far as the tube is concerned. It's brittle to the point of cracking with minimal movement. I need to replace it and then leave the heater wire disconnected. It's easy enough to route it away from any other heat source once I get the reefer out of the cabinet and replace the line. Again, thanks for the link.